Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this about a week ago, but still would appreciate some help. Is there a good write-up on how to disassemble the rear of the car to get the drum brake assembly off? I'd like to paint the dust shield and adjust the brake shoes. I have the dial on the drum itself turned all the way tight, but the rotor housing is still rubbing against the shoe. I checked EG and the Haynes manual, and there's not much there. I'd be happy to document with pictures if someone can show me the steps.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,234 Posts
Write up

1) Jack up car and set on jack stands.
2) Remove wheels.
3) Remove 2 bolts holding calipers in place.
4) Compress pads slightly and remove calipers.
5) Support calipers with tie wire so they don't hang on hose.
6) Remove the little countersunk screw that holds rotor to hub.
7) Rotor may or may not slide off.

8) If it doesn't slide off it may need persuasion in the form of penetrating oil around the hub pilot hole, followed by hammering with soft mallet and possibly use of a large puller which may or may not damage the rotor.

9) Also be aware that if it starts to slide off and gets hung up on the parking brake shoes than the star wheel inside the drum may need to be backed off with a small brake spoon (aka screw driver) through the face on the rotor.

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
10) If the rotor is still hung up on the shoes, check that the cable is fully released and not rusted to the sheathing.

Fish

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Thse yellow springs are are the brake shoe hold downs which hold the shoes in place on the backing plate. Normally the spring is compressed and the retainer removed with a tool...

I can't see a retainer on top of the spring, and never pulled one apart myself, but those springs are what's holding the shoes on.

While there are obvious differences this may be of some help...

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-rear-brake-shoes-and-drums

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thse yellow springs are are the brake shoe hold downs which hold the shoes in place on the backing plate. Normally the spring is compressed and the retainer removed with a tool...

I can't see a retainer on top of the spring, and never pulled one apart myself, but those springs are what's holding the shoes on.

While there are obvious differences this may be of some help...

How to Replace Car Brake System Rear Shoes Drums and Adjust - 2CarPros
huh, yes, those clips are missing altogether on both sides. i'll see if I can get some better pictures.

here's a comparison pic of the new vs old rotors.

·
Registered
420 Posts
any answers to any of my other questions from this thread?

thanks!
Baco99,

The backplates cannot be removed without removing the axleshaft and the wheel flange as the center opening of the plate is smaller than the flange.

But you could remove the brake shoes (replace them!!), mask the flange and using a spray paint them in-situ. Your model does not have retainer spring clips. Just use a flat blade screwdriver, push and twist until the retainer springs disengage from the backplate.

To remove the shoes you have to remove the cylinder pin (dont lose it!!!) from the shakle that holds the cable of the parking brake. Remove the allen bolt from the back of the backplate that holds the cable and remove the shackle. It is fiddly to reinstall but you want to have some fun!!!.

To remove/install the springs from the shoes use a hook like the one on the pic (or something similar) as the springs have great tension!!.

Decide what you wish to do and we can help with the procedures, as removing the flanges imply replacing the bearings and seals, while you are there....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Baco99,

The backplates cannot be removed without removing the axleshaft and the wheel flange as the center opening of the plate is smaller than the flange.

But you could remove the brake shoes (replace them!!), mask the flange and using a spray paint them in-situ. Your model does not have retainer spring clips. Just use a flat blade screwdriver, push and twist until the retainer springs disengage from the backplate.

To remove the shoes you have to remove the cylinder pin (dont lose it!!!) from the shakle that holds the cable of the parking brake. Remove the allen bolt from the back of the backplate that holds the cable and remove the shackle. It is fiddly to reinstall but you want to have some fun!!!.

To remove/install the springs from the shoes use a hook like the one on the pic (or something similar) as the springs have great tension!!.

Decide what you wish to do and we can help with the procedures, as removing the flanges imply replacing the bearings and seals, while you are there....

This is helpful. I'm not in a position financially, or otherwise, to take this on right now. So, I may just mask off the dust shield and spray around the important parts.

Now, as for the parking brake, I don't think that the cable need to be replaced because if it did, then none of the e-brake shows would move, correct? In fact, they do move. Just only one of them is stationary. Bad spring? I can get an e-brake rebuild kit from AutohausAZ for $30 with new shoes, springs, retainer springs, etc.

Is there an adjustment on the cable itself? Is there a way to lubricate it?

Also, how do I pull the cable out to examine it? I unbolted a 17mm bolt behind the backplate, but the cable is in there solid. I don't want to damage anything. Advice please!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Now, as for the parking brake, I don't think that the cable need to be replaced because if it did, then none of the e-brake shows would move, correct? In fact, they do move. Just only one of them is stationary. Bad spring? I can get an e-brake rebuild kit from AutohausAZ for $30 with new shoes, springs, retainer springs, etc.
I don’t think there is any need to replace the parking brake cable as you have not reported any problem with it!. But you wish to paint the backplate and the cable is held at the shackle and you don’t want any paint on it, so removing the cable from the shackle allows you to remove the shackle prior to paint, (once the brake shoes have been removed) then mask the hub and respray the backplate.

You seem to have obtained new rear disks and it is advisable to replace the shoes, so obtain the shoes kit with new springs to install with the new disks.

Is there an adjustment on the cable itself? Is there a way to lubricate it? Also, how do I pull the cable out to examine it? I unbolted a 17mm bolt behind the backplate, but the cable is in there solid. I don't want to damage anything. Advice please!!
Once you remove the cable from the shackle by pushing the small cylinder pin on the shackle, then you can remove the cable from the center lever and lubricate ideally with silicon grease. With new disks and shoes you only need to adjust the sprocked adjusting wheel through one of the wheel-bolt holes on the flange with a screwdriver until the disk is about to bind (rotating the disk).

Here are a few picks of the process and tools to remove the shoes.

Here is a pick of the shackle/cable/cylinder pin

Let us know if you need further help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts