Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now we all know I will lose this race ....well we both went around the turn about 20mph....he floored it and I floored it....he DID NOT LEAVE ME but I didnt catch him...we were at a stalemate but only got to about 75mph, the next light his girl smiled but he didnt race but turned around...so...this is my first loss? Did he have a fake STI? BlackBenz if I had your 55 with the supercharger I would have taken him...or if I had a supercharger I would have taken him...LAWD I gotta get me one I LOVE my CLK

·
Registered
w208
1,462 Posts
ya an STI should def win but i had an instance where an STi didnt leve me n it was 95% real STI or a really really good fake lol ....so im jus guessin he dinno how ta drive or wasnt gunnin it all the way or somtin ....i dono..but i was runnin even wit him till i backed down cuz the upcomin turn (i cant handle corners like him ..esp b4 i had my suspension work lol)......
in terms of tryin to c if it was rebadged...the STI should have the big rear wing, bigger hood scoop, and some other cosmetic differences that are easily notable ...

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looked like an STI...big wart on the hood, big whale wing and all.....badges everywhere...I heard the fart cannon loud so he had to floor it..I guess

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
There are several points I wanted to make. First off, this story is totally believable. It was from a rolling start which negates the STI's AWD advantage (I'm guessing the STI was pretty much stock and not a 2006+). I found this with a google search: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5.1; 13.8 (0-60; 1/4mile). Having said that, my CLK430 has run 14.0 with some heavy ass 19's on it with very little drag experience. By eliminating the AWD launch and assuming the STI was stock you should be about even. Another thing people usually forget is that the drivers play a HUGE role in racing. He could've started in the wrong gear, short shifted, etc etc. In this one instance you stayed even with him, so congrats.
You would've crushed him with a s/c

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
I think the CLK would take the STI in top end, besides, I'm not sure what the torque on the STI is, but our cars have pretty good torque. Aside from that, as BB mentioned, he is AWD, which I believe loses any and all effectiveness in the long run. Unless you're running a Gallardo and up.... assuming we're talking bone stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts