Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Brilliant Silver
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who are squeamish, turn a way now. You won't want to see this!!

After crushing my front bumper twice coming down my very steep driveway and paying nearly a thousand to get it fixed each time, I decided to fix it myself. Yeah I know, I'm an idiot! I bought a used nitrogen welder for $400 and proceeded to spend the next month practicing on ruined bumpers I got from a local bumper repair shop. Once I thought I had it down pretty good, I tackled my own bumper. It was worth a thousand to have someone else do it. It was too much work!! But once it was painted and put on it looked pretty good.

And it lasted 2 days before my wife pulled over a curb stop in a parking lot. I needed a permanent solution. I took the top of my newly broken bumper and the bottom of a broken CLS 500 bumper and joined them together. That lifted the front by about 1 inch and I no longer have problems with curbs or my driveway.

This is the result!!

Attachments

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
Looks really good, congrats.
More pics please

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
Its so much better than the stock look, IMO.
Better clearance, more agressive, and no more removable panels that seem to fly off whenever they feel like it.

Post more pics when you have time.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Its so much better than the stock look, IMO.
Better clearance, more agressive, and no more removable panels that seem to fly off whenever they feel like it.

Post more pics when you have time.
I couldn't agree more with you Alex it looks stunning :D.

Cheers.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I took the top of my newly broken bumper and the bottom of a broken CLS 500 bumper and joined them together. That lifted the front by about 1 inch and I no longer have problems with curbs or my driveway.

This is the result!!
I really like the look compared to several of the AMG bumper mods that I've seen, it flows with the lines, but I wonder how that would work out now that I've installed the H&R Springs and lowered the car 1.25"?

BTW, if you want to sell your Tow Hook covers on our board please ask NEOKEN to post your pictures and price.

Note: AMG tow hook covers are now listed at $404.00 each unpainted at Auto Parts - Parts.com,

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Brilliant Silver
98 Posts
BTW, if you want to sell your Tow Hook covers on our board please ask NEOKEN to post your pictures and price.

Note: AMG tow hook covers are now listed at $404.00 each unpainted at Auto Parts - Parts.com,
Thanks Lynn but you may recall another posting "Missing Tow Hook Cover" where someone was trying to find a tow hook cover and I sent him one of mine. I sent the other to another member so I no longer have any.

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
That bumper looks like it was made for the R129! How did you join the halves? Fiberglass and resin? Did you have to do any sectioning on the lower half to match the dimensions of the top half and fender openings?

·
Registered
98 Brilliant Silver
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That bumper looks like it was made for the R129! How did you join the halves? Fiberglass and resin? Did you have to do any sectioning on the lower half to match the dimensions of the top half and fender openings?
The nitrogen welder allows you to melt the bumper material. You use additional fill material from "plastic welding rods" (just pieces of bumper plastic) and add enough to fill the gaps between the two sections. Fill it enough so the weld is about 1/8 inch higher than the rest of the surface. Then I had to do a lot of sanding. The secret to getting a smooth look is to use body puddy, not bondo, to fill in the small gaps. I did section the lower half into 3 pieces to get it to look right and then added metal mesh overlapping the insides of all seams for reinforcement. Fender lines were perfect so I didn't have to mess with that. And I did have it professionally painted!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts