Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, got a 1981 280se a few weeks back.. got it started the other day and drove it home problems im having are..
-changes gear really.. REALLY late.. like maybe 4k revvs
-brake discs are warped
-whole car seems to jerk forward.. kinda like the jerk..stop..jerk..stop.. feels like the discs are warped but i wasnt braking so i dunno?
-LHR window is stuck halfway down.. probs have to take the door trim off and maybe re-attach the regulator
-driver door doesnt lock? all others doo just not drivers?
-dash/console lights wont turn on when the lights are on.. had similar problem with another car.. turned out to be a bad ground.. so ill look tomorow
-engine has a misfire

if anyone could help with any of the problems above it would be very much appreciated :) thanks in advance

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome! I would suggest you update your profile with location and car specs (this can help others better assess your problems and direct you to assistance).

First thing to do is check your fuse box & replace any of the old-style fuses with copper ones & clean the contact clips for them. (If the metal portion of the fuses are silver, change them). This may eliminate some of the electrical issues that could be contributing to your list. If it isn't, you will have issues and headaches down the road.

For the dash lights, it could be a fuse or the ground, but more likely the dimmer switch (they may even be simply turned all the way down). It also could be burnt bulbs. In my '87 that I recently acquired, almost all the bulbs needed replacement. Now everything lights up nicely.

For the tranny shifting, check to see if your kickdown switch is stuck on. (Should be located under the gas pedal). Sometimes mud & crud gets stuck in there and it wont shut off, and sometimes they just go bad. If not, check your vacuum lines to the tranny, and adjustment of the Bowden Cable (I think you have a Bowden Cable???). Do a search on the forums for this. You may also have a modulator that needs replacing (though they may only be on diesels). I'm suspecting the kickdown switch though if the tranny seems ok otherwise.

Your brakes may be hanging up a bit, but it sounds like you will need to replace brakes/rotors anyway. I suspect after servicing the brakes your "jerking" issue will be gone.

Driver door lock - is it power locks? If so, does it lock when you manually work the plunger (and does it trigger the other locks when you work it manually). Could be a bad actuator inside the door. Could also be vacuum leak.

For the window, is it power? If so, can you hear the regulator moving with the switch at all (even if the window doesn't move)? Then yes, you probably just need to reattach the mechanism inside the door. If you don't hear anything when working the switch, you can try swapping the switch with the passenger side to see if that works. If so, your switch is bad.

Engine misfire: I would replace your plugs, plug wires, and distributor/rotor. Likely the issue will be gone, if not post your findings here and someone will help.

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
426 Posts
hey guys, got a 1981 280se a few weeks back.. got it started the other day and drove it home problems im having are..
-changes gear really.. REALLY late.. like maybe 4k revvs
-brake discs are warped
-whole car seems to jerk forward.. kinda like the jerk..stop..jerk..stop.. feels like the discs are warped but i wasnt braking so i dunno?
-LHR window is stuck halfway down.. probs have to take the door trim off and maybe re-attach the regulator
-driver door doesnt lock? all others doo just not drivers?
-dash/console lights wont turn on when the lights are on.. had similar problem with another car.. turned out to be a bad ground.. so ill look tomorow
-engine has a misfire

if anyone could help with any of the problems above it would be very much appreciated :) thanks in advance
Are you in USA?

The reason I am asking this is that 280 SE was not sold in USA. Although it is one of the most produced W 126 model made in the world. Be prepare to spend Thousands of dollars unless you do everything yourself.

Sahai

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the very quick replies!
im in australia, the history of the car is unknown soo i'll take a punt as to say its the euro spec or what not

i read about the kickdown switch, ill take it out if it is faulty.. i'd rather just cruise then have crazy hard shifting , ill replace the ignition system, and the window does make noises.. when the regulator is at the bottom of the door.. and when you wind it up it sounds like scraping noises on the window. at least its an easy fix.. any threads where someone has a detailed explanation on how to take one of these doors off? i'm guessing there built like tanks
cheers in advance again

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
you should be able to get to all the window stuff by taking the panel off the door. I believe there's instructions in either the diy or newbie sticky, possibly both.

·
SuperModerator
13,268 Posts
Yep the window is likely the plastic slider on the regulator. Easy fix really.
Be careful taking the door panels off, make sure you follow the instructions.
The rest, i hope you enjoy fixing her up and it all proves minor. Sounds like she needs a bit of tlc all round but they are very rewarding to work on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts