Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and new to owning an SLK 230. My issue is there is moisture in my drivers side headlight. Need to know how to get headlight apart to fix it.Do I take it completely out,or remove it at the seal or just how? Is scilicone sealer the best way to keep moisture out? Many thanks Earl in NC:)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
It is not uncommon - headlight has to breathe

Try a bead of silicone down the vertical join and it will tell you where the problem is. (invisible if you wipe over with a bit of turps on a rag)

If you are lazy like me, it will still be be OK 2 yrs from now

Oberoi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Dukegrad. I have the same problem and posed it on the forum a couple weeks ago. If you look on about page 3 of this R170 forum you'll see my original post..."2003 SLK moisture..." I did get several very helpful replies. One reply was to replace the gasket, has the part numbers and everything, very handy. Another (Bazzle-SLK expert) said to remove the gasket and clean with WD40 and it slightly swells the gasket and seals better. The other was to use a tiny bead of clear silicone between the headlight and turn signal flasher light. It's been really cold and wintery here in Illinois so I haven't been driving the car, let alone working on it in my freezing cold garage. But when the weather breaks, I think I will try cleaning the gasket and making sure the vent isn't plugged. Good luck!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Duketgrad, welcome to the forum :) Here's the discussion Bimmel is talking about http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1414302-2003-slk230-moisture-drivers-side-headlight.html

I fixed mine a few days ago by taking the headlight off, removing the lenses and using silicone sealent between the headlight body and seal, and then the lense and seal, making sure everything was nice and dry first (I had quite a lot of moisture in mine). I then put it all back together and also ran sealent along the join between the headlamp and indicator like oberoi said to do...so far I've done 300 miles mostly in the wet and it is staying clear, i cant beleive how much brighter my head lights are now too (bit obvious really I know).

If you are stuck for time then do the fix oberoi has suggested, then if that doesnt last it isnt too difficult to take the head light out which you will need to do to remove the lense, takes only a few minutes to take the headlight off and take it in to the warm to work on it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
First you need to remove the indicator housing (see instructions below) and disconnect the indicator bulb and holder from the housing. Then you need to undo the 3 bolts that hold the headlight in place...one 8mm bolt connects next to the grille, one 8mm is on top next to the wing, and the 3rd is a 10mm bolt beneath where the indicator was, you will need a socket and long extender bar to get to this one. Once all 3 removed twist the headlight by lifting and pulling the end nearest the grille first, its a bit fiddly but the light eventaully comes out (you may need to lift the side nearest the wing too as it turns). Then disconnect the cable from the back of the lamp and you are done.

To remove the lense, take off the black rubber strip that runs around the edge off the headlamp/indicator (its a push fit) and then unclip all the metal clips holding the lense on, they come off easily, and the gently prise the lense away from the housing, i did it was a screwdriver a little at a time working my way around until it was off trying not to damage the seal.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you have to take the headlight assembly completely out to remove the lens cover? Can it not be done with it in the car?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I tried to remove the clips that hold the lense on without removing the headlight but its almost impossible to take the 2 clips under the light off without dropping them inside the front bumper, and even harder to put back on, so it was quicker to remove the whole light. Also it was cold and wet when I did it and i have to work outside so taking the whole light indoors was the only way to make sure everything inside the lamp was dry before reasembly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took my headlight out and there was only 2 screws holding it on. No bolts. Had bad seal on one side. I filled it with scilicone and reinstalled 10 minutes tops

1 - 10 of 10 Posts