Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 25-50% of opening the moonroof I can hear slight cracking or like something is stuck in the track. I'm researching the disassembly and getting the courage to tackle this tomorrow to find whats actually going wrong here...

I wanted to get some suggestions on what could be broken and preventing it from fully opening.

The speed the roof closes and opens doesn't seem "quick", or factory. Instead id say its just a little slow but still acceptable...

Whats likely keeping this roof 50% operational?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
If I were to hazard a guess, it would be that one or more of the little plastic clips is broken and causing a misalignment, when it binds up enough it turns off. I'd quit playing with it until you're able to take it apart as you're likely to cause more damage. Tilting it open and closed should be fine, though.

The videos in the stickies are terrific. Finding a suitable lubricant in lieu of the costly MB stuff is the tricky part.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel I should mention from experience with my w126, in that car the cable seemed to bunch up and cause problem then...

With my W210, this does not happen, the cable seems(although not visible) not to be bunched up or any other form of tense, its just something preventing it from going all the way back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts