Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
00 E430 Sport
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2000 E430 sport with about 70k miles. The display for the clock, temperature and gear are bad. By bad, i mean they look like they have missing pixels or bad lamps. For example, a time of "1:15" might read ":..". I hope this makes sense to someone. In any case, i was told that this is a known problem with the VDO cluster and the only option i had was to purchase a new cluster from MB for some insane amount of money. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Try a used cluster off of ebay or from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try removing the cluster and cleaning the contacts for the connection. Mine was as you described and I was going to try it. Subsequent to that, the A/C failed and required R&R of the condensor which requires removal of the dash. Now, the display is fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i have a similar problem...i had the cluster taken out and cleaned the contacts in the back. but it didn't help.

i'm not too pushed about changing it right now as i can tell the time.

·
Registered
2000 E320
8 Posts
same problem. I was told $1000 to purchase a whole new cluster, just for a clock problem. The mechanic told me that MB has to register the new cluster. Is this true? or can you get a used cluster and have it installed?
I'll try cleaning the contacts first.........what gives with MB having dodgy clocks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go to the programainc.com website as they will repair your cluster. I am getting mine repaired for $299 getting a 3 year warranty. I have a faulty ground in my ignition which fried the cluster, my blower regulator and because they don't make that type of blower anymore I have to buy the blower motor and a special bracket to retro fit. I also have to replace the climate control unit. By the time I am done a faulty ground is going to cost me over $1200 in parts!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts