Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I received my OHV kit from EuroFPC ; yesterday. I ordered the part by the part number of the Bosch unit. What I received was in a plastic envelope with the label MPC, and a different part number from the one I ordered. There are no identifying letters or numbers on the part I ordered. The previous MTC units I have purchased a taper on the top end of the chrome cylinder of the valve; the new was does not, which is also the case with the original factory unit in my OHV valve. I suppose the listing in their catalogue may have meant that their part was a replacement for the Bosch part number unit. Just letting you know.

Shoman

I'll add an image and a clarification in the description on Monday. The Bosch number is listed in the OE Number field to aid with searching however I apologize if it lead to the assumption that this is a Bosch branded product. You both ordered the same unit and wooky_chew_bacca, yours will arrive Monday. If there is any info you'd like me to include in the description that may aid customers in the future, feel free to let me know.

--Kyle ([email protected])

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,932 Posts
I just want to make sure it fits in the housing without the rubber being oversize (over 30mm) and not seating correctly

·
Registered
Mercedes 1986 560SEC
399 Posts
Fellow heat seekers,

My heat seems to be OK now, at least up to about 75 mph. I used the procedure described by John to repair my torn diaphragm. Subsequently I could'nt get heat above 2,000 rpm. I tried unplugging the aux. heat connection, and burping the system. Over a period of a week or so I repeatedly checked my antifreeze levels. On at least three occasions the antifreeze was an inch or so below the seam on the antifreeze reservoir, and I topped it up. It seems the air in the system is difficult to remove, I had burped it three times, top and bottom radiator hose, etc. I still need to test at higher speeds, but so far it seems I have heat.

Shoman

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Ok boys and girls, caveat emptor, got my parts in today. Yes the monovalve turned out to be an MTC unit, haven't measured the rubber (no micrometer) I was just getting one now since there seems to be a limited supply of these monovalves

With the new ball joints I'm going to go to HF and see if they have a press that will work, if not I'll probably just pull the knuckles and take em to a shop a couple of towns over that "specialize" in MB and Beemer repairs and see if they can swap em out (I can't afford a 600 dollar tool to be used once)

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,203 Posts
Added 12/24/2015

Folks in the 107 forum thought highly enough of the information in this thread and the now closed thread that preceded it that they were both nominated for and are now enshrined in The Encyclopaedia Germanica Volume 107 (aka EGv107) sticky. Thanks for posting them.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,839 Posts
Added 12/24/2015

Folks in the 107 forum thought highly enough of the information in this thread and the now closed thread that preceded it that they were both nominated for and are now enshrined in The Encyclopaedia Germanica Volume 107 (aka EGv107) sticky. Thanks for posting them.
Yes sir.

This thread and the closed thread got my heater going.

See the tails several 107's here.

Many thanks to the people who contributed.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/2528009-mono-valve-diagnosis-needed-560sl.html

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Dang :eek are we good or are we GOOD :laugh

Mehr Khrimuh everyone, I hope Sandy Claws was good to ya :grin

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
I know this is dredging up an old thread but I was poking around the 84SEC this afternoon and the "lightbulb" went off over me head. I pulled the monovalve from the 84 and the gods must be smiling upon me, when I checked the rubber on the valve it is in like new condition, a little dirty but no cracks or dry rot and the best part is that it has the Bosch "MB 30-2" . I still haven't swapped out the MTC valve I got a couple of months ago but will use this one instead and if the rubber ever gives out I'll use this valve body/spring assembly with the new rubber from the MTC unit. No hurry because we won't be using the heat for a while now

Attachments

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
416 Posts
I am happy that I bought an MB OEM part only a few months back, but disappointed that there is another part to add to the OEM NLA parts list. Bad Mercedes, bad!

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,903 Posts
I think I saw on a website maybe "parts geek" where they sell only the rubber bit "diaphram" that fits on the plunger for about $16. This is the solution as it's a simple solenoid and the rubber part is what fails. MTC makes a replacement but the metal part is not to spec and that's why they usually fail. I believe the part I saw was made by URO but something that works is better than constant or no heat. I have had success with taking the rubber bit off the MTC part and transplanting it to the original MB plunger. Mike

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,221 Posts
As Mike says, some of us have had good results using the MTC diaphragm on the MB plunger, some have stated mixed results. At $15-$25 for an MTC donor diaphragm, I'd give that idea first attempt status too.

For those of us just tuning in, as has been mentioned previously, the BMW insert appears identical to the Bosch/MB one and makes a good replacement.
As of December 2019, they ARE available and run about $160~ish and is a drop-in.
BMW 64118390132

Wouldn't it be just great if MB did another run of these vital parts as they did in 2016?

MBL

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 10.39.00 AM.png

·
Registered
300sl 1987
745 Posts
If push comes to shove, I read somewhere about a guy repairing the rubber diaphragm by gluing at it's back some rubber bit to reconstruct it. He got good results. I am sure with some DIY with coolant friendly rubber and some 3M special glue I found I could reconstruct it. Just another idea...

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,221 Posts
"repairing the rubber diaphragm by gluing at it's back some rubber bit to reconstruct it."

With no other resources available, I'd probably attempt such a work-around/repair. Going forward, I would always be wondering if, how long my work was gonna last.
I'd obsess about that as if it were a loose tooth!

That said though, today [2019] we still have good viable alternatives at hand.. [thank goodness].

M.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts