Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im going to get a set of wheels off a forum member and have been looking at 16" tires.

Im currently running 275-65-18 on the other wheels i was looking for some massive tread, Swamper has a 265-80-16. So there is where im drawing a fog. I know on a car tire, say a 335-45-16 that if i went to a 18 it would be a 335-35-18 to keep the same size. So do ad to truck tires? i mean a 276-65-18 would that not be a 275-75-16?

I think im making this harder than it is.

Also anyone have any suggestion on some nast off road tires that are radials that will fit a non lifted G.

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
im kind of curious if his rims will fit on a 2005 g500, i dont know if there were any changes to the braking system between the 2000 g500l he has and the 2005 g500.

those are about the only rims i have seem that i really like the styling of and i was thinking of calling up tirerack to see if they could get them in et43.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
16's

Belosch, i would be amazed if they didn't fit your vehicle. The G55k, is the only vehicle with any brake changes... but the tirerack already sells them in et50, but that rims simply doesn't fit. I tried. et43 will work. I think they are a quite well designed rim, as i held them in hand... the styling is better... but i got to design my own for less through stazworks. I ended up with about 40 variations... i chose the last one. I think a 16x10 would be PERECT on a g55 given what they already come with, and why.

·
Registered
2000 G500L, 1968 SWISS Mog
246 Posts
ewalberg - 3/12/2005 4:24 AM

Diehard G ran the Goodyear MTR 285-75-R16 which is about like 33's with virtually no rubbing on et43 16's
That's right. No rubbing with GY MT/R 285/75-16. Now I run 315/75-16. Tire rubs a lot...
Mileage gone bad about 20 to 30% on average. Acceleration is very bad.

When I swiched from winter tire(275/60-18) to 285/75-16, I don't really feel the difference. But the difference from 285/75 to 315/75 is noticable.

Only good point with this size is the clearance when offroading.

Attachments

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
The 285/75-16 is about as big as you can go without some mods. They look more agressive but I have really yet to see a tire on the G that looks really radical, except maybe the 37's on G-Zilla. They fit so well inside the flares that even the 35x12.5-15s on my 280 get mistaken for 33's by Jeep guys. The MT-R is the most agressive looking IMO with substantial lugs on the sidewall.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Brent - 3/13/2005 12:37 AM

They fit so well inside the flares that even the 35x12.5-15s on my 280 get mistaken for 33's by Jeep guys.
Same for me! Many of them think that I have 33s.

My wife still doesn't know that I switched to 315. She doesn't recognize just by seeing. I now see her struggling more to climb into G. [:D]

Yasu

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
RE: 16's

yeah, im going to probably call them up and see if they can order them for me in et43. I don't see why they wouldnt be able to, the borbert site lists them as available in a range from something like 30-50 i think.

I don't know why i like them so much, its probably just because a very simple design.

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
hmm, out of curiosity, did you need to get new lugbolts for those wheels or do the stock lugbolts work without problems? i seem to recall that someone said new lugbolts will be required but i cant find the post at all.

·
Registered
246 Posts
belosch - 3/13/2005 9:01 AM

hmm, out of curiosity, did you need to get new lugbolts for those wheels or do the stock lugbolts work without problems? i seem to recall that someone said new lugbolts will be required but i cant find the post at all.
I use stock bolts. I bought 4 rims used and one new. New one came with bolts. I think stock bolts are fine.

I've painted the rims in black(undercoat black). My rims have lots of scraches from rocks and wanted to paint. With the undercoat black, I can always find a matching color and touch up easily.[;)]

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info guys, that is what i was thinking i just had a brain fart i guess lol..

Now have any of you gone on the tire manifactures web page to see what the real size of the tire is.
I mean not all 33's are 33's...

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
sorry for hijacking the thread earlier :p

the bfg mts at 285/75 r16 are 33.1 in overall diameter
the goodyear mtrs at 287/75 r16 are 33 in overall diameter

yoko geolander 285/75 r16 is 32.9 overall diameter
toyo is coming out with a tire in this size, no listing yet
i dont think nitto makes a 16in mud terrain tire
mickey thompson 33in baja claw is 33in

procomp makes a 33in mud terraine tire in 18in which seems wierd to me, they appear to be the only people doing it. I have read quite a few bad reviews on them.

thats all the brands i can think of that have been discussed here. i know that like firestone/dunlopt/bridgestone/kumho all make mt tires because they are rated on tirerack.com http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORMT

all the tire manufacturers seem to be within +/- 0.5in of their advertised size.

i dont know anything at all about superswampers other than they are insanely good in deep mud, having gone 'mudding' in south georgia with my buddies back in the day.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool deal, i did that last night as well ;)

have you seen the new firestone mud tires. they look kinda crazy

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
hmm, ill have to check those out, i havent really looked at any other than the bfgs and the mtrs, and recently at nittos

i doublechecked and i was wrong, nitto does make a mud grappler in 33x11.5r16 33.07in overall diameter, everyeone seems to like nittos i havent really found a negative review on any of their applications and the mud terrain tire they make is just nifty looking.

parnelli jones makes a cool looking tire too in 33in but i dont know anything about them.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+M%2FT&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=675R6DESTMTOWL&fromCompare1=yes

Nasty looking for a set of firestones

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts

get the 36" tsl's and dont look back! swamper makes a 36" in a radial.
for a 460, to mount the 36's and have NO rub, you need at least 1.75" lift and trim the front riggers. im running the 10.50 wide and i rub the radius arms at full lock, not really a big deal.
one of my buddies runs mtr's and another runs bfg mt's and cannot run the same trails i do.
keep in mind i dont care about road noise or vibration so these tires might not work if you are more worried about road attitude over trail capability.
i also dont run a steering dampener or sway bars and these tires are still calm on the highway.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
seventyfive...

I'd be really interested to take off your 36" TSL's and throw on the 18" rims with stock tires and see how your truck behaved on the highway. i've suspected that the relationship of stiffness/weight/and diameter make for a significant change in the natural frequency of vibration. Essentially, in part your tires may be so heavy and tall that as long as long as they're basically balanced and round, you'd have to be driving really fast or hit some huge bumps to get them to have to natural vibration issues, the shear spinning weight really cuts down on the relative ability of a bump to throw the tire off course.

Take a mountain bike tire and put a tiny road tire on it, hold it in hand and give it a spin... feel the difficulty (or lack) in jiggling the wheel left and right. Now put a 3" downhill tire on it and see how hard it is to move.

I know it seems a little silly since the truck weighs so much, but i've learned never to discount the power of rotating weight, especially given a diameter difference.

I thought my steering damper had blown out completely once because it felt just like when mine did go bad... then i figured out i had snow inside my rim, so it was just really out of balance. The intersting point there is that the natural frequency of vibration left to right, coincides pretty closely with the rotation speed of the tires... which basically means that the two separate issues can are compounding on eachother. BUT! Add or take away weight or stiffness from the system and those relationships will change, and depending how much you change things they may not line up at all anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts