Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone now how to replace motor mounts. Everytime I go for an A or B service - MB always comes up with a $1,000 problem.

Help anyone, please. I really like my old ride and don't really want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
05 ml 350 SE
372 Posts
how much are the motor mounts themselves? cuz i need to replace mine.

did you get pricing from a local mechanic or something? cuz 1000 is steep

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
motor mounts on the ML320 are fairly easy to change but to do it correctly, you need a jackstand (not floor jack or small jack stands). the way I do it is remove both front wheels, both inner fender liners to expose the engine, then remove the 2 bolts on the underside of each mount, then remove the top bolt of each mount then with the jack up under the engine, jack the motor up as far as it will go (at the same times watching to avoid pinching any lines), then remove and replace the mounts and make sure you install them in the correct position, they can be installed wrong. now the 320-350 ML are fairly easy, but the ML430-500 are more difficult.

now depending on how your dealer does labor rates, $1000 may be right. I charge 5 hours labor for motor mounts and tranny mount on an ML. our shop charges $123.50/hr and I think it goes up if more hours, it is garbage, but......

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz ML350 MY 2008
128 Posts
Streetglower said:
motor mounts on the ML320 are fairly easy to change but to do it correctly, you need a jackstand (not floor jack or small jack stands). the way I do it is remove both front wheels, both inner fender liners to expose the engine, then remove the 2 bolts on the underside of each mount, then remove the top bolt of each mount then with the jack up under the engine, jack the motor up as far as it will go (at the same times watching to avoid pinching any lines), then remove and replace the mounts and make sure you install them in the correct position, they can be installed wrong. now the 320-350 ML are fairly easy, but the ML430-500 are more difficult.

now depending on how your dealer does labor rates, $1000 may be right. I charge 5 hours labor for motor mounts and tranny mount on an ML. our shop charges $123.50/hr and I think it goes up if more hours, it is garbage, but......
I did my motor & transmission mounts at the dealership in March 2007, the total charge was approximately $450 (labour & parts included).
They spent approximately 3.5 hrs. I 'll give you accurate numbers once I find my receipt, ...if you need to know!.... It wasn't bad imho !...

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
761 Posts
ml3addict said:
how much are the motor mounts themselves? cuz i need to replace mine.

did you get pricing from a local mechanic or something? cuz 1000 is steep

They are $45 each side. I over heard the tech speaking to my extended warranty company,
this was at Mercedez Benz of Encino California.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
MBRob said:
How can you tell if your motor mounts need replacing? What are the symptoms?
When you take off from a dead stop there will be a thud that you will feel and may hear like something is hitting the frame. It is actually the motor mount hitting it's stop. They are easy to change if you know what you are doing. I just did mine. It took longer to change the spark plugs, ( they were all tight). I took pics when I get time I will post them...

·
Registered
99 ML320 , 03 ML320
166 Posts
Alldata lbr time guide pays warranty time 3.2hrs all 3 mounts ,, customer pay time is 4.6hrs for all mounts ,,,
i dont know where you are located but im sure there are plenty of shops out there in the 80 hr range ,,
i would go to a local mechanic and get them checked out , all mounts dont necessarily go bad all at once .... and im sure you can find someone locally to do all mounts for alot cheaper ,,,,,

if you guys need any lbr times pulled on any car let me know ,,

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
anytime you replace the motor mounts, you should also replace the transmission mount. if the engine mounts have been collpased for some time it puts stress on the trans mount

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
anytime you replace the motor mounts, you should also replace the transmission mount. if the engine mounts have been collpased for some time it puts stress on the trans mount

·
Registered
07-ML350 (benz #9)
359 Posts
rudedude said:
When you take off from a dead stop there will be a thud that you will feel and may hear like something is hitting the frame. It is actually the motor mount hitting it's stop. They are easy to change if you know what you are doing. I just did mine. It took longer to change the spark plugs, ( they were all tight). I took pics when I get time I will post them...
Hey Rudedude,
How many miles on your ML320? Mine seem to be fine right now but I was wondering how long it took for yours to start wearing out. I just recently turned 100K on the odo. I've done this replacement on 2 W123's and 1 W124.... both were pretty easy to do. And I did motor and tranny mts at the same time.

Thanks,
Z

·
Registered
7 Posts
2001 ML 320.... 70K miles........ Just had my motor mounts changed..... Dealer charged $412 including parts and labor...........

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
I Changed the motor mounts on my ML320 at the dealer for 360$.I bought them at Autohausaz.com for 25$ a piece.They also performed a recall for the Harmonic Balancer and the car runs very stable now.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
DETANE said:
They are $45 each side. I over heard the tech speaking to my extended warranty company,
this was at Mercedez Benz of Encino California.
For a $45 part, I wish MB could have made it more durable by spending
another couple dollars more.

Anyway, I wonder how much of the wear and tear on the mounts is due to lead foot driving. Feedback anyone ?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,312 Posts
mlfun said:
For a $45 part, I wish MB could have made it more durable by spending
another couple dollars more.

Anyway, I wonder how much of the wear and tear on the mounts is due to lead foot driving. Feedback anyone ?
I am getting some impression that MB rubber parts made in 1999 and for few years after are made by the same manufacturer, who did harmonic balancers.
I used to drive 22-years old 123 model and regardless 250,000 miles of leaks the mounts still hold. I replaced them in about 20 minuts and $9 each. The grommets on washer pumps never failed. Now in our 2001 model the washer pum grommets turn into the dust.
Our 9-years old ML is still having all original parts but MAF. That include all 3 batteries.

·
Registered
ML320
5 Posts
Just replaced engine and tranmission mounts (163-240-02-17 and 163-240-03-17) at the dealership for $500.93. Thanks to the extended warranty. Currently at 89k miles, and hopefully these rubber mounts will last another 89k miles!

·
Registered
2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
980 Posts
what we need are pics guys. Please post pics of how to replace motor mounts if anyone has any.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts