Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering how much do the stealerships charge to change motor mounts on our W126's? I need some now and need to know what everybody else has maybe paid. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I recently had this done on my wife's 300se. Total parts and labor came to $215.00, from an independent MB mechanic.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
might be a dumb question but when do u know to change them???

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We heard a abnormal groaning. Ours were very bad.We rarely have passengers, but we really noticed when we had like 500 lbs. of passengers in the rear seat. I guess it gets noisy under a load.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
MRTIKKET - 3/16/2005 7:56 PM

I recently had this done on my wife's 300se. Total parts and labor came to $215.00, from an independent MB mechanic.
motor mounts are less than $30 each new- so the mechanic either charged you $140+ per hour at one hour, or $70 and two hours. My wife had to go to work today after my work and I removed a set of mounts for my 500sel from a 420 in the junkyard with what tools I had on hand in about 10 minutes, with the engine in place of course. I've changed motor mounts in my driveway in less than 40 minutes.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a good mechanic who will install both of mine for $180.00. I've had two others who wanted to charge me outrageous amounts like $300. - $400. Just was wondering. Thanks.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
MTUpower - 3/16/2005 10:34 PM
motor mounts are less than $30 each new- so the mechanic either charged you $140+ per hour at one hour, or $70 and two hours. My wife had to go to work today after my work and I removed a set of mounts for my 500sel from a 420 in the junkyard with what tools I had on hand in about 10 minutes, with the engine in place of course. I've changed motor mounts in my driveway in less than 40 minutes.
Are there 3 motor mounts -- two in front and one rear?
How many did you manage to change in 40minutes?

I assume that you jacked up the car and placed something under the engine at oil pan to support the motor while you did it. Please elaborate how you did it as I am in need of replacing mount(s) and if it is as straightforward as it sounds, I'd give it a try myself.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You'll need a metric allen socket set with both a rachet and a "breaker bar" -- 1/4 and 3/8 drives, some extensions, safety glasses, a shop light, a small hydraulic jack, a plank of teak or other wood and the mounts. It helps if the car is on a few blocks to raise the front end for easier access bottom of the mounts. Obviously be sure the car has chocks on the rear wheels and is in park and the parking brake is on. Safety is job one whenever you are under the car. The engine foot is secured to the mounts from the bottom with a allen headed bolt. Remove it. Place the jack under the oil pan with the teak as a load spreader and jack the engine up a bit- it will only go so far until the engine shocks are at full extention. Either from the top or underneath remove the mount guards if you have them, and then remove the mounts two allen bolts. The outer bolt (more forward) will be easy to remove with a rachet and extensions- if you have a universal it makes it even quicker. The rear inner allen bolt will not allow a standard 3/8 rachet head because of interference with the engine foot, so a breaker driver of 1/4 or 3/8 is needed, and a short allen socket. You could always use a metric allen wrench instead to break it loose. Remove the inner allen blot. Now the mount can be removed and replaced with the reverse steps. Do one side at a time as you need the other side to steady the engine as you lower it to install the engine foot to the mount- it may not line up exactly where it needs to be so you may have to massage it so you can start the allen bolt from the bottom. Be sure to wear the safety glasses- oily dirt stuff in your eyes is not fun. A quick dose of liquid wrench or PB blaster on the six allen bolts an hour before the job will assist in easy removal. Remember that petroleum products and rubber dont mix will so try to clean the area before installing the new mounts if need be, for longer mount life. I'm a mechanic on large sportfishing yachts with now three MB's, having just sold my 85 SD.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Seems like alot of effort to save $150 in labor costs.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. I agree. That's a lot of work and could be very dangerous if not done on a lift. Sounds like you definitely need clearance to work under there. Somethings are better done with the proper tools and set-up.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
86 Posts
But doing it yourself is what it's all about!!...

if you're interested in it.
Granted, it's a tradeoff sometimes - do YOUR job to earn $$ to have the mechanic do it, or experience the thrill of DIY and hope you don't break something else (or yourself)!

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know exactly what you mean. I like the satisfaction of DIY with outstanding results. But, you still want to be safe in the process.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, that’s a good write up. I put my car up on steel ramps, so my belly
would fit under the car. It’s also nice to have an air compressor handy so
you can blow all the dirt out of the 4 cap screws, 2 in each mount on
the topside.

I had to take my motor shocks off so I could install new mounts,
(not enough clearance) old ones were really compressed, that also allows
you access to the cap screws closest to the motor thru the shock mount holes.

Also used a bottle jack and 2x4 under the oil pan to lift the motor.
Since I had the motor shocks off I also pull the top radiator hose off
so as not to crack the plastic neck when lifting the motor.

Over all an easy but dirty job, that took me 2hrs. The money I
saved by doing it myself well probably go into some other new
part on the car, or a new tool.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. I also consulted the CD manual and decided it was beyond what I feel comfortable with so I took it to the shop. It cost $205 to change two collapsed mounts in front, and since it was a slow day at the shop, they let me in the garage and observe the work. I had a good view of the car from underneath and had nice chat with the owner of the garage as we inspected the undercarriage. For a car that spent all its life in New York State, it was in surprisingly excellent condition - hardly any rust that made the owner assume it was a CA or FL car and that made my day.

All in all, it was $205 well spent.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
MRTIKKET - 3/17/2005 10:12 PM

Seems like alot of effort to save $150 in labor costs.
It does if you have three benz's, two BMW's, a Superbird, three other cars and looking to buy more. You may not think $140 an hour is good money, either saving or spending, but others do. Remember that some of us may not be in the same position. A just out of high school man working for minimum wage with a two mouths to feed besides his own may want to change his own mounts.
As with anything, you have three things which factor in- 1) knowledge (and ability), 2) time, and 3) money. Life's get it done projects involve these- and if you have a great amount of one, you need less of the others. No money?- spend alot of time gaining knowledge (ability) and trying- you'll get it done. No knowledge ?- either spend $ or spend time gaining ability. No time?- spend $ or gain knowledge.
An hour of my time, and effort. Effort is really nothing in the mechanical world- after any job is over what does it matter if you spend alot of effort or nearly none? Effort is just hard work- if you don't want to work hard at any mechanical task then you shouldn't start it in the first place.
BTW, if you have junk yard resources, the mounts from any w123 except non turbo diesel models and all w126 models are the same. Non turbo diesel mounts are a bit softer, but identical in shape and size.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
MTUpower - 3/19/2005 9:09 AM
As with anything, you have three things which factor in- 1) knowledge (and ability), 2) time, and 3) money. Life's get it done projects involve these- and if you have a great amount of one, you need less of the others. No money?- spend alot of time gaining knowledge (ability) and trying- you'll get it done. No knowledge ?- either spend $ or spend time gaining ability. No time?- spend $ or gain knowledge.
An hour of my time, and effort. Effort is really nothing in the mechanical world- after any job is over what does it matter if you spend alot of effort or nearly none? Effort is just hard work- if you don't want to work hard at any mechanical task then you shouldn't start it in the first place.
I like the way you put it. Right now, I am redoing the shower myself. I have no hesitation working on home improvement stuff, including plumbing wiring and smaller electrical jobs, but working on moving parts and machinery is another matter. I'd say for the shower, I have a lot of #1 and some #2, but with the car, it's much less of #1, some #2 and #3 I saved from DIY shower remodeling.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mr Tikket has alot of good things to say and I didnt mean to sound harsh as I respect his views, but I get a "flow" out of working on the benz's I own- I know what needs to be done and how to do it and when the unexpected comes up I actually relish it. I'd rather work on the car than alot of other things to pass the time- (as if I have time to pass!). It's really not about saving the $ for me.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hey, if this is something that interests, by all means do it. I don't have any mechanical ability or inclination. Thank god I have great mechanics to do these repairs.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
78 Posts
That's a great write up above. Thanks for going through it.

I've been reading all the older threads as I wait for my 83 300SD to arrive (being shipped from FL). Having read that mounts are a frequent neglected item I figured I'd read up on the R&R so I can check mine out when the car gets here.[:I]

I like to work on mine as much as I can. I find the more I do the better I understand them and the knowledge I gain just makes me feel better. Plus, the more I know about my vehicles the better I can diagnose issues or be better prepared to keep an eye out for potential problems arising. Working on your own cars isn't for everyone, and previously wasn't for me, but now I've discovered it's something I really enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts