Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the driver side.

What do you think about snipping off the sheet metal in the front by the foot pedals and making it about 3"deeper. This seems like it would NOT cause any conflicst with anything under the hood. BTW my fuse box is ontop of this area and not vertilce like stock.

I would then cut off the pedals from the levers and bolt on extenders to move the foot pedal further back creating more leg room. Was thinking of cutting off foot pedal from arms and fabing a bolt on anyway to make it easier to install new pedal slot insulation gizmo. Have to redo fuel pedal if I go to a tilt cab arangement anyway.

For those that don't know the 404 brake and cluctch pedal are NOT hanging pedals. They come up thru the floor/backwall therfore the floor has a slot cut in it for the pedal arm to move back and forth. Well... sorta... the slots are cut into two plates that sandwhiches a rubber gasket and this sandwhich bolts to an opening in the floor. Lot of heat, cold, dust, rain etc. come up thru these slots. Have not found a good replament for this yet anyway. I got one but installing it was impossible with out comlete dissasembly of the pedals cause you cant slip it over the foot pedal. Not a great design. Open to suggestions on how to create a boots so less blows up thru these slots.

I'm not tall tall 5'8" but I do cramp up slightly and the seat wont go back more. Moving seat back further requires maybe going to a King or Doka Cab type arrangement but that conflicts with camper designs etc etc.

Passenger side... same thing.. ORR... maybe remove that seat completely. Passenger would go in camper box? How many folk on exteded trips really want to sit in that seat cause it is so cramped?

·
Registered
3 300tds/Unimog
9 Posts
I have a set of hanging pedals from a euro 300D with a manual trans, they look just like the 406/416 pedals. I hve thought about converting to these pedal as part of a diesel conversion. I primarily want to repostion the foot throtte which would be hard to do with the stock pedals.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,009 Posts
Im 6'5", and I find the cab to be adequate. Removing the stock heater does make a bit more room as well.

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DokaTD said:
Im 6'5", and I find the cab to be adequate. ....
Part of my problem is cause I have one knee that was rebuilt.

So back to the idea... anyone done this, somthing simular, have different ideas that result in same end?

·
Registered
Hover, Bike, Mog
388 Posts
Have you any room to lift the seat? I would've thought the steering tube would get in the way if you went much deeper (ie really hard to get foot from throttle to brake)

Our none stock seats are a bit higher than stock, and the seat bottom tilts back slightly, which gives an impression of more legroom. we don't have the heater either.

jim

·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shaggy said:
Have you any room to lift the seat? I would've thought the steering tube would get in the way if you went much deeper (ie really hard to get foot from throttle to brake) Our none stock seats are a bit higher than stock, and....
jim
hmmm.. steering column... I can't sit in my mog right now its apart. hmmm.
picture in mind's eye looking down while sitting in driver seat said:
Left foot and clutch. Steering column right foot gas and brake...... [picture off]
I cant see it being a problem. Wish there was a mog near by to sit in.

I have a body lift; PO put a one inch body lift to better accomidate the diesel transplant. I was thinking of adding another 1/4 to 1/2" to accomidate an underside thick floor/dog box insulation. I've never sat in factory seats. PO installed these seats. Im going with seats out of a Ford Probe.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,009 Posts
It may be more a problem with your seats. I run the stock seat simply because I am so tall. The stock seat gives you as much or more actual room than anything else. Other configs might help, but I dont know. I fint my knee problems in the mog simply the fact that it take alot of leg power to hold the brakes. over the years, my knee has apparently developed a bit and does not really hurt much anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts