Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for bringing up a topic that has been covered 100 times. I am doing research for my dad and haven't found the answers I need yet. Dad has a 2006 R350 Sak's Fifth Avenue Edition. Like many others it came with halogen headlights and no fog lights. We have upgraded his low beams to 5000K HIDs but now trying to find fog lights. I pulled the bumper trim piece where the factory fog lights go and the plug is there for the lights.

Does any know where I can order a complete factory fog light kit with the lights, bezels and switch? Are there any fuses or relays I also need to get for them to work? I know once installed the fog lights will have to be turned on in the vehicle's computer. I went through the same thing when I added factory fogs to my Dodge.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Talked to one of the local dealers about getting the parts. For the lights, bezels and switch they told me it was going to be $600 just for the parts.

If anyone knows where I can find all the pieces cheaper I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2006 R350
191 Posts
Talked to one of the local dealers about getting the parts. For the lights, bezels and switch they told me it was going to be $600 just for the parts.

If anyone knows where I can find all the pieces cheaper I would appreciate it.
My local dealer say's $493 for parts & labor. The local body shop says $350, but that is w/out having to install a new switch. They say it's 3.5 hours of work including activation. They will come on w/ parking lights, and also at Auto. There is no way to have them by themselves w/out a new switch. Also, they weren't sure but thought the rear fog light "might" come on also.

They've never done a fog add-on for an R.

·
Registered
'06 R350
143 Posts
The installation cost myself less than an hour. And another 15 mins to activate it through Star. No relay needed, just plug in the connectors. You can get the parts from dealer. New switch is not necessary.
I got the fogs on ebay for $140 through This thread and other screws/plates around $90 from dealer. You can have dealer activate the fogs for you and they shouldn't charge more than 30 mins labor/diagnosis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THe dealer I talked to said $600 for just parts, no labor included. When dad talked to the same dealer about having them installed he was told it couldn't be done. The service advisor said if it didn't come from the factory with fog lights it couldn't be added. I'm going to call a couple other dealers tomorrow and get their opinions/prices. Thanks for the input.

My Dodge uses a very similar can-bus system like the Mercedes and I had absolutely no problem add factory fogs to it. Had to have the dealer turn them on in the computer just like the Mercedes requires.

·
Registered
02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
1,632 Posts
For the fog activation $35.00, OEM foglights from eBay $100.00, round bezel from dealer(no other option) $60.00, screws from the dealer $15.00 - thats it. Mine is the labor of love - priceless.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would think that if you have a way of reading and changing the computer settings (ie OBDII or eq - because I don't know what it is for MB) you shouldn't really have any issues with that assuming the parts are all benz.

I think these dealers are really out to sink people sometimes. My VW uses that goofy VAG-COM thing and my Dodge is basically plug and play (or is that plug and pay??)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer I talked to kept making up reasons why it couldn't be done and when I told them yes it ca and these are the part number they came up with an outrageous price to keep from doing it. 2 other dealers in the area said they could do the install, no problem, and could even install aftermarket lights if that was what we wanted.

MB and Dodge both use a can-bus system similar to VW's VAG-COM. It basically controls everything on the vehicle through the computer. In order to install aftermarket HIDs in both dad's R-class and my 2007 Dodge I had to use a resistor to fool the computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts