Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2000 ML320
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 ML320 - Drivers side motor mount needs replacing.
I currently have the car up on jack stands, the front drivers side tire is off, the inner fender is removed and the little heat shield is removed. I have read all of the posts I could find and have a copy of the instructions that I assume come from mercedes (THEY ARE COMPLETELY VAGUE) and almost useless. My questions are:
1. Are the nuts on the mounts 18mm?
2. To change the drivers side motor mount only, do you have to remove the bottom engine mount nuts on the passenger side mount also?
3. Does the drivers side heatshield mounting bracket, that I removed the small heat shield from, have to come out also?

Thank you in advance for any help

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,984 Posts
I found these linked PDF instructions to be spot on and helpful.

We have alldata at the body shop and I believe 43sqd posted this PDF. I looked it
up again and the procedure is still the same on the alldata system.

Hope it helps, because they worked for me and took any guess work out of
it. I do not remember what size the nuts are.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/att...ivers-side-engine-mount-r-i-engine-mounts.pdf

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,659 Posts
have a copy of the instructions that I assume come from mercedes (THEY ARE COMPLETELY VAGUE) and almost useless.
These instructions were made for the Mercedes mechanic, working in a proper shop, with a lift and a full set of tools. They were not made for the DIY'ers, or shade tree mechanics, or weekenders.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2000 ML320
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2000 ML320 - Drivers side motor mount needs replacing.
I currently have the car up on jack stands, the front drivers side tire is off, the inner fender is removed and the little heat shield is removed. I have read all of the posts I could find and have a copy of the instructions that I assume come from mercedes (THEY ARE COMPLETELY VAGUE) and almost useless. My questions are:
1. Are the nuts on the mounts 18mm?
2. To change the drivers side motor mount only, do you have to remove the bottom engine mount nuts on the passenger side mount also?
3. Does the drivers side heatshield mounting bracket, that I removed the small heat shield from, have to come out also?

Thank you in advance for any help
Went ahead and got her done and the answers are:
1. 18mm on the single top nut and 16mm on the two bottom nuts
2. Yes, you must remove the two bottom nuts from both motor mounts to get the engine lift clearance you need to remove one of the mounts.
3. No you do not have to remove the bracket that holds the heat shield on the drivers side to replace the drivers side mount

I recommend using a universal joint after the socket for the drivers side bottom nuts.
A wrench with the built in 18mm ratcheting end is helpful on the drivers side top nut

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,984 Posts
Glad it is all together. Well done.

What kind of difference do you feel? I have a feeling I am due for set on my wife's ML.
I have to get to the shop and put it on a lift when there is a free one if I don't want to
pay the internal shop rate. The service side of the shop has been crazy, the body shop
has been slooooooow. I have a feeling the vibration at idle in drive with the brakes
applied are the engine mounts and possibly the trans mount. I have a set for all of them
and got so burnt out doing the drive shaft support bearing I never looked at her engine
mounts. I have to have shoulder surgery so I can't work on a vehicle above my shoulders
for more than a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2000 ML320
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad it is all together. Well done.

What kind of difference do you feel? I have a feeling I am due for set on my wife's ML.
I have to get to the shop and put it on a lift when there is a free one if I don't want to
pay the internal shop rate. The service side of the shop has been crazy, the body shop
has been slooooooow. I have a feeling the vibration at idle in drive with the brakes
applied are the engine mounts and possibly the trans mount. I have a set for all of them
and got so burnt out doing the drive shaft support bearing I never looked at her engine
mounts. I have to have shoulder surgery so I can't work on a vehicle above my shoulders
for more than a couple of hours.
I no longer feel the engine bang around on hard acceleration - very noticable before mount replacement

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2000 ML320
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MLSL. How did you lift the motor. Hows about a write up.
Was that song about a train from your neck of the woods.
I lifted the engine with a 2 ton engine hoist at the front lifting eye.

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
I just replaced both mounts on my '02 ML500. Lifted the engine by pushing it from underneath. Had to remove the torsion bar to be able to fit the jack and a block of wood between it and the oil pan. I was surprised at how much the engine needs to be lifted to clear the mount top screw. On my W124, the engine had to be lifted 1/2 as much.

·
Registered
2000 ML320; engine number 30 633407; last 6 VIN 172300
363 Posts
A question I have is does anyone know the reason the viscous fan needs removed? My guess is that if you don't, it will get smashed into the fan shroud when you hoist the engine up, but I am not positive on that.

·
Registered
1999 ML430, 2009 ML350, 2010 ML550
225 Posts
A question I have is does anyone know the reason the viscous fan needs removed? My guess is that if you don't, it will get smashed into the fan shroud when you hoist the engine up, but I am not positive on that.
Per step 5 of Noodles' PDF, you will have to remove the viscous fan.

·
Registered
1999 ML430, 2009 ML350, 2010 ML550
225 Posts
I know, I was just curious about the reason.
I apologize, I misunderstood your question. I believe you are correct, it's a tight fit and since the engine would lift at an angle there is a chance the fan could be damaged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts