Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML 430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to this forum but I found it to be a great place to get info on these SUVs. I have read all the posts regarding brakes on MLs but I do have some questions. I have a 2001 ML430 with only 37k miles on it. The brake sensor has not yet come on and there is no squeeling but the brake rotors look grooved as hell. I asked my dealer the last time in the shop and he said that its not uncommon for the rotors to groove this way. I told him that I felt this was total bulls**t and that it must be from poorly constructed pads (Pagid I believe ). He also told me that the original rotors can not be turned, turning them will destroy them and then quoted me $600 for the pads and $1200 for the rotors. They suggest new rotors every other pad replacement. I will do it myself thank you. I feel like I need to replace the pads but also I feel like its a waste not replacing the rotors since their so grooved. The new pads would just get eaten up in no time. Anybody else seen excessive grooving on their rotors ?

I am looking at Brembo crossdrilled rotors and I am still undecided on the pads.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
81 Posts
OK, don't freak out on how they look. Basically, your dealer was right. And, you are right not to pay those prices for the parts and to do it yourself. The rears will last thru two or three sets on the front. You can get thru two pads before replacing the rotors (they cannot be turned.). I switched to Mintex pads for less dust and the've been good. I use OE-type rotors. You can do the front for less than $200. My rears went 60K miles. Try autohaus dot com. They have been good to deal with (even thru some problems that they handled well).

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
40K is good for rotors on this car especially since you have a 430. Changing pads evey 20K or less is a fact of life when owning this car. It IS a big honkin SUV.... But it stops really well.

Definitely do the work outside but cross drilled rotors will eat your pads even more quickly than the OEMS. Course you may like the visual effect even if there's no practical difference.

Oh yes, and I believe the OEM's are already brembo.

Welcome to the board.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts