Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
E430 4matic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now I have done it, stupid stop sign and curb! Just took out my drivers side bumper trim and a wheel. Anybody have some stock 17" wheels they want to dump! I also would take any advise on where to pick up a used wheel. Who would guess that 1" of snow and a little ice could take out the mighty 4matic so easy!:mad:

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
674 Posts
4matic won't stop you any quicker!!!

·
Registered
2001 Benz E320 w210 79k miles . Picked up 6/16/08
165 Posts
did you have esp aka traction control on? also flip the console switch from s to w.. i made it through all the mn snow, and watch others spin out

·
Registered
E430 4matic
15 Posts
My 4matic is great in the snow but stopping distance is the same regardless of drivetrain! I use four snows(Continentals under a General label made in Germany) which help improve control.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Well now I have done it, stupid stop sign and curb! Just took out my drivers side bumper trim and a wheel. Anybody have some stock 17" wheels they want to dump! I also would take any advise on where to pick up a used wheel. Who would guess that 1" of snow and a little ice could take out the mighty 4matic so easy!:mad:
ebay.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Be sure to have the suspension and front axle checked out, too.

The inside of the wheel has the part number, should start with A210. Google it and you should find some out there...in addition to ebay and CL.

Good luck.

·
Registered
E430 4matic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I know all about the stopping, but in my defense we had freezing rain and I had to go home from work. But I do deserve all the "shots"! I got all the repair parts on a few parts websites. Grand total for all the parts = 170.00, not to bad. That includes a used, but in good shape wheel!
For the record, yes the ESP was on and working, but the turn in for the gas station was uber-icey. 5 mph plus standard curb and stop sign = $200 plus pride!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,716 Posts
When I was living in 4-seasons I spend hours training ice driving. Local Fire Department was spraying water on old airport runaway just for the purpose.
When it come to clean ice, the only way that works is prayer. Sounds like it worked well for you? ;)

·
Registered
'82 300td (sold)
304 Posts
+1 on ice driving. The Glacier Lakes Quattro Club has a series of time trial ice autocrosses in the Twin Cities area every winter. Judging from event photos, all marques are welcome. One caveat: ice autocrossing is addicting!

Aside from that, winter tires are a must, and -- the main advantage of ABS and other electronic traction controls is that you can steer while braking. So many people hit the binders and freeze up as the car slides straight on into an obstacle. Not that that's necessarily what happened in this fender-bender, but it's worth mentioning as winter sets in...

Check this out: Ice Driving, Lake Cynthia, GLQC Feb 10th

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,716 Posts
I never had a chance to do real ice driving with ABS and ESP. One time I tried going sideways on snow covered empty parking lot, the computer cut me off from engine control till I come to full stop. Packed snow is having good traction comparing to real ice.
Than from what I remember from clean ice -the traction on it is so minimal, that once you start going sideways, the only thing that can stop you is a curb, or road sign :D

·
Registered
'82 300td (sold)
304 Posts
I never had a chance to do real ice driving with ABS and ESP. One time I tried going sideways on snow covered empty parking lot, the computer cut me off from engine control till I come to full stop. Packed snow is having good traction comparing to real ice.
Than from what I remember from clean ice -the traction on it is so minimal, that once you start going sideways, the only thing that can stop you is a curb, or road sign :D
Watch the Subie in the above video turn, under control, on bare ice. It's on a frozen lake with no pavement.

Proper use of left-foot braking makes it possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts