Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
'74 & '78 450 SEL
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District

Judge Sentenced Mother Convicted of Falsifying Residency Records to 10 Days in Jail

Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District - ABC News

There are laws that children must attend the public school in the district where they reside. If that school sucks and the kids receive a low quality education and there is epidemic violence, drugs and gang activity that's just too bad.

If you were the parents of school age children, what would you want to do? Would you just accept that that's the law and let your children get screwed out of their future and be exposed to a dangerous environment on a day to day basis? I know that I would want to change the law so I would have a choice about where to send my kids.

I think it's interesting that this issue breaks down along ideological lines with liberal/Democrat on the side of the status quo and conservative/Republican on the side of change. Why is it that the side which is usually pro-choice is against personal choice with regard to education? If misdirected taxes are the argument they why don't they support a voucher system which would allow parents to send their fair share of tax dollars to the school district where they want to send their kids?

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
She should home school her kids.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
A stupid law.

·
Registered
'74 & '78 450 SEL
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she's just sucking on the government teat, she should pony up the cash for a good private school education...:1poke::twak:

I agree. But I have a practical question. What about parents who are too poor to afford a private school?

I think it's a fair question considering our Federal and State governments subsidize poor people with money in such areas as food, housing, health care, job training, college tuition, starting and running a business and numerous other things. Shouldn't a basic K-12 education in a school of reasonable quality be similarly subsidized?

·
Registered
'74 & '78 450 SEL
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry, obviously the sarcasm font is broken today...

My fault.

Although I did consider that you were being sarcastic I decided you were being serious because I've had this discussion before and a lot of people do think that way.

Maybe use one of these things: :rolleyes:

You know - for people like me - in the slow class. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The woman was not jailed for sending her children to a better school district; she was convicted of falsifying her residency records and jailed ten days accordingly.

But it makes for good – and misleading – headlines and thread titles.

I think it's a fair question considering our Federal and State governments subsidize poor people with money in such areas as food, housing, health care, job training, college tuition, starting and running a business and numerous other things. Shouldn't a basic K-12 education in a school of reasonable quality be similarly subsidized?
They are. Here in Florida as well as other states there is a ‘voucher program’ where students of poor performing public schools receive funding to attend private schools.

As for the news article, is the issue that the woman’s school of residence is of poor quality or of her desire to send the children to what she perceives to be a ‘better’ school? In this case it seems the latter.

·
Registered
'74 & '78 450 SEL
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The woman was not jailed for sending her children to a better school district; she was convicted of falsifying her residency records and jailed ten days accordingly.

But it makes for good – and misleading – headlines and thread titles.

So what? President Clinton was impeached because he committed perjury, filed false court documents, tampered with evidence and coached others to lie in court on his behalf. Yet he was acquitted because it was considered understandable for him to commit fraud under the circumstances he found himself under. Committing fraud and lying to protect yourself from the legal consequences are supposed to be noble when the law is no longer just and fair but arbitrary and lacking in common sense.

·
Banned
2007 E350 4Matic P2; 2008 GL320 CDI P2
20,153 Posts
You just don't understand.

See the ends justify the means, if and only if either the ends support typical liberal causes.

While the ends never justify the means, if it is a conservative cause supported, or a liberal minded law broken.

Get it?

·
Registered
CLS 550
888 Posts
In my area or FL, (I'm pretty sure it's still this way) students can choose which school they want to attend so long as it is within the county. We have several academically low/high crime middle schools and/or high schools in my county. However, if a student from any of those schools enrolls early enough into another/better school of their choice that they aren't zoned for, they will usually get in, so long as they were quick to do so - otherwise the classes would fill.

I tend to think that this is a good method about school zoning (county-wide, or more) because it leaves the choice to the student/parent, where the student's drive to become more or do better is provoked. Those who want it, get it. Those who really don't have the drive, miss out.

The woman shouldn't have been jailed though, geeez. Ultimately she was jailed for wanting the best education for her kids!? Nuts, what happened to discretion?

·
Registered
'74 & '78 450 SEL
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had to face this type of decision for my daughter when my wife and I divorced. The ex moved to Rockford, Illinois, which has abysmal and also dangerous schools. After much discussion we decided that our daughter would live with me so she could go to a much better school in my home town, but after a couple of years it became obvious that my work schedule didn't allow things to continue and she moved back in with her mother.

This didn't last long, either because the school was little more than daytime babysitting and her education there was next to useless. We ended up letting her drop out so she could get her GED and she could continue her education in the local community college.

·
Banned
20,153 Posts
I had to face this type of decision for my daughter when my wife and I divorced. The ex moved to Rockford, Illinois, which has abysmal and also dangerous schools. After much discussion we decided that our daughter would live with me so she could go to a much better school in my home town, but after a couple of years it became obvious that my work schedule didn't allow things to continue and she moved back in with her mother.

This didn't last long, either because the school was little more than daytime babysitting and her education there was next to useless. We ended up letting her drop out so she could get her GED and she could continue her education in the local community college.
Welcome to Illinois, where dropping out and getting a GED is a sign the education system has failed, rather then a sign the student has.

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
GOOD! I think she should have received a much harsher sentence for the FRAUD that she committed.

Her excuse is just as stupid: "It's overwhelming. I'm exhausted," she said. "I did this for them, so there it is. I did this for them."

^^^ Should I rob a bank for a million dollars and say, "I did it for my kid"?:rolleyes:

She BROKE THE LAW. If she wants to send her kids to that school, then move. If she can't afford to move, tough shit! The world is not fair. She undermined ALL those who worked hard, made the right choices and are able to afford to and live in that district.

I would like to have a Ferrari but I know that I cannot afford one. However if, dude down the street has one and I want to take my kid to school in one also, should I go steal one? She should also be made to pay back all the money that she STOLE (for her kids, of course).

She is a piece of shit thief and a fraud and should be treated as such. What made her believe that she was entitled? She wants the kids, however she wants to use the father's address? THEN TURN THE KIDS OVER TO THE DADDY! Give him custody! She wants her cake and eat it too.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
20,153 Posts
GOOD! I think she should have received a much harsher sentence for the FRAUD that she committed.

Her excuse is just as stupid: "It's overwhelming. I'm exhausted," she said. "I did this for them, so there it is. I did this for them."

^^^ Should I rob a bank for a million dollars and say, "I did it for my kid"?:rolleyes:

She BROKE THE LAW. If she wants to send her kids to that school, then move. If she can't afford to move, tough shit! The world is not fair. She undermined ALL those who worked hard, made the right choices and are able to afford to and live in that district.

I would like to have a Ferrari but I know that I cannot afford one. However if, dude down the street has one and I want to take my kid to school in one also, should I go steal one? She should also be made to pay back all the money that she STOLE (for her kids, of course).

She is a piece of shit thief and a fraud and should be treated as such. What made her believe that she was entitled? She wants the kids, however she wants to use the father's address? THEN TURN THE KIDS OVER TO THE DADDY! Give him custody! She wants her cake and eat it too.:rolleyes:
The punishment should fit the crime.

Please show the harm done by her actions so we can asses the penalty that is in concert with your outrage.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts

Let's change the parameters, just a little and see what you say:

If the Palistinians don't like their lot in Israel, let them move, if they can't afford to move, tough shit!

I doubt that you will have the same feelings about that.

The woman tried to do the best she could with what she had.

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
The punishment should fit the crime.

Please show the harm done by her actions so we can asses the penalty that is in concert with your outrage.
No need to show harm done. It's NOT about that! However, if this and cases like these are ignored and instead of this one women, thousands start to do this, you can imagine what can happen. There are reasons why laws exist. This was not fair to all those who are paying premium taxes, living there, and sending their kids to school in that district. She stole from them. There are EVEN people that are living there who don't have kids, but are still paying the premium taxes. (Probably not very fair but they ARE obeying the law.) This woman simply decided to steal. She lives in a lower tax area (I'm assuming) and is paying less taxes, and wants to send her kids to another school WITHOUT paying her dues? You think that is OK?

What is more important than "harm done" is that she broke the law. 10 days IMO is very lenient for stealing $30,000 worth of benefits. Hell, let me rob a bank, put $30K in my pocket, and I would GLADLY go to jail for 10 days! After I get out, I'd do it again!!!! So the punishment IMO does NOT fit the crime. She got off EASY!

What is even more important is the message this sends out to others who may be doing the same thing. DON'T DO IT! Again, what ENTITLES her to do this while other parents are following the rules and keeping their kids in the lesser school district? Are her kids more special?

Should I doctor up my earnings so I can get Medicaid? What would the gov't do to me if I had used up $30k worth of Medicaid benefits by committing fraud?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts