Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 430, 2001 ML55
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 sets of motor mounts, one Bilstein and the other Anchor. They are both the revised versions with the bigger gap. However the Bilsteins bolt is not seated to the bottom and the Anchor brand ones are. Anyone have any clues? Both sets are brand new. On both, what appears to be a rubber washer in the center, does not have anything in there. It’s just how the mold was. I can’t tell if it’s supposed to have a actual rubber washer around the bolt in the center. Wondering if anyone knows the right/best ones to install?
ABEBA32D-B60B-42D7-9823-562F4DC919EB.jpeg
FBA4CA0A-DA75-473E-8B67-C27B4A3D43F4.jpeg

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,177 Posts
Get rid of them both and get oem ones. Or you're doing the job again in 3k miles.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 ML320
178 Posts
I have never noticed the rubber in the middle and had to check the ones I used. Sure enough, it is there. Can't comment on life expectancy of others, but I used Tenacity mounts and have about 40k on them so far

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
2,073 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows the right/best ones to install?
I would have no issue with the febi-bilstein the other not familiar with.
Does it have a number stamped in it.
The bolt is Just press in like a wheel stud on a American car.

When I changed mine, one bolt was not pressed in, was a non issue. Can’t remember exactly, I either tapped on it from the back to set it or mounted it and during reassembly it set on its own.

I would though only use two of the same brand to ensure the rubber had the same density.( unless the non febi is a rebranded febi proven by the same number or other markings that appear to indicate they came out of the same mold.

I do not think you need to go with MB, just stay away from URO.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,177 Posts
I would have no issue with the febi-bilstein the other not familiar with.
Does it have a number stamped in it.
The bolt is Just press in like a wheel stud on a American car.

When I changed mine, one bolt was not pressed in, was a non issue. Can’t remember exactly, I either tapped on it from the back to set it or mounted it and during reassembly it set on its own.

I would though only use two of the same brand to ensure the rubber had the same density.( unless the non febi is a rebranded febi proven by the same number or other markings that appear to indicate they came out of the same mold.

I do not think you need to go with MB, just stay away from URO.
Strongly disagree. OEM only when it comes to the mounts.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
2,073 Posts
At the time I was new to Mercedes, I used Anchor 9265 have had no issue at all and have put over 20,000 miles on them installed in the 500.

Now being more educated, I might consider a different brand, but again no issues. Buying through advance auto I have a lifetime warranty, standard is 1yr.

Yes a lifetime warranties is not worth it if in 3000 they fail, but mine are Still good

Again I see no issue with the Febi-Bilstien. If they make bad mount that fail after 3000 their shocks must be utter garbage.

What ever you do report back. We are here to help. It be interesting to see if MB changed their design ie the center rubber washer?

last note why I did not buy MB mounts. Many times my local dealer Does not stock many items, Tony the parts manager usually says it will take over a week to get, and makes suggestions as to what manufacturer he has heard makes them for MB. In this case he did not have them, suggested a local Small euro parts store which would of ordered the Anchor. Got them for less and faster at advance.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
2,073 Posts
I have 2 sets of motor mounts, one Bilstein and the other Anchor.
I did say

“I would have no issue with the febi-bilstein the other not familiar with.“

The “Anchor” name slipped my mind, until I looked up my Advance Parts receipt to see what I installed When writing about it this AM. I thought I put on Meyle, that was the differential bushing.

Got to ask how did you get 2 different ones?

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
4,670 Posts
Moog and Lemforder are the 2 others (vs. oem).
Not to confuse the mix here.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,384 Posts
Again I see no issue with the Febi-Bilstien. If they make bad mount that fail after 3000 their shocks must be utter garbage.
Febi-Bilstein is not the same company as Bilstein shocks. That said I have Febi mounts in the ML55 and OE MB mounts in the ML320. Couldn't tell much if any difference in the hand other than the Febi stamp and perhaps I overlooked that section in the middle. The Febi mounts have about 4-5k on them now issue free.

·
Registered
ML 500 '02
586 Posts
The question is who are the OEM? There may be more than one. Pretty sure Mercedes doesn't mfr the mounts themselves.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,442 Posts
Designo, do you mean that list that showed who was the Original OE suppliers for a particular MB model ?

I saw that list a couple years back. It gave the OE supplier name next to each system or sub system on our w163.

Assuming so, then that would be a nice resource as at least we would know which company has the most experience making the best quality mounts & presumably best materials, etc.

One of our 'super-veterans' like Rudeney probably knows how to dig up that list....

I have 2 'OE' mounts bought a couple years back. I'm getting closer to install....

Thank you - David

PS: My DS mount has been broken for 2.5 years. I live with it.

It's not a deal breaker, but it does limit how 'thrashing fast' I can make the ML Fly. I suspect that early on in first year of ownership I did a couple of 'flooring it exhibition of speed' sessions and it broke.

It's important to note for newbies that there is a Bolt Limiter so that even a broken mount has a limit to how much it can move, but you do get increased vibration and a 'funny' feel upon a medium powered launch from a dead stop.

Plus, if you had a 2nd mount go - either the other Engine mount OR the Tranny Mount, you would probably have SO much engine / tranny slop that it would be VERY noisy & bothersome to drive.

Maybe those who've had both Engine mounts break can say.....?

·
Registered
ML 500 '02
586 Posts
Yes, that was the list. I know I saved it but can't find it now. I'll keep looking. I could have sworn it was on Wolfgang's site. I could be wrong.

Damon.

·
Registered
ML 500 '02
586 Posts
Dunno. Not my list. Best to look for markings on an original part.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,384 Posts
A bored drunk guy would tell you that a set of W163 motor and trans mounts can be changed in less time than it would take to reliably investigate who the OE supplier is and the dealer parts are only about $40-50 more for the trio than aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts