Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mercedes R129 SL500 1998
4 Posts
As Plato wrote in "The Republic": "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"
What size air filters do you suppose it's running?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea. There is not much of a space, except to put filter between radiator and the bumper. So I guess it has to be oversized(big) square filter. Will need to make a custom box for it.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,420 Posts
Air filter box, made of, a/c duct, and sewer, pipe.
Frankenstein.
Cement the ftgs. ;)
Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
887 Posts
And let sand and dust in?

I would suggest that whomever did that didn't take any air temperature measurements. I haven't either but would guess the difference is close to zero at the speeds the builder has in mind.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
887 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but it looks looks like your intakes are behind the radiator/fan area and are taking in hot air.

The standard routing takes cool are from a forward location.

Are those green things your air filters? What kind of material are they and how much dust, etc. do they collect?

What is the pressure drop through them? You can measure that with simple water manometer using small plastic tubing.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
1,069 Posts
Please I meant that in a stroke of humor looking at your project that is a detriment to increased power. You need cold air not under hood hit air. However the shaker hood would work

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
887 Posts
FATHERTIME "Please I meant that in a stroke of humor looking at your project that is a detriment to increased power. You need cold air not under hood hot air. However the shaker hood would work "

I had the same thought but didn't express it. I remember when hood scoops were popular.

On the SL500 cars a hood scoop would depend on how good the inside hood insulator is. I have trouble keeping one in place, they don't last long in some cases. Without a good insulator the air coming over the hood could be warmed by the engine compartment below. Maybe not much but the thought came to mind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Correct me if I am wrong but it looks looks like your intakes are behind the radiator/fan area and are taking in hot air.

The standard routing takes cool are from a forward location.

Are those green things your air filters? What kind of material are they and how much dust, etc. do they collect?

What is the pressure drop through them? You can measure that with simple water manometer using small plastic tubing.
Intake is not finished and no idea about pressure drop, but it makes car accelerate a bit quicker. Is there any hp increase, may be.
I'll make alluminum box for it and split into two small pipes. One will connect to original piping and the other will connect to the box.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
887 Posts
I tend to believe it will be hard to accommodate a filter system as large in cross-section as the twin filters on the original vehicle.

Beyond that, the original filters are up-draft and sand and other heavy items are dropped below the filter surfaces.

I look forward to your solution and hope for success in your venture.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts