Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i unscrewed the bolt holding the wheel on, and them put the momo hub on with the wheel so far. but it wont sit flush against the steering shaft. can anyone help me with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this thing is driving me nuts, it doesnt make sense as to how to get the wheel on the hub. the 6 holes on the wheel are not threaded and slightly bigger than the allen screws givin in the set.
any one out there please, how are u supposed to get the wheel and hub together, and what is that metal ring for? and the little metal piece off of it???

i did hook up the horn wires, it works, but beyond that, i am so lost.

as for the gear box, here is a pic of what peices i have taken out, and i still cant move the box

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Not sure what to tell you on the wheel..but on your shifter it looks as though yours may be one piece and you'll have to remove the 4 10mm bolts. Hopefully you'll be able to get enough room in there to fit two 15mm open end wrenchs. If not, you'll have to pull the center console..not a bad job, just a hassle.

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this sucks bigtime.

i could probably get to teh bolts on the right side but on the left, they are so totally covered by that black plastic trapezoid looking thing that is on each side but more on the left. i dont know how to get down to them with that in the way. ?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Those are the air ducts. With a quarter inch long extension you should be able to reach them. If not, you'll have to move the center console. There are screws hidden by the CC surround as well as on in the back under the carpet/storage tray. You'll have to get the vent out as well..pull the little arrow/vent adjuster knob off and then work the grill out (little prongs on spring steel). With that out you can get to the two screws that hold it to the center console.

Quite the can of worms you have here;-)

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zebrano wood gear shifter, new, for sale 75 bucks [V]

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i emailed the company where i got the hub from, heres what they said.

"As for the holes, it should not be a concern if they are a little larger as long as the heads of the screws do not looks like they are going to pull through. The top side of the holes in the steering wheel should be countersunk to match the taper on the screws. If not, you may have to buy different screws, like button heads. They are 5mm.

The bright silver ring is the horn button retaining ring. If you do not have a standard round MOMO horn button, you may not need it. However you may need it to complete the horn electrical circuit. It looks like you have 2 wires coming from your horn button. One should go to the horn wire coming out of the hub and the other one should attach to that little tab on the horn button retaining ring so that when you press the button it completes a ground circuit. You may have to change the connectors on the wires in order to attach them."

im still unsure how he means i should get the screws in tho, from what side, through the wheel then the hub or vice versa

·
Registered
2004 ML270
538 Posts
It looks to me like the ring sits on top of the wheel and the bolts go through both of those and thread into the adaptor.

Can you pull the sides off the centre console and reach those bolts?

I am about to do the same thing myself but not for a couple of weeks so hopefully you will check for me first :)

Cheers
Matt.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
The aluminum ring goes between the actual steering wheel and the hub. What you will need to do is pull back the center portion of the steering wheel. This will expose 6 holes where you would screw the wheel to the hub. Then you would back the center part of the steering wheel back on. Sorry for being late with the reply...

Not to diss you, but you're a bright guy if you're in med school. You should have an idea of how things screw together... this isn't rocket science.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
yeah...bout that gear knob...just use a sharp razor and cut the OEM rubber one off, weld/epoxy a thin steel rod onto the old stem, and then slip the new rod and knob on.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no offense taken, but if the center portion of the wheel did come off, it would be clear how to screw it in, but on this wheel i dont think it comes off without ruining the wheel, enless there is something else about it i don t know

i appreciate everyones help and patience

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
vdubpower - 5/2/2005 1:14 PM

no offense taken, but if the center portion of the wheel did come off, it would be clear how to screw it in, but on this wheel i dont think it comes off without ruining the wheel, enless there is something else about it i don t know

i appreciate everyones help and patience
I have the exact same wheel and hub... you take off the center portion of the wheel. You gently pry one side at a time. Once you get it off, you will see 6 holes and once the hub is attached to the steering colomn... you simply screw it to the hub and put the center portion back on. I don't know how much simpler I can explain

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in regards to "grounding" the horn, i plugged in the 2 connectors on the hub to the 2 connectors in the wheel and the horn worked, with plugging anything into the metal tab in the ring. Am i grounded? or does the metal tab in the ring need a plug too?

snibble does your hub sit flush with your steering shaft, cuz i cant get mine any closer than the pic above, thanks

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
I haven't put the steering wheel on.. Just have the hub attached to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Quick Q. Isn't it illegal to replace a steering wheel (in a car that came w/an air bag) with a non-airbag wheel? Or so I've heard.
If not I'm gonna get rid of the evil contraption.[}:)]

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
Classified - 5/2/2005 6:47 PM

Quick Q. Isn't it illegal to replace a steering wheel (in a car that came w/an air bag) with a non-airbag wheel? Or so I've heard.
If not I'm gonna get rid of the evil contraption.[}:)]
I don't know the law in my state... but to me, "its only illegal if you get caught". Same thing goes for window tinting.. if its a few % darker than allowed.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wheel is done, now the freaking gear ordeal, LOL

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
vdubpower - 5/2/2005 8:55 PM

wheel is done, now the freaking gear ordeal, LOL
No "thank you"?[;)] I'm wondering about the shift knob switch myself... something that I plan on doing as well.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey come on, ive got thanks and appreciations in all my post above, cut me some slack [:D]

as for the gear shifter, i dont know how much longer i can deal with this.

i did notice, tho, if i stick my hand under the box from the back side, i can feel the shifter shaft and a nut that is screwed onto something, but it feels like one of those plastic nuts, i can screw it tight or loose pretty freeely. problem is is i just cant see it so im not messing with it until im sure

if i end up taking this to my mechanic, im sure ill get charged a chunk of change for the install

1 - 19 of 19 Posts