Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes E430 Black
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the radiator on my 2000 E430. The transmission fluid on this car has never been changed so I thought I would take this opportunity to change it. I've read the maintentance threads on ATF change and was wondering if I could hook up one of the transmission cooler lines I removed from the radiator to an air compressor and the other one to a waste container and get most of the ATF out without removing the pan. Does anyone know if this would work or if any harm would be done? Thanks for any advice you could give.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Don't do it!!

I am replacing the radiator on my 2000 E430. The transmission fluid on this car has never been changed so I thought I would take this opportunity to change it. I've read the maintentance threads on ATF change and was wondering if I could hook up one of the transmission cooler lines I removed from the radiator to an air compressor and the other one to a waste container and get most of the ATF out without removing the pan. Does anyone know if this would work or if any harm would be done? Thanks for any advice you could give.
I can't discourage this strongly enough. First, there are those who believe a pressure flush as done with a machine has the potential to create problems and there are already several threads discussing this. But the much higher pressure of an air compressor means you are almost certain to drive particles and contaminants at very high pressure into places they should not be and and end up with a new transmission to join with the new radiator.

Moreover, if the fluid has never been changed before you have a pan with accumulated debris in the bottom and a filter that is past its prime and all the pressure will do is swirl that stuff around.

With the radiator out you could do the DIY and use the trans to flush the fluid but without coolant you risk creating a hot spot...and you still have the dirt in the pan and an old filter.

Just do them separately and you will increase you AT's chances for a long and trouble-free life.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,473 Posts
DITTO on not using the compressed air. It will not blow much of the fluid, while too much potential for damage. No mileage stated? Do you really need it?
You can do what most owner do and just pull the plug on the pan replacing 2-3 quarts. Seems satisfy most of the owners.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
I remember seeing a DIY from one of the members a few weeks ago. He disconnected one of the lines and started the car to pump the old fluid out while refilling with new. Do a search and I'm sure you will find it.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
You don't have to search far, as it is in the sticky. That said, for at least the first change I would drop the pan to clean it and change the filter...and to check that pesky connector, too. If you want to do that and then add back what you drain and them do the trans flush that is in the sticky, even better. While Kajtek1 had little in his pan and filter, for others it was dirty and debris-filled.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
In both

yumlings diy and my link to the other one which he modified he still dropped the pan installed a new filter buttoned it up and then drained the converter using the run a bit fill a bit procedure.Do not back flush with air,do not use non spec fluid use only mb 722.6 or 722.9 fluid.
Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips
has a fair deal on mb 722.6 fluid and free shipping over $50.
I have the mb dipstick that is critical to setting the correct fluid level.
$40 delivered along with the pan magnet and more tips on the fluid change.
ohlord:bowdown:
Radiator.com has great deals on oem radiators and they usually arrive the next day.
What happened to the radiator,that caused it to fail?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts