Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there part numbers on Mog axles that would tell me what model they are off of? And if there are where are they?
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,821 Posts
Well it depends on which series of unimog axle you are interested in sniffing around for.

The later model trucks, SBU/MBU family, should all have axle rating tags on them. The issues come with 6 lug versus 10 lug, wide versus narrow, 2 versus 3 piece shafts (still fuzzy there, may be wrong) and it all adds up to what may have been a heavy duty service option on an MBU truck might be considered a standard service duty option on an SBU truck.

The 4x6 family trucks which includes the 406/416, 407/417, 419, 421 and Case MB-4/94 should have tags but by the same token may not as they pretty much came in one axle rating and making up the difference in GVW ratings with springs, wheel base etc. Little trucks had low GVW, big trucks had high, big trucks could have really high with the right setup options. The 4x6 family of axle are also the light duty MBU axle or so I am lead to believe.

The 404 family of trucks stand somewhat alone. They don't interchange other than within the 404 series, can easily be setup for steering and while they have the same general layout and components of the later trucks, not much of anything will swap over.

As for the pocket unimogs, the 401/411 family, I don't know much about them other than their systems are much more like the 404 than the 4x6 family but do express may 4x6 traits.

So what family of axle were you looking for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to be going to look at some unknown mog axles that the seller isn't sure what there off of.
I'll try and get pictures of them.

·
Registered
1990 Unimog 1300L, 2004 ML350, 1999 SLK 230,
579 Posts
I would say the first thing to do would be to get the numbers off the axle tags if the tags are still there. These numbers will provide quite a bit of information. With these numbers one can usually also find which Unimog models they were used on through the EPC

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
If they have a drop in center section similar to a ford 9", they are 404 or 401/11 axles. The 404 also has a mechanical lever for the diff lock. If they have a 3 piece bolt together axle housing, they are from a diesel mog; round cab, MBU, or SBU.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I borrow this thread since I think my problem is related.

I have a set of 411/421 axles and one of the differential housings are cracked.
I wounder if the housing from a 406 will fit my axle?
They look the same but are they the same size?
I have the fast axles 25/7 I think. I can just about get the differential out from the housing so I would not be supriced if they are different.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
Are there any casting #'s in the housing? I have a few of the housings from some 406 axles. There is a difference in the housing between the older axles with the smaller splined pinion shaft. The housing is narrower than the later axles. Measure how wide your housing is and I can see if I have one for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont have it close by but the last time I measured it, it was 130mm wide and 300mm in outer diameter.
The housing seem to be made of a two sided casting.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
I just measured the housing I have, and it came up at 139.85mm Let me know if this will work for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have just had my housing repaired. It lookes like the guy did a really good job welding it together. I have not had time to assemble it...
Will post a pic some day.

Another question.
Does anyone know the exact specification on the splies on the shaft between the differential and the portals on the Unimog 421?
The axles lockes hardened but are they?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts