Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300e 4Matic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok being a guy i of course need more power. I have a 93 300e 4matic. The 3.0 motor. What can i do to get more power. Cams injectors exaust reprogram the computer. Also do these cars hold turbo well?

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
There are plenty of threads on this forum about bumping up power. Do a search but you basically have five choices.

1) Mosselman or TurboTechnics Twin Turbo units. Mosselman kits run around $6500 and the Turbotechnics kits have been on firesale lately for about 2500US out of England [not sure about shipping. Should give 300HP at the CRANKSHAFT

2) Roll your own turbo system. Doable but requires more engineering and “trial and error” Power depends on the way you build the system

3) Rebuild the motor with lightweight pistons, conrods, balance the crankshaft, port and polish, bump up the injectors, fuel pump etc. This will give about 240-250HP at the CRANKSHAFT. Cost will be about $5000-$7500 by the time you are done.

4) Transplant a M119 motor out of a 400E or 500E [or 500SL or 500SE]. That will require some engineering to make everything fit and all the wiring CAN BUS changes, labor and cost of motor/tranny, driveshaft. Expect about $7000+. [The motor/tranny in good shape will be $4000 IF it doesn’t need any work.]

5) Trade your car for a 400E or 500E and you will have factory 275-325HP out of the box.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,683 Posts
Money,

Just what McBear said. There simply aren't any aftermarket speed parts out there and certainly none that a soon to be college student could afford. In an earlier posts, you have mentioned someone that wanted to do an even swap for a 400E. That turned out to not be true as you tell it. Your car will never be a "sprint" car like so many from the pacific rim with loads and loads of speed parts at every corner. Horsepower takes money and in the case of our cars, allot of money.

Your car is what it is and wasn't ever intended to be a stop light to stop light champion. I suggested to you before that you should join a local sports car club. I still suggest that.

Good Luck. Think about selling the car, as it will never be what you say you want. It's probably worth someting close to what you paid for it.

Jayare

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
my260e said:
Didn't someone briefly talk about custom mounting a GM (I think) supercharger
There is a thread a bit back on putting a supercharger onboard the inline six. It is not a bad solution [see option 2] There are some obvious engineering issues and moving of the MAF and determining how to drive the SC. Depending on how much boost you try to put in you have to go into the bottom end of the motor and reduce compression with new pistons.

It might be one of the less expensive options but, depending on who does the work is still going to run a minimum $4000 with SC, intercooler, piping, mapping, etc. Add $3000 [minimum] if you have to rebuild the bottom end to reduce compression.

We have started a small project of putting twin SC on a M119 E420 as a test mule to moving up to a 500E [which I don't want to detonate]. It is not the major parts that cost the money, it is the hours and machine shop time for fabrication and all the little stuff that eats into a budget.

·
Registered
300e 4Matic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i was just htinking maybe doing a straight pipe or somethgin easy liek that may give me noticable horsepower. Is there alot of speed parts for the e420's?

·
Registered
676 Posts
get suspension... MY WHIPS a boat man... no highway action what so ever... and power... i would suggest exhaust... but then it will be IN THE HONDA CIVIC status area. lol the cars for cruising... by something with a bigger engine?

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
jmoney6 said:
yeah i was just htinking maybe doing a straight pipe or somethgin easy liek that may give me noticable horsepower. Is there alot of speed parts for the e420's?
Very few aftermarket speed parts available. I would recommend a highperformance CAT instead of straight pipe to maintain a level of backpressure that the engine expects. It will also be much easier to maintain when you take it to a shop to fix [many shops are no longer allowed to work on cars without CATS]. You can take the resonator [middle exhaust] out of the system which will help about 7hp [if everything is VERY well tuned up].

Speed parts that are available are in the suspension with H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, different suspension setups [Sportline, 500E, etc] but otherwise, the aftermarket world has pretty much left the W124 behind.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,508 Posts
i always recommend a car thats fun to drive slow than one thats fun to drive fast.

as for mods, its already been said. the quick and dirty is sell your car and get a 400E. by the time you are done supercharging and all that other stuff you could have had a reliable factory 275hp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts