Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1955 401
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why dont we have one? Looks like there has been 2 or 3 out west.Tennessee,Georgia ,N. or S. Carolina and of course Alabama,any state would be a good place to have one. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,684 Posts
I would think a better place would be the north east. Seems to be more mogs there than down south. Some place like Mass. NY. PA or NH would get more of a crowd.

·
Registered
1955 401
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
North or South as long as its the eastern side of the US,of course being from Al im going to push for the south.I would be happy to attend either though.I have taken my Land Rover to Georgia , N. Carolina and Virginia to wheel and enjoyed all areas.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,148 Posts
I vote for the central Appalachian mountains. Good terrain, easy to get to, and lots of choices. Also the people will generally not mind some UNIMOGs showing up.

C.

·
Premium Member
UNIMOG
1,036 Posts

·
Registered
1955 401
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well from what I see Jack you did an awsome job on the MSD,and if you are the main one pushing for a Mogfest,with some help maybe one will come together.This is what I get from MSD(I know there are many more) 1 from Al (plus me) 1 from Kentucky, 1 from S Carolina, 3 fron N Carolina, 3 from Tennessee,and 7 from Florida,now if you (Jack) are the one promoting it and there are this many Mogs listed in the south,seems it would make since to have it here.Now my 401 fits nicely on my trailer so where ever it is Ill be there.

·
Premium Member
UNIMOG
1,036 Posts
Are you on the mailing list for SEMF? I have 54 people signed up on there. Was thirty something last time I checked!

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,148 Posts

·
Premium Member
UNIMOG
1,036 Posts
The problem I had with planning something in 2010, is that most of the good places seem to be too far north. For example the place you listed is a good 15 hours from anywhere in central Florida (by normal vehicle).

I am going to send out an E-Mail to see how far people are willing to travel, and take in all suggestions. Then hopefully I can see what people are willing to do and pick a place to suit.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Understand.

That said I think you are going to have to be 10 hrs or so from central florida to find a good place. Less clay and more hills is the name of the game, which means North Georgia as the closest. More likely TN, KY or NC. Leave VA out of it as there are too many rules there...

Just my 0.02. I will be happy to help if it is nearish to hereish (I am in KY for all practical purposes...)

C.

·
Premium Member
UNIMOG
1,036 Posts
Understand.

That said I think you are going to have to be 10 hrs or so from central florida to find a good place. Less clay and more hills is the name of the game, which means North Georgia as the closest. More likely TN, KY or NC. Leave VA out of it as there are too many rules there...

Just my 0.02. I will be happy to help if it is nearish to hereish (I am in KY for all practical purposes...)

C.
I would agree. South TN would be great, I know there are a lot of ORP's there. Look for my E-Mail through the Mog Mailing List & the SEMF Mailer!

·
Registered
1963 Swiss 404
10 Posts
Mogfest Up North!!!!!!!!!!

Being WAY up here in NW Indiana, the Kentucky area looks best to us Yankees, I would be willing to drive my Swiss 404 to the Blue Grass State..Just my 2 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1965 404 camper
24 Posts
The farther north you go the more likely I am to attend. I agree that there are a lot of us in the northeast that would like to attend.

·
Registered
1955 401
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like its going to be split with people wanting it further south and others further north,maybe south one year and north the next or the other way around? Either being on the eastern side of the US.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078, 1995 M1079, 1079box for sale !!!
5,857 Posts
Last East Mog fest was in VA FWIW. Many years ago though

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
I may be the lucky one because of my central location in East Tenn. But, I drive to Moab every year and have been to NWMF 3 times so distance does not have to be a show stopper. We just have to put together a venue that makes it worthwhile to make a long drive, and develop it year after year. There's no reason our Mogfest cannot equate to the big ones on the west coast.

There are two nice parks in TN. The best offroading in terms of quantity and quality is Coal Creek OHV area near Oliver Springs, TN. This is a huge area of 70,000 acres, there's a campground in the area, a bed and breakfast, and towns within 20 minutes. There's a huge amount of info on Coal Creek, aka, Windrock, on the web, including youtube.

A second choice is Golden Mountain Park OHP near Sparta, TN. This is over 500 acres, offers camping, RV hookups, a bunkhouse (actually little apartments), and is 30 minutes from towns. I visited there yesterday and it's nice. The trail system is not as vast as Coal Creek however.

Indiana and Florida have been mentioned as longer drives. These two Tennessee OHV areas are about equidistant from Chicago, Jacksonville, Washington DC, the NC coast, central MO and AR (roughly 450 miles). That's a loooong day in a 404 Unimog, but doable.

Do we need to schedule for a long weekend? Spring break? If so then expect crowding and limited facilities. If a normal weekend is good, and if early spring or late fall are ok (our weather is nice as early as March or late as Nov), maybe we should just nail down a weekend and a location and run with it?

If we can agree on a location, I'll make contacts and see what dates are available, to avoid other major events.

Edit: I meant to mention that those of you from NY and further, we certainly are not trying to avoid you. Another gathering in your area would be required if more than a day of travel is out of the question. Our east coast is a long coast, 1600 miles compared to 1200 miles on the west coast!

Bob

Looks like its going to be split with people wanting it further south and others further north,maybe south one year and north the next or the other way around? Either being on the eastern side of the US.

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
132 Posts
A couple of offroad events in the southeast that would be nice to avoid.

Georgia Overland Rally - Expedition travel gathering, date not yet set

Southeast Overland - April 14-17, couple days of overland travel in NC and TN. Please don't pick this weekend since I am involved with this.

GSMTR - May 16-22, Great Smoky Mountain Trail Ride, a primarily Yota event but it is at Golden Mtn Park, so it wouldn't be available that weekend.

Trailfest - Southern 4WD Association's event, date not set but has taken place at Coal Creek in years past.

·
Premium Member
UNIMOG
1,036 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone!

And than you smkymtns for those dates to avoid, I was trying to find some! I am shooting for one week in April, which week has not been decided. Hopefully I will be able to avoid all events.

In my research, I narrowed it down to a few locations. My narrowing was based on what information I could find on the internet, as well as location. This doesn't mean all of these would be suitable though, I really need to call and poke around for more information.

Wheelin' In The Country, Woolys Offroad, Windrock/Coal Creek OHV , Golden Mountain and Hale Mountain

Coal Creek sounds like a really neat place, it definitely has my attention.

Any thoughts on any of the other places? I have never been to any of the wheelin' places in TN so any input would be much appreciated.

From the input I have gotten, it seems like almost everyone is willing to make a pretty good hike to this event, even the people in South/Central Florida are willing to go, as well as people as far as Texas/New York/Mass. etc.

·
Registered
1955 401
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Coal Creek sure looks nice, are the trails there wide / big enough for unimogs? I ask because I have been on trails in Alabama,N. Carolina,Georgia and Virgina,most of which fit my LR 90 well but maybe small for a larger truck.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts