Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

more air system probs.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Heavy Weapons 
#1 ·
hi there,

i have another air related prob and need the advice of more clued up folk than me.

there is air leaking from a "divise" to the right hand side of the engine bay as you are looking toward the mog. Its cube like and seems to be made of cast aluminium with four pipes coming in/out of the under side of it. To is front there is a plastic 90 deg angle tube a couple of inches long that looks as if there could/should be another pipe attatch to it. However once the engine is stopped it has started to leak air and within 30-40 mins the pressure is zero.

What does this do?
Is this a common prob?
Can you get kits to fix it?
Or is it out with the old in with the new?

there are also a few pictures to hopefully make the above clearer.
Thankx in advance for any advice

mogtract

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That piece is the acuator for the brakes that connects to the pedal in the cab. I've seen many of them leak, especailly after the truck has sat mainly idle for several years. I have always had good luck with opening them up and cleaning the crud out, lubing everything up, and reassembling. I think there is a repair kit avalible if you need it, but I have yet to actually find one internally damaged, just usually gummed up with stuff out of a moisture contaminated air system.

There shouldn't be anything connected to that fitting, it is just an exhaust for the air when you let off of the brake pedal.

Cheers,
Ben

#5 ·
bingo! one leak free acuator.

kennedy. sorry had the prob fixed before i read ur post. But it was simple, even for a novice like me.

If u look at the third picture in my first post i disconnected the two pipes on the underside at the front. then the four bolts on the front of the acuator. There will be a bit of pressure as there is a spring inside. once removed i cleaned around the inside with a tissue to remove any dirt. (be carefull as there is an "aluminium disc" with seals that almost dropped out on me!!)
The black 90deg pipe on the front of the acuator has a circlip around the outside, which when taken off (be careful as there is a reasonable pressure produced by another spring inside) revealed more seals and some crud.
For all the dirt there was i didnt think it would have made any diference, but hay presto! all back together and no leaks.

Again sorry no photos but hopefully this is of some use! (sods law- if i dismantle it again to get a few photos it wont work when i put it back together)

Ps thanx again Ben

Mogtract

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.