Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
02 ML320, 96 C220
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened twice already. What happens is the Ml's parked in the garage and when I start it up and put it in reverse and back out, the ML gets stuck! What gives? The first time it happened to me I thought it was because I had mud stuck because I haven't washed the truck since a trip to Tahoe. However the second time I did wash it and it's still got stuck.
I was forced to give it more gas and it finally becamse loose.
Has this happened to anyone or anyone have a clue on what's going on?

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
please explain---what do you mean by got stuck. Does the ML not pull in either reverse or forward gears? [?]

·
Registered
497 Posts
02W163 - 4/1/2005 6:50 AM
This happened twice already. What happens is the Ml's parked in the garage and when I start it up and put it in reverse and back out, the ML gets stuck! What gives? The first time it happened to me I thought it was because I had mud stuck because I haven't washed the truck since a trip to Tahoe. However the second time I did wash it and it's still got stuck.
I was forced to give it more gas and it finally becamse loose.
Has this happened to anyone or anyone have a clue on what's going on?
What may have happened is that the parking brake was stuck on, this is especially likely to happen if you have wet the brake.

I always use the parking brake because I do not like the weight of the vehicle hanging on the parking pawl in the gearbox, however, I don't tighten the parking brake very much if the vehicle is parked on nearly level ground.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1,126 Posts
FWIW, my old Integra did this as well

If the parking brake gets wet and you let it sit long enough to dry, it sticks when you release it so it doesn't truly release until you break it loose. Of course, w/ the Integra, you could drive w/ the parking brake on, unlike the ML which seems to have a real working parking brake ;-)

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
That use to happen to an old Ford I had. When left for a period of time, rust would form on the rotors and drums effectively binding the friction material to the metal. I would have to give the engine lots of gas to break free.

If you have mud on you rotors, that could be a source of moisture causing the same problem. Try cleaning the rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
02 ML320, 96 C220
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: FWIW, my old Integra did this as well

That sounds like a possible cause but if this keeps happening... off to the stealer, I mean dealer.

The integra's parking brake sounds like the volvos as well! You can drive off with it'll feel like nothing at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts