Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car was at the mechanic for ignition key replacement. He noticed the trouble, that I was aware off. But I am not 100% sure that it is the cat. The car is vibrating badly at stop lights and acceleration is very hard. 0 to 60 takes 5 minutes! And I alone (not the mechanic) know that fuel efficiency has fallen down to 9 mpg!! All other things have been fixed and tested too. Except for EGR valve.

The mechanic wants around $3K to put a new catalytic converter. He says the cost of a new OEM convertor from the dealer is $1.5K. He says none of the after market cats will fit this car. And they will have to be cut and welded. Which he does not recommend. Cat from the dealer will fit the car perfectly, it seems. Labor and other things will be another $1.5K, may go to $2K. Because the entire car has to be lifted up and all the exhaust has to be removed. I said, I will see to it later, and brought the car back with me. Of course paid $700 for the ignition key.

My friend changed the cat in his Toyota Takoma truck. He said it was very easy. Only nuts and bolts have to be removed and tightened. Reading from the previous posts, it looks like, it is not a DIY job in the 560 SEL. So will have to go to a mechanic. Some in our forum have used Magnaflow. It probably costs only $200. I don't know which Mercedes Mechanic will put Magnaflow in my car in Maryland. DarkOne says he knows some one who sells High Flow Cat in PA, only for $150. If that guy also fixes cats on a 560SEL and does a good job, then I can take my car there. I am also thinking of just taking the car to MIDAS or MEINKE muffler shops and have it fixed. Because they charge a standard rate of $70 an hour. I think MEINKE installs Magnaflow. But how good they work on a Mercedes? Are they reliable? I should probably ask Mitch Carr Auto and see what his quotes are.

I want to drag on till April. So that I would have saved some money. If it will cost me like $1K, at MIDAS or some other mechanic. (This mechanic says, I can fry up my spark plug wires and damage the engine. Is it true? So I am driving the car sparingly and slowly.)

Any thoughts or ideas?

Ramesh.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't know about emissions in Maryland, but in SC I just remove them and have a piece of pipe put in its place. There is no way I would spend that much for the exhaust. The parts car I have I removed both cats to sell and it ran fine it was a 560SEL. All be it sounded like a NASCAR it still ran fine. Aftermarket is just as good, although keep your old cats and PM me I'll buy them from you

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Ramesh,

The guy is either a complete idiot, or he is flat out lying. Either way, run from his shop as fast as you can. :mad:

I got a complete new stainless steel exhaust system, downpipes to tailpipe including dual high-flow cats, in-line resonators and muffler for less than $2,000 and people think I paid too much.

The catalytic converts were only about $150 each, if I remember correctly.

I guess if you were to go to the MB dealership and ask for a new OEM exhaust system, you'd pay what this guy is asking, but there is no reason to do that. An aftermarket system will be better in so many ways; lighter, stanless steel, more efficient cats, more power, better sound, etc.

Ask around and find a competent local muffler shop, they'll fix your catalytic converter problem for less than $500.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
For $3000 you could have gotten in on the Remus muffler group buy and still had $2000 left to do the rest of the system!

- Steve

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Ramesh,

The guy is either a complete idiot, or he is flat out lying. Either way, run from his shop as fast as you can. :mad:

I got a complete new stainless steel exhaust system, downpipes to tailpipe including dual high-flow cats, in-line resonators and muffler for less than $2,000 and people think I paid too much.

The catalytic converts were only about $150 each, if I remember correctly.

I guess if you were to go to the MB dealership and ask for a new OEM exhaust system, you'd pay what this guy is asking, but there is no reason to do that. An aftermarket system will be better in so many ways; lighter, stanless steel, more efficient cats, more power, better sound, etc.

Ask around and find a competent local muffler shop, they'll fix your catalytic converter problem for less than $500.
couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If he says aftermarket cats won't work is pure bullshit. Pardon the language, but i'm holding back. You could do it yourself without welding if you were ok with using U bolts and adapters. Call up Midas and ask if they have generic cats and how much does it cost to have them welded in place.

Seriously, if its just cats you need, let me know. I'll do it for a $1,000 plus parts!!! :)

On a more serious note, if you have access to an indoor garage, I might be willing to give you a hand installing the cats. You can find them here, Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030 and I would consider this place a little expensive. Dr. Gas is usually more reasonable and you can find what you need.

Dr.Gas :: Catalytic Convertors

But seriously, you could hack saw off the cats, and either slip fit, or use U bolts to connect. Two catalytic converters would run you around $350 to $450 depending on what you need w/ shipping included.

Shoot me a PM and we'll talk...but $700 for ignition? What did you have done???

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
What Axel said, in spades. In Nevada, any brand catalytic converter can be installed but the key is that that brand's documentation must show that the cat installed is for that make/model of car. I can put any cat I want on the 560SEL, as long as I can show documentation that that model cat is for that year/model car. If Magnaflow has one, go for it. Welding it in place is done all the time, so is bolting - what ever you want.

I'll bet you can find an appropriate cat for the Mercedes for under $100. We used a $47 cat in a Mercedes shop all the time and it passed CA visual inspection and cleaned up the exhaust just fine. No, I don't remember the brand, but it was one of many cats available. Go to one of the major parts houses (e.g., Autozone, Pep Boys) and see what they have available. Go to a local (non-national) muffler shop and see what they'll do for you. I'd be surprised if you had to spend more than $300 for the whole job.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A couple years ago I had 2 "compact" cats installed on my 84 500SEC AMG at a local muffler shop that was recommended. He tucked them up just after the exhaust manifolds, added in bungs for the O2 sensors. Nice clean custom job, nothing shows under the car. It helped with the smog test #s. Parts, labor, tax, $419.51 total.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, your "mechanic" should be shot in the face. Seriously, take your business elsewhere. That's completely absurd on every single count

It boggles my mind that mechanics feel like they can decieve people this blatantly. Fry your spark plug wires? That's almost as bad as some of the stuff my girlfriend was told when she went into Jiffy Lube :) I'm really sorry you got mixed up with such a scumbag.

edit: you know what? You should report him to the Better Business Bureau....or PM me the name of the place, and I'll file a report. This guy and his shop need to be put out of business

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Ramesh,

When you take the car in to have the catalytic converter changed, ask for the old one back, or ask them how much credit they will give you for the old cat.

The older style catalytic converters had much more platinum in them than the modern ones and the muffler shops probably make more money from selling old cats to metal brokers than they make from selling and installing mufflers.

With platinum over $1,700/Oz. these days, a few grams in a catalytic converter is not something you should give away.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I don't know about emissions in Maryland, but in SC I just remove them and have a piece of pipe put in its place. There is no way I would spend that much for the exhaust. The parts car I have I removed both cats to sell and it ran fine it was a 560SEL. All be it sounded like a NASCAR it still ran fine. Aftermarket is just as good, although keep your old cats and PM me I'll buy them from you
Removing or tampering with emission equipment is both a state and federal offense. Big fines and possible jail time. You're also polluting the air so please put it back.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Cat Rebuild

You can try these guys Catalytic Converters, Smith Brothers . I spoke tho them regarding a different project. They say they can rebuild any cat. The OEM cat for my BMW were 3k these guys said they can open the old cat and rebuild them for $400 this was for two. Another route is Timevalve I used their cat on my SEC the provide a cat that could handle 7.0L engine. Theory is the larger the cat the more free flowing. There are lots of options out there for half the price you are being quoted.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yep generic cats are definately the way to go. however, I'd go with a freeflow cat. Most are already, but make sure.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I think I made a lot of the same comments on the phone..something about someone with an IQ of 60 should be able to pull this off for a fraction of the #'s you were saying.

Jonathan

·
Registered
732 Posts
This mechanic says, I can fry up my spark plug wires and damage the engine
I'm also interested in whether this is the case or not, if anyone knows. I think I clogged the cat on my Pontiac by putting the ignition wires on in the wrong order (pretty pathetic screw up, but at least it's a good excuse to go for that 3" down pipe).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ramesh,

I just went through the same problems with the same symptoms on my Car. When the mech. removed the CAT, everything started to fall out. Have since ordered 2 DEC cats and both were incorrect and did not fit. One was outright wrong and the other leaked exhaust. Also, the angles were all wrong. The thing looked like it was ready to fall off. Back to the vendor they went. Finally got a CAT designed to fit the benz. The angles are all good and the unit has dual pipes (not y's connecting to a single pipe) from the exhaust directly into the CAT & properly sized) and duals out to the rest of the unit. Took some doing to find, but I believe the distributor is out of B' more. Don't know the make since my mechanic tracked this down. Was about to put a custom system on when the mechanic located it. Cost was about $695. PM me if you have questions. BTW, the mech says the EGR should be checked and cleaned.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm also interested in whether this is the case or not, if anyone knows. I think I clogged the cat on my Pontiac by putting the ignition wires on in the wrong order (pretty pathetic screw up, but at least it's a good excuse to go for that 3" down pipe).
I would think the answer is no, but it would depend on how close the cats are to the manifold, how the wires are placed, etc. Looking at the Benz, I don't think that is the case.

I had clogged cats, basically melted them--but thats another story (high performance drag car). The clogged cats didn't melt the wires, or damage anything. The only thing it would do is raise your Nox levels or other emissions issues, along with some pinging/knocking in the engine due to the higher heat levels--but manifolds take some pretty darn high temps.

I am not sure how putting the wires in the wrong order would screw up your catalytic converter to tell you the truth.

Anyway, overall I would say the answer is no to the clogged cats causing that kind of damage.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Cat gets destroyed (read: not working from the emissions standpoint) when exposed to unburnt fuel almost immediately. Putting wires in the wrong order and running the engine for a while will destroy a cat without a doubt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts