Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Yeah...I've been reading a lot about this, and I don't know what's going on with mercedes right now....oh well, mine's problem free.[:D]

But the recall, which is not safety-related, covers all cars with six and eight cylinder petrol engines built from June 2001 to November last year, plus all E-Class, SL-Class cabriolets and CLS-Class coupes made since June 2001
Soooo does this affect 320s and 32s??? cause I read somewhere else it was just for Es and CLSs.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
To keep things in perspective, they are recalling cars up to 4 yrs old going as far back as 2001. It reminds me of what Lexus once did when they had a problem with their Lexus LS400: they offered to pick up/drop off the recalled vehicles, and replaced them while under repair with the same or similar model the owners where driving. Sure it cost a lot of money but in the long run look what it did for product confidence/satisfaction. MB does not need to nickel and dime its products - if they build them well to begin with people will respond positively and there will be no need to retroactively spend money on a 4-yr catch up scheme. People expect MB's to be expensive - what they don't expect is that within a few yrs of ownership owners run into a slew of trivial quality issues like peeling paint on interiors, or melting brake light taillamp housings. Furthermore, when and if genuine problems arise people also expect that they will be treated fairly quickly.

My car represents for me a status symbol, a sort of coming of age, especially since it was my 26 birthday present to myself celebrating my personal successes. And, I like to maintain my car for as long as I can so a good quality build is the best starting point for this, particularly the engine.

·
Registered
01 ML430, 03 C320 Coupe MT, 14 GL450
952 Posts
I think this is good news - not the fact that the cars are having problems, but that MB is willing to do such a huge recall without having to be forced to do it. It shows to me that they are putting quality first again, and are willing to make existing customers happy.

And let's face it, a "bad quality" Mercedes is still miles ahead of a Toyota or Honda! [}:)]

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Daniel - 4/3/2005 5:13 PM

I think this is good news - not the fact that the cars are having problems, but that MB is willing to do such a huge recall without having to be forced to do it. It shows to me that they are putting quality first again, and are willing to make existing customers happy.

And let's face it, a "bad quality" Mercedes is still miles ahead of a Toyota or Honda! [}:)]
Hmm id disagree, I know what I would put money on still running w/o problems at 200k miles, and it won't be the benz ;) I guess it depends on how you define "quality". Will the leather still be softer, sure. But if I need something to work everytime w/o thinking twice mb could take many a lesson from Toyota or Honda. Maybe I am too cynical but mb isn’t doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They have to attempt to compete in a market that quite frankly the competition is kickin their ass. It always is disappointing to see companies that ride on their reps until it has tarnished them, then be amazed that ppl are bashing them. This being my first, and 95% chance last, mb the star doesn’t shine bright anymore. Who knows maybe Chrysler can help straighten them out [:D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts