Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the mooches for a walk last night and ran into a soon to be forgotten 380 SLC. So I went back and took a few pics of that and some OT cars we passed on the way.

The E420 has been in the Phillips lot for a week or so. It is immaculate, gorgeous, perfect, not a nick on it.

I've talked to a sales guy and of course the parts guys at Phillips, nice gentlemen. They have an impressive looking repair facility. Although from midnight walks with the mooches, their neighborhood has a few less feral cats.

The Carrera 4 has been sitting there motor-less I guess for about two years. Kind of sad, rust free. It just needs a Chevy 283 small block :).

I can't get my head around the S Class wheel wells. I always thought that they looked copied from a Mitsubishi SUV. No offense, to each his own.

I have no idea what the tan behemoth is. Looking at the wings, I can't tell if it burns gasoline or Hydrazine. A mechanic from the shop came over and distracted me long enough for mooches to find some crap and roll in it. Dogs would be the perfect pet except that one bad habit. The car (spaceship) is for sale, $10k for the guy to break even. Rust.

There was a nice guy doing some touch up work in the Phillips yard on a Rover. We hit it off pretty good, turns out all of our grandparents came over on the boat from Italy. It's nice to meet people along the way that are open to conversation with strangers.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Pretty cool. We don't have any good yards around here like we did when I was a kid. Back then you could find anything and everything under the sun, wander around take off what you needed and they would throw in the various little extras you might need.

Now here in CT you can't wander the yards, and the cars that don't get crushed immediately are so rusty from the damned liquid calcium compounds the spray on the winter roads that there is nothing left to look at.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
And I'm amazed there is a '59 Caddy of any bodystyle out in a yard these days. I used to have a pretty nice 1961 Series 62 convertible.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,104 Posts
My Aunt in Ocala FL bought a 62 convertible Caddy new and had it up until her eyesight started to fail 8 years ago.

She told me about the time she was backing out of a parking spot at the grocery store when a soccer Mom in a minivan scooted behind her as she was backing up.

"I opened that van up like it was a tin can!"

Fuck those fins where huge.

·
Registered
658 Posts
No yards around me anymore, either.
The slc and the porsche look nice, but I think I'd take the Caddy!
With a car like that, you don't need housing. Just move in and
bring a blanket, a change of underwear and a toothbrush:D

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
My '61 Caddy had the smoothest engine I have ever seen. You could set a water glass on the air cleaner while it was running no ripples, just smooth.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,596 Posts
There was a nice guy doing some touch up work in the Phillips yard on a Rover. We hit it off pretty good, turns out all of our grandparents came over on the boat from Italy. It's nice to meet people along the way that are open to conversation with strangers.
Always good to take protection while "cruising" even in salvage yards.
My grandparents also came over from Italy but they landed in Houston instead of the east coast. Migrated north to the coal mines in SE Kansas.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
And I'm amazed there is a '59 Caddy of any bodystyle out in a yard these days. I used to have a pretty nice 1961 Series 62 convertible.
I'm impressed with the condition of the Caddy.

In '59 my uncle purchased a new red Coupe deVille. Wow! What a car that was - like driving your living room. Nothing like those bullet tail lights- still love 'em.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting further away from Pongo :))) and in the opposite direction from the SLC is this old creature. I had to chimp over a fence at dusk, no artistic merit here.

I think New Mexico is the land of Abandonment. The Chevy Apache truck looks like somebody just drove there and left it. The blue car is slowly sinking into the earth, a NM car burial.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good video: Alpina v AMG. Even though I speak not a word of German.

Both nice cars. Wonder which one is actually worth more $ now a days.
Not many of either of them around, not here anyways.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts