Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A trip around the back of the dealership revealed no new, but 3 used CLK's in for service. From what I can gather by inspection stickers, one was a '99 with burl walnut trim and the other two were 00's with black birds eye maple. Those of you that mentioned distortion by looking through windows are correct - the blue tint does distort actual color somewhat. The birds eye does seem a bit dark - I wish it were 'smoke' or something to that effect. This is literally my last day to change my '02 order - burl walnut or birds eye?? Anyone swap out the wood after the fact? HELP!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My vote is also walnut. Walnut is classic and is usually found in all the high-end luxury cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a vote for the black bird's eye

Obviously a completely subjective decision - but my 2 cents worth....<br> <br> The 'classic' status of burled walnut has been, in my opinion, diminished by the fact that you can now get it (or a tacky plastic faux version of it) on damn near any make of car.<br> <br> I'm on my second black bird's eye maple car (MY00 CLK430 with Ash interior & now a MY01 CLK55 with two tone charcoal/silver) and wouldn't trade it for anything. Absolutely defines classic, to my eye anyway......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to All. Final Verdict: Staying with the Black Birds Eye...

Finally found an E55 with charcoal interior and black birds eye maple. Very nice. Also found an '01 430 (birds eye) on a used car lot. I think the difference in appearance relates to the 'flatness' of the E's center dash stack. The E's dash is pretty wide and relatively flat and the reflection of light brings out the grain of the wood a bit better. In the CLK430, the curved center stack reflects light a bit differently and some of the grain appears to be lost. After having MB's with walnut and zebrano woods for the last 9 years, maybe the change will be nice. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts