Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a modern radio, GSP plus screen, MP3, XM-Siris system.
The pop-up screen seems like a "hard to see" position.
What system have you put in the radio slot?:surrender:

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
SRHsl600 you could have a look on Ebay and see if you find something that suits your needs :). Also do you have a Bose sound system in your car?

Cheers.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bose system behind the drivers seat. 6 dics CD changer in rear driver side trunk recess and a cassette insert on the radio face. The slot is a single, and is mid position on the stack, climate control above and closed storage below.
Anyone replaced the factory radio slot with a "pop-out screen"? How easy is it to use, see or was the modernization a nightmare?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bose system behind the drivers seat. 6 dics CD changer in rear driver side trunk recess and a cassette insert on the radio face. The slot is a single, and is mid position on the stack, climate control above and closed storage below.
Anyone replaced the factory radio slot with a "pop-out screen"? How easy is it to use, see or was the modernization a nightmare?

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
Radio replacements that fit neatly

Not sure if this helps but I have a Clarion CZ500 that fits perfectly as if it was positioned by OEM.

Picture attached. There's a USB cable in the storage compartment below which I can connect to Ipod (but not iPod Shuffle dang it)

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Hi,
My '97 500 came with a Pioneer AVIC - X1 ready installed, a Sat Nav, DVD, CD, MP3 and motorised Flip-up screen all squeezed into a 1 DIN slot. It's a brilliant bit of kit (should be at £2000 original price! - now discontinued I think) which will guide me anywhere in Europe, but you're right the screen is low down and isn't easy to see in bright sunshine, especially since I have a Pano roof which makes the interior very light. Probably the biggest downside of a flip up screen is that assuming your unit is in the lower slot, it will obscure the Air Con unit (so set that first), but not the vents. You can swap the units, over so that the screen is higher, but then you'll obstruct the vents, which to me is worse. I do find it a little 'Star Ship Enterprise' for the R129, and if it dies I'll replace it with something more in keeping, but it's a nice-to-have extra especially since someone else paid for it! :) Best of luck in your search - I hope this helps either way. Here's a photo.
Regards
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
92 300E 4MATIC(DD), 93 500SEL(Pa), 04 ML500(Ma), 86,88 190E(sold),'76 Sahara Yellow W123 200 (RIP)
193 Posts
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1568937-92-500sl-widebody-identification.html

At 0:20 on the video I posted, there's a deck mounted above the center air vents. In my dad's S-class that's where the keypad is for the carphone(I pop it out to impress the ladies when I drive it, lol.) Not sure if that's what you have in the SL, but something to think about, I think the higher position is much better suited for a GPS as you don't have to lower your eyes from the road to view the screen.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts