Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 E320. The dealer took out the CD changer (I saw theat before buying, and priceed that in).

I want to add a CD changer , preferably new, preferably, easy to add, preferably, MP3 player compatible. I hear MB stock changer does not do MP3 songs...

What model of Alpine/similar should I get? Criteria being, easy to install, no permanent wire chopping etc., I believe I have a fibre optic pigtail in my trunk, I have this metal twisty thingy that has cable Tv like outer thing and center single pin. I also have a dangling power socket. Any idea about what kind of frame,brackets I need?

I am so confident that so many of you here have done this already, I am being very tempted to get specific.

Thanks in advance..
[:eek:)]

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
You can install the Alpine MP3 changer but it will have to be RF modulated. No aftermarker...

You can install the Alpine MP3 changer but it will have to be RF modulated. No aftermarker changer will connect to your fiber optic cable. The "dangling power socket" will provide power and remote turn on leads. But instead of going all the way back to your trunk, the Alpine MP3 changer will fit in your glove box making a much easier and faster install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: You can install the Alpine MP3 changer but it will have to be RF modulated. No aftermarker

You can install the Alpine MP3 changer but it will have to be RF modulated. No aftermarker changer will connect to your fiber optic cable. The "dangling power socket" will provide power and remote turn on leads. But instead of going all the way back to your trunk, the Alpine MP3 changer will fit in your glove box making a much easier and faster install.
Are you saying (pardon my inherent ignorance, but I am not into pulling things out on this car yet) the glove box has a coupling of the fibre optic cable that goes to the trunk? I prefer to put in a CD changer with mp3 capability rather than a mp3 (fixed disk type) player alone. I still have the 30 CDs I own but am tired of carrying so many.. Hence the intent to convert them to MP3 or freeload on mp3 stuff from Gnotella sites.

Anyway, I get 2 things from your note.. 1. i need a fibre optic to regular converter thingy.. Then 2. I can use alpine, a model number will help greatly.. but.. brackets/assembly in the trunk?

Is the sound quality on the MD CD changer with fibre optic substantially better? Seems like I read that people have no problems with Alpine whereas their MB cd changers are eventually dying and saying no CD and things like that...

thank you in advance

Logikman

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
Sorry, I didn't make it clear. My above description is a way to add a changer by bypassing...

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. My above description is a way to add a changer by bypassing the fiber optic connector. As far as I know, the only way to connect a changer using the fiber optic link is to use the MBZ changer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Sorry, I didn't make it clear. My above description is a way to add a changer by bypassing

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. My above description is a way to add a changer by bypassing the fiber optic connector. As far as I know, the only way to connect a changer using the fiber optic link is to use the MBZ changer.
I am not quite stuck on using fibre optic... unless it has significant quality gain.. I can trade some of it for price/MP3 compatible CD changer..

do you think I should just stick with MB changer and shell the $420 and hook up? I guess, Alpine would be cheaper and more featured... Still need help to make up my mind.. Pros and cons...

Thanks

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230 - White
237 Posts
My suggestion... just put in a MP3 player for now... 1 CD-Rom can hold 10 albums!

Just MP3 your CD's and put them on CD-Roms. At any time in the future you can upgrade and get a CD changed installed if you feel you need it. It isn't a big deal to run the wires from the rear of the car to the headunit. Personally I use Pioneer car audio. I have used Pioneer for many years and have always had no problems. Plus, I worked selling and installing car audio. Pioneer is VERY good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts