Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - Just a heads up. Mercedessource just got more Monark Nozzles in inventory. If you've been looking for these for a while (like I have), now might be a good time to hop on it since they have a "limited supply."

4 Cyl - 4 Cyl 615 616 601 Monark Diesel Fuel Injector Nozzles w/ Heat Shields - LIMITED INVENTORY 3/27/12 | MercedesSource.com
5 Cyl - 5 Cylinder 617 Monark Diesel Fuel Injector Nozzles w/ Heat Shields - LIMITED INVENTORY 3/27/12 | MercedesSource.com

I've never replaced my nozzles before (and I don't have a pop tester..). Should I have reason to be intimidated by this job?

Note: I have no affiliation with Mercedessource, just giving a friendly heads up.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,068 Posts
Hey all - Just a heads up. Mercedessource just got more Monark Nozzles in inventory. If you've been looking for these for a while (like I have), now might be a good time to hop on it since they have a "limited supply."

4 Cyl - 4 Cyl 615 616 601 Monark Diesel Fuel Injector Nozzles w/ Heat Shields - LIMITED INVENTORY 3/27/12 | MercedesSource.com
5 Cyl - 5 Cylinder 617 Monark Diesel Fuel Injector Nozzles w/ Heat Shields - LIMITED INVENTORY 3/27/12 | MercedesSource.com

I've never replaced my nozzles before (and I don't have a pop tester..). Should I have reason to be intimidated by this job?

Note: I have no affiliation with Mercedessource, just giving a friendly heads up.
Vince Walson's way of rebuilding Injectors
vincewaldon.com - HOW-TO: Rebuild Diesel IDI Injectors

·
Registered
255 Posts
MSource instructions and kit are good. Don't buy shims as they are expensive. Have your rebuilts tested local diesel shop. Fee for testing then if not within specs $10 each to shim and retest. MSource recommends lube with light oil on completion. I recommend WD40 or diesel fuel. You should have them tested because of engine idle smoothness.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,068 Posts
MSource instructions and kit are good. Don't buy shims as they are expensive. Have your rebuilts tested local diesel shop. Fee for testing then if not within specs $10 each to shim and retest. MSource recommends lube with light oil on completion. I recommend WD40 or diesel fuel. You should have them tested because of engine idle smoothness.
Unless you are speking of the oiling outside of the Injector the interior parts should be dipped in Diesel Fuel as you assemble them.
Besides providing lubrication for the moving parts it washes off any dust or lint that accumulates on the sruface.

If you do not believe that stuff accumulats on the surface find a dark colored smooth piece of Metal and clean it off good. Dip it in Diesel Fuel and let it sit out for 10 minutes or so and observe what stickes to it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
MSource recommends "dry coat the parts with a thin film of engine oil and assemble." Three failed the pop test. After cleaning, one of the three required shim adjustment. Nothing to do with lint or dirt, just too much oil.

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good to know. I'll be heading down to CT to spend some time with a fellow forum member in the next few weeks to rebuild them over a couple beers. He has a pop tester, so it solves that problem!

Any recommendation whether or not I should dry coat the inner w/ engine oil or soak the parts in diesel prior to reassembly?

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,272 Posts
In the past i have worked in a MB work shop in the 90 s and in all the time i worked there i have never seen any one in the garage change a set of these injectors on a service .So do be sure before you go down this path,, that yours ar toast before replacing them ..I would gert a test done on them first .I removed mine last year .I had no problems with the engine just that they were 30 years old .With the new ones in i can see no change in the way the car runs ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts