Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a 190d... circa 1985
I just did a heater core in it... well, in the process...
Thanks, for the FAQ on heater core.... big help I must say.
Anyway, here is the deal.... the moon roof button was
pushed in behind the dash... So it was not able to be
pressed in to operate the moon roof.....
I put it back in place.... but, it seems to me like
the previous owner intentionally put it behind the
dash so it would not be accidentally pressed.....
(that is my impression here)
I am a little concerned....(pandora's box).....
that if I push it(the button that is) , it will open and not close.....
and end up seriously screewed...........
SO THE QUESTION..... do these electrically
operated moon roofs....... become inoperable(become broken).....

AND what should I prepare myself for......
Some of the scenarios.... of how they break.....
thanks, Monst

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Just try it. You have an emergency sunroof crank on the left side of your trunk behind the lining if it gets stuck. The tool should be in your emergency kit in the hole of the spare tire. Those buttons sink into the dash because they get broken, see if you can glue it back into place.

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
My sunroof was difficult to close and turned out to be a broken track. $1,550.00 at the dealer years ago. Close it and pull the fuse if you think you'll never get it closed.
I was out of town when it happened and the dealer pressured my wife into fixing it and said it couldnt be closed. My local MB dealership pays their service advisors commision, so simply closing it was not an option given to my wife.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
That sucks Ignatz! My sunroof broke too. Dealer wanted the same thing for $`1550. I went to junkyard and got a roof from a 1993 2.6 that dropped right into mine. The lifter arms are the things that break the most on these....they break and the tilt function gets jammed stuck- causing other issues. Had to rip mine out because the jam was bad and just replaced the U shaped piece. 6 10mm bolts hold it together. $35.00 last summer of 2010. actually $37 cause the junkyard charged 2 bucks to get in.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
That sucks Ignatz! My sunroof broke too. Dealer wanted the same thing for $`1550. I went to junkyard and got a roof from a 1993 2.6 that dropped right into mine. The lifter arms are the things that break the most on these....they break and the tilt function gets jammed stuck- causing other issues. Had to rip mine out because the jam was bad and just replaced the U shaped piece. 6 10mm bolts hold it together. $35.00 last summer of 2010. actually $37 cause the junkyard charged 2 bucks to get in.
really? i have a 1991 2.6 and my sunroof wont til up, but it slides back and forth.

is that because of broken arms? do you know the procedure how to change it?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There isnt really a procedure. You have to remove the cover first. Close the sunroof. Then use a flathead and pop the front part of the panel downward as it is held in by 3 or 4 plastic clips. They wont break. Will just make a pop noise. Then slowly push the panel back and pull forward and down- it will slide out. After the panel is out , you will see exposed screws on the sides. That is what is holding the roof panel down. Take it all out and the roof will pop right off the top.

Then the brackets are exposed. The rails must come out first and they are held in with about 4 philips screws on both sides. You can move the sunroof back and forth until you reach all the screws. Then slowly slide the guide rails back and forth until it pops loose. You might have to tilt it slightly to move out as it is recessed a bit.

Then the rest of the bracket will come apart after you remove the 8 mm bolts from the inside of the car. Make sure your roof is all the way forward and you will see them. 3 bolts on each side of the U shape.

Then go to dealer and ask for a printout of your sunroof. Tell them you dont know what is broken nor the part number. Go home and see which is busted. Then go to junkyard and do the same thing to a donor car and remove that bracket and guide rails. The lifters are the ones that break so you will have to find one that isnt busted or stressed with cracks there.

I think they break because people forget to grease them. The roof brackets are actually pretty strong alloy.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
oh great! thanks for the info i will try it out when i get a chance. Its definatly jamming because it tries to tilt but gets stuck right only after an inch of travel or so.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Its the tilt part that broke off and got caught in the mechanism when you tried to open it backwards. Hopefully it didnt destroy anything else. Mine broke all the other stuff so I had to replace pretty much everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all good info....
yeah, replaced the panel where the switch is...
it works now.....
good to know about the emergency closing...
and the tool......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts