Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Black ML 55 AMG
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this on Mobil's web-site:
"You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a high-endurance motor oil designed for longer service intervals. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed. "

I am currently running Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 and I am going past the normal 3-4 thousand mile change period now. I often wonder how an oil can last that long. The filter has to play a large factor with running oil that long. Dirty oil is dirty oil now matter what kind it is. What are your thoughts on oil mobil's claims on Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

Sealluke

Link:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Reading between the lines, it would seem that any extended performance oil doesn't want to rely on too many polymers that offer the extreme range of 0W-40 ------ 15W-50 is not so much of a stretch and not as much to break down over time.

Agree with Bazzle, you'll get better start-up protection with 0W or 5W especially in a cold winter of USA or Europe. - My own preference is for the 5W-50 Mobil 1

Did I read something about extended oil changes had to use fleece type filters?
If you are running a 230 this is currently not an option

Oberoi

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
15w50 is better suited to my 450SL. Even down here in south Texas, I use Mobil1 0w40...(and fleece filters in my 320's).

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Mercedes seems to be all over the board on which oil to use in it's cars. 10w-30, 0w-40, 15w-50 and many others have been approved at some time or other almost everywhere. I have used 15w-50 in my SLK's since they were new, and only went to 0w-40 when I couldn't find 15-50. They all work fine unless you run into EXTREME cold or hot temps. In those EXTREME temps, then you would want oils that handle that heat range better.
If you don't believe, ask Mobil directly, like I did..............:D

·
Registered
2003 SLK32, 1999 C43
34 Posts
15/50 in SLK32?

I've used Mobil1 15/50 in all my cars and love it. After Benz issued the bulletin re: 0/40 for all newer engines, I asked a Benz tech about continuing to use 15/50 in my 99 C43. He said that it was fine, no need to switch to 0/40. He told me that at the time (1999), they were only using a semi-synthetic 15/40 for those cars. I just bought a 03 SLK32, and I've been trying to figure out if I could use 15/50 in the 32 as well. I just hate the idea of using 0/40- it pours like water! I don't really care about sacrificing a bit of fuel economy, I'd rather protect the engine from the heat. I'm in SoCal and the temps here are never very low, but it gets bloody hot! Just didn't know if the 32 engine/supercharger would be ok on the 15/50. Bruce, sounds like you haven't had any problems with it in the DC area? Do you use 15/50 year round? Bazzle mentioned 5/50, but I've never seen it here at any of the auto supply stores and I don't think it's available here except maybe by special order. Only 0/40 5/30, 10/30, 10/40 and 15/50. Of these, I think only the 15/50 is labled "Extended." So far I haven't heard any good reasons to use 0-40 in the 32 yet. If I'm missing something, please weigh in. Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
101 Posts
Thinner oils have one advantage over thicker oils, all other aspects of the oil being the same: they pump more easily. This means that on a cold start up (being when the majority of engine wear occurs) a thinner oil will pump through and lubricate the engine components faster than a heavier oil. The colder the ambient temperature (and thus the various engine components) the more important the issue. One way to address matters is to fit a pre-oiler which pumps the oil around the engine before you start it.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Yes, I have used 15w50 since the car was new. I wanted the heavier oil since I got the car in July, and it's HOT in July in the Washington area, and the engine ran hot as hell itself when it was new. All that heat requires a thicker(?), more heat resistant oil in my mind.

There is a lot to be said for lower viscosity oils, especially on start up, but with the way that the synthetic oils tend to stick to everything they touch, I have to question the need for the super low viscosity 0 and 5 weights, they use them in Hondas, but we aren’t driving Hondas. If the temps drop to below freezing as they do in Winter, and since I have to change the oil anyway because of mileage I’ll go to 10w30, but that doesn't always happen and 15w50 is what I'll have much or all of the Winter.
Keep one thing in mind though, I tend to drive very slowly when I leave the house, and continue to drive slowly (not over 30mph) through the neighborhood. By the time I get to the main road I have reached normal operating temps.

As to pre oilers, that is one way to handle things, but in Alaska the bush pilots have a easier way of handling things as I recall. They dump gasoline into the crankcase or oil tank to “loosen” it up, and as the engine warms up the gasoline evaporates and they are back with the viscosity they started with.
NO, I don’t recommend doing that… :big laugh:

·
Registered
2012 SLK350
400 Posts

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
The recommended oil for an SLK 230 is actually 0W-40. Of course, YMMV.

What's the right oil for my car?
That of course is the CURRENT recommendation, If you bought your car new in 1998, and read through the Owner’s Manual you would find different information. The data that is in the manual is different depending on where you bought the car and what year you bought it…
The ///AMG cars all came with a recommendation that they use Mobil 1, this is contrary to what Mobil 1 stated in their own directions for proper break in of an engine. So you are still pretty much open to what you want, or need for the area you live in. :)

The fact is almost all of these cars are out of warranty by now, and you will have to do any repair work on your own. If the car was/is still under warranty and there is an engine failure, all they have to do is show you didn’t use the recommended oil and you pick up the tab yourself.
The old conventional oils work just fine if you can change them out every 3,000 miles, but if you want to run 10,000 miles between oil changes you need to go with synthetic oil. Personally I have always thought that 5,000 miles is enough on even synthetic oil and that’s where I change it now.
Probably well under the limits of wear on the oil, but oil is still the cheapest consumable your car needs. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts