Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was at the junk yard today and the only Benz there was a 126. So I decided I would experiment with some modification. This 126 had the zebrano wood on the doors. The fronts were shot but the rears were in great shape, so I grabbed them for $5
I have wanted the wood panels on the doors for a while, but I didn't want to fork over the $$$ that they tend to go for on feeBay. So I figured, for $5, why not give it a shot?

I knew I would need to do some cutting, as I am planning on using these on the front doors, and I have power seats.

So I made some cut lines using tape, and broke out the dremmel.

My rough cut, before sanding the edge

How she looks now, I still need to take the dremmel to the back side, some of the wood in back is preventing the panel from sitting flush with the door. Ran out of saning wheels, so the rest will have to wait for another day

Here they are together; one cut, one original... It's a good before and after.

I'll try to get these finished and mounted by the end of the week.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI, I just saw these same ones on ebay, with a buy it now of $199... I kind of feel bad for cutting them up now, lol

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
i had a mint set from the yard, i was gonna cut it up but decided that i had too many projects in line so i sold them..

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6, 01 BMW X5, 03 BMW 330i, 73 MGB, 79 Triumph
146 Posts
Looks great.

Take a fat Sharpie or a furniture pen and "color" the cut-line.

·
Registered
2014 GLK250 (ordered new), wife: 2013 Smart cab/Previous: 1985 190E 2.3, 1997 E320, 1992 190E 2.6
526 Posts
VERY good idea. Great work! I look forward to see pics of your next steps and finished results.

BTW, will you recoat them? If yes, with wich type and brand of varnish will you use?

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if I will refinish them. The cutting has not (thus far) damaged the finish... However I may be frefinishing all the wood down the road. I am very curious to see how they would look stained black. But I wont be doing that quite yet, as my wood is all still in good shape (save for the shifter surround) and my interior has not been changed over to black yet. More up dates coming soon...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts