Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML500 Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am curious if anyone here recently installed the Monroe Reflex (part #911219) for their front suspension. I read that someone here cut off the bottom spacer from the OEM shocks to use for the Monroes instead of ordering the spacer from the company. Anyone else did this recently?

BTW, if you don't mind waiting for the spacer, Advance Auto has shocks on sale, coupon code "SHOCK25" give you 25% off. $76.48 for the two Monroe shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ML500 Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - This morning I went by NAPA to check on the Monroe Reflex that they stock. Luckily, they have newer inventory so the shocks came with the spacers. Changed out in 1 1/2 hours (had a disabled jack). Taking off the wheel liners make it a lot easier. No access issue at all. Make sure you have some thread locker handy.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,122 Posts
I am curious about body roll and steering response with the Monroes. I would rather
have a firmer ride and better dynamics when turning and braking than a softer ride.
I am putting in new complete OEM rear springs and shocks in a couple of months
and the second set of MB fronts seem to be due for a replacement. They have around
100k miles on them. The rears are at about 90k.
The total vehicle mileage is at 234k miles and although cosmetically it is not going to
win any trophies it is in good shape and we plan to keep it as long as possible. The
main goal now that picked up a VW R32 is really to to maintain the ML as well as I have,
but keep costs lower on consumable wear items like shocks without losing any of the
original ML feel. So I am wondering if I pick up a set of the Monroes will I be disappointed.
The savings on them over the Sachs, KYB or Biltsiens is enough to consider the Monroes.
Does anybody know of a place that has a refund based on satisfaction with the Monroes?
If I install them and not like them who would take them back. A while back somebody
said they took a set back to NAPA after they had been installed and got full refund.
I can not pin down our local NAPA on that. They said they would do that for NAPA
branded parts, but was not going to commit to it on the Monroes.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
I am curious about body roll and steering response with the Monroes. I would rather
have a firmer ride and better dynamics when turning and braking than a softer ride.
I am putting in new complete OEM rear springs and shocks in a couple of months
and the second set of MB fronts seem to be due for a replacement. They have around
100k miles on them. The rears are at about 90k.
The total vehicle mileage is at 234k miles and although cosmetically it is not going to
win any trophies it is in good shape and we plan to keep it as long as possible. The
main goal now that picked up a VW R32 is really to to maintain the ML as well as I have,
but keep costs lower on consumable wear items like shocks without losing any of the
original ML feel. So I am wondering if I pick up a set of the Monroes will I be disappointed.
The savings on them over the Sachs, KYB or Biltsiens is enough to consider the Monroes.
Does anybody know of a place that has a refund based on satisfaction with the Monroes?
If I install them and not like them who would take them back. A while back somebody
said they took a set back to NAPA after they had been installed and got full refund.
I can not pin down our local NAPA on that. They said they would do that for NAPA
branded parts, but was not going to commit to it on the Monroes.
I had a set of Monroe Reflex and was very disappointed. I have posted a post with my experience with Bilstein, Monroe Reflex(same as Napa Gold) and Sachs. I like the Sachs best and that is what i have gone back to... In my opinion don't waste your money on Monroe... The ride is like an old Buick... Seriously... I did get my money back from NAPA but I have a corporate account there so the really like me.

·
Purple Moderator
22,122 Posts
Ah, okay it was your post and I do recall it now. I supposes I could use the shop account
with whichever brand I go with. The last time I did the fronts all WorldPac had in stock
was the MB OE which were over $170 apiece and the Bilsteins which were the old style
and I already knew they were a harsh ride.

I might as well just pony up to the Sachs as they now do have a lifetime warranty.
They are $90 apiece or less as I shop around. Obviously a DIY project.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
133 Posts
I am curious about body roll and steering response with the Monroes...
I've had Monroes for 2 years/15k now, it was OK, not great for first 5k miles or so. Now it is mushy, my front has a lot more roll at highway speed, namely lane changes. Since all other front suspension components are as old as the car (I've owned since new), I dont think shocks are the only culprit. However the firm ones might help a bit. I too want to go Sachs route since my old dental work is not quite fit for "sporty shocks".

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Where did you find the Sachs for $90 or less?

Ah, okay it was your post and I do recall it now. I supposes I could use the shop account
with whichever brand I go with. The last time I did the fronts all WorldPac had in stock
was the MB OE which were over $170 apiece and the Bilsteins which were the old style
and I already knew they were a harsh ride.

I might as well just pony up to the Sachs as they now do have a lifetime warranty.
They are $90 apiece or less as I shop around. Obviously a DIY project.

·
Purple Moderator
22,122 Posts
Autohausaz has them.
It is their part# 311367 for the fronts. Free shipping.

·
Registered
MB
18 Posts
spacers

Hi After 105K I just installed Reflex on the fronts and the ride is good. Not too stiff not too soft. When I ordered my shocks I got one in a new box and one in an older packaging. No spacer in the old box. I called cust serv. After three calls and two weeks, they finally shipped the spacers. In the mean time I returned the old boxed shock and got a new boxed shock with the spacer in it. Now I have two extra spacers. If you need them email me and I will send them to you . Probably faster than Monroe. Go figure.

When I did my rears I found my springs cracked. So I had to buy another set of complete struts. Now I have a pair of extra new rear Sachs 311995

If anyone is interested I will ship them for 250 for the pair.

Your Parts Search Returned 0 Part(s) System&[email protected] Absorber

Thanks

·
Registered
MB
18 Posts
Kevin your spacers are in the mail. Shoot some WD40 on the shock studs the day before. It will make it a whole lot easier the next day.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2008 ML350, 1979 450 SL
80 Posts
You are the best man! Please, please if you are ever in the area shoot me a message and I will take you out for some beers and we can talk about our benz's...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Hi, I am trying to replace front shocks on my '98 ML320. I loosened the botton bolt. Started undoing the top nut. The last quarter inch of the threads to go and the nut and the shaft of the shock start turning. I used lock pliers on the shaft (above the nut), the lock pliers are just chewing up the shaft. What am I doing wrong? I have sprayed penetrating spray liberally. Please suggest. I must be doing something wrong. It's dark out and I gave up for the day. I will take a picture tomorrow and post.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,703 Posts
Hi, I am trying to replace front shocks on my '98 ML320. I loosened the botton bolt. Started undoing the top nut. The last quarter inch of the threads to go and the nut and the shaft of the shock start turning. I used lock pliers on the shaft (above the nut), the lock pliers are just chewing up the shaft. What am I doing wrong? I have sprayed penetrating spray liberally. Please suggest. I must be doing something wrong. It's dark out and I gave up for the day. I will take a picture tomorrow and post.
It helps to clean rust above the nut beforehand. There are sockets designed to hold shock stem. A137, Socket, Shock Absorber, 3/8" Drive, 1/4" oval width, 29/32" long

You are replacing shock so grab stem below nut with vise grips. If that does not do it cut below nut with hacksaw.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Hi Witek,

I took the truck to a mechanic because the drivers side is more difficult...

For the passenger side, mechanic just grinded the nut and removed.

For the drivers side, it was more difficult. Grinding the nut would be too dangerous because there are brake lines immediately next to the nut and the AC line is there as well. Holding the stem above the nut wasn't giving enough grip; so he wanted to hold the stem below the nut (after removing the plastic cover). Since the stem was super slippery, he wanted to grind the surface of the stem, but the upper control arm was in the way. So, he removed the nut on the upper ball joint and loosened the control arm bolts and moved the control arm up. Then, he grinded two spots on the stem for the lock-plier to latch-on-to. Then the nut came. I paid $100 to the mechanic. It was worth it.

After the Monroe Reflex shocks install, the truck height is increased by about half inch. Should I be concerned about it?

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
1,149 Posts
I went with KYB GR series shocks up front on my 55 and I like them and would do them again. They are a little firm, which is good in my book, and the ride control is good. They may also feel firm compared to my OEMs which were shot. Also my OEMS on my 55 may have been a bit firmer then other models to begin with, so consider this when considering my comparison. I got them from tire rack for a good price. Im also working with a totally rebuilt front end, so consider that also. I paired the KYB fronts with new OEM rear Shocks and Springs (my OEM springs were fractured), and am happy with the result. My ride height also increased slightly after the install, but this was expected when swapping out broken in and worn springs and shocks. At one point, I had the dealer adjust my front end ride height back to stock, as my torson bar adjustment had loosened over time. Ill probably goto H&R springs out back and a 1 to 1.2 drop up front by torsion adjustment at some point.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
As mentioned above, I've replaced the front shocks (on my '98 ML320) with Monroe Reflex. Upon close inspection, I see there is a gap on the bottom bolt. Take a look at the picture below. I didn't receive any extra washers/attachments. So, should I just add a thicker washer to the bottom bolt and button it up?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
43sqd, When I saw the old shock and new shock looked exactly alike and the packaging didn't include, I thought these are improved design. The mechanic didn't say anything about the gap. I wish he pointed out the gap to me. oh well...

I will order the adapter washer kit. Thanks 43sqd.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 Sport
64 Posts
Get that fixed ASAP. That is a recipe for a sheared shock bolt which sucks. To get mine out after it sheared(Even with the spacer) took multiple hours(cobalt bits are key, bolt pretty much laughed at everything else). Thread got messed up but a ~4 inch grade 8 bolt/nut work fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts