Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to help from Wayne and Peter, I now have a neatly installed replacement instrument cluster in my '69 280S. Now the problem is reinstalling the speedo cable into the transmission (4 sp auto). Here-to-fore this has been a relatively simple task with this vehicle. Not this time. The male end of the cable end seems determined NOT to index into the trans. Solutions already tried and failed include: gently spreading the slot on the transmission clamp, WD-40, grinding a blunt taper on the end ot the cable and swearing loudly...in both English and German. I ran the car several hundred miles with the cable detached while I was waiting for the replacement cluster to arrive (howling speedometer head made driving akin to having one's teeth drilled). Was this some sort of terminal Teutonic no-no that I was unaware of? Will I have to rebuild the transmission to reinsert this recalcitrant cable? Any and all suggestions ... that do not involve hammers and blind rage (I've already thought of those) are gratefully sought. Thanks in advance.<br>ANH

1 - 1 of 1 Posts