Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 Coupe, Midnight/Rio Blue/Gray, 107K miles
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently put a set of 38 mm offset ASA brand 16x7.5 8 hole replicas on the 94 Coupe. Encountered the issue often covered here. OE lug bolts too long, very short cone contoured bolts provided by Tire Rack gratis with purchase of the wheel/tire combo (incredible low price for the package BTW) work fine.

These wheels are not bad. They're pretty in their "natural" painted form and seem round and true, albeit probably a few mm too far offset outboard...41 mm would probably be better for late 124 Coupes assuming they would clear inboard objects at 7.5" width. But they are VERY inexpensive and are bolt up as opposed to the work needed to adapt 16" factory 8 holes, or some of the mono-block AMG variants. Car definitely handles a tad better between the lower profile rubber and slightly wider stance....but back to the bolts.

Just from a cosmetic perspective, the short bolts are lost in the deep set lug holes in these Chinese made wheels. So after some digging, look what I found:

Lug Nuts Wheel Adapters Spacers Lug Bolts

Yepper, that's $1.98 each folks :) I ordered a set, figuring at this price they're worth a shot. Will advise once I get them in hand. I may need to grind off the threaded shaft half an inch, won't know for sure till I start tinkering, didn't measure the length of threads on the Tire Rack bolts before I plunked them on.

Will take some before and after pix (assuming there will be an acceptable "after"). I've followed several interesting threads here, mostly about retrofitting later model MB wheels to 124's. These Chinese replicas may be different altogether with seemingly very thin casting depth at the hub.

My understanding (not sure where this came from) is that ASA is a Korean company, which seems a bit of a hoot in that the wheels are sourced from China. With full confession in place that I am thus "twice knocked off" from OE MB parts I'll be happy to share my upcoming lug bolt follies as they unfold.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I think you might want to be careful with using ball seat lugs on cone seat wheels (if I understand what you stated) the contact surface on the wheels might get stressed more than they can handle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. The Tire Rack lugs delivered with the new wheels were definitely cone seat. Never came to my mind that the wheels themselves would differ much - assuming that the cinch down area made by a ball seat lug would be the same as a cone seat. These are not typically interchangeable?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, more digging. Definitely not interchangeable and my 16" replicas pretty much certain to need conical seats. I'll pull one to put an eyeball to everything but the Tire Rack-supplied conical seat bolts work fine and the literature is pretty unanimous out there, aftermarket wheels are predominantly not ball seat style.

Trick cheap ball seats will do a U-Turn when they arrive. Thanks for the info Bruce. Early searching didn't turn up any extended shank conical seat bolts that can fill these cavernously deep lug holes, do such exist?

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
It says they are for factory wheels.

"These lug bolts used on late Mercedes 560 series flat faced style factory alloy wheels".

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indeed it does, but having not read the literature very well I didn't realize exactly why that piece of info was included. From where I was sitting at the time of purchase it told me that I had just found exactly what I was looking for, something designed for a Mercedes that would fill my cavernous new lug holes :)

Only with the benefit of the info shared here, did it slowly dawn on me that MB wheel world was divided in two parts...the ball seat OE world and the conical seat after market world...which, of course, brings new meaning to EZ's description.

The lovely bolts came today. Very shiny. Very long. Very much not cone shaped. Lined them up on my desk at work. Put them in my pencil holder. Stacked them up on the window ledge. Seeing little potential in them for art or office decoration, think I'll see if EZ would like to have them back, none the worse for their trip across the country.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts