Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the highest milege on a inline 3.2 is without a rebuild. I've found threads discussing milege but 99% of the cars are diesel powered. I've got 145,000 and wondered how much more she will take?
Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
It depends how the car has been maintained. Has it already had the wiring harness replaced, a new head gasket , tranny work done etc ?. If looked after, I think it can go another 100000 miles.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Mine had the headgasket and valve guides replaced at 145K miles. Now it has 205K miles and doesn't consume any oil between 10K mile oil changes. I'm sure it can go another 100K. The M104 is a great engine!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
200K, easy. Even with lousy maintenance. Although it'll cost you to get it there. With routine maintenance, 300K. If you're fussy, the sky's the limit. I am sure there are bottom ends out there with 500K on them (taxis). Truth be told, almost every Benz W124 owner I have ever known has traded the vehicle prematurely, and has regretted it. Once the wearable stuff starts going, it can be a temptation, but with someone going over the vehicle at least once a year I am of the opinion there is no good reason to get rid of any M104 powered Benz, ever.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i've got 128,500 and the motor still feels like new. no oil burnt. perfect compression. still need to get head gasket looked at but last time it was looked at which was at 114k it was fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got 144k on mine with absolutely no issues (Original Head gasket). The power is wonderful and smooth. It also just made the Georgia emissions test look stupid. I'm hoping to make 170k before I have to replace the gasket. I need to save the money for the wiring harness and other stuff that goes along with this procedure.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Update: just had to replace my (original) thermostat and coolant sensor. It's the first non-maintenance expense I've had in almost 4 years. 164K

1 - 10 of 10 Posts