Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have more than usual exhaust smoke??? does that mean i am burning:crybaby2: fuel lean??? just noticed today at night when outside temp is about 64

thanks guys
chris

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I think that is too warm for the exhaust "smoke" to be the "steam" often seen when it is colder outside. Your oxygen sensors, and possibly other things, determine the fuel/air mixture so possibly one (or more) of those is to blame? According to some others on here, the normal lifetime on those is 100,000 miles.

Furthermore, even though synthetic oil does not create smoke as readily as conventional oil, smoke from your exhaust pipe can mean that you are burning oil. I certainly hope not, but certain Mercedes are known for burning oil. Mine does, but according to a recent oil consumption test I had run, I burned less than .5 liter in 660 miles. MB is not concerned until usage exceeds .8 liters during that mileage.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
thanks, i will check the oil and coolant level in the a.m chris
You're certainly welcome. I check my oil level using the car's electronics at least as often as I add fuel. And once in a while, I get my hands dirty and pull the dipstick too. I'm not sure what your coolant level has to do with this, but that is a good thing to check regularly as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts