Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C55 AMG and 2007 ML63 AMG
80 Posts
If I understand what you're saying, the AMG Sport Package is not an option, but is rather a required package, on the 550? Is that what you were told? Makes no sense to me.

Also, is Distronic eliminated for ALL Benzes, or just the ML?

·
Registered
ML500/S550/M5
325 Posts
maybe they're doing that for the launch of the ML550, as it was shown or unveiled with the sports package in that one picture that's been circulating of the black ML.

later it may become an option.

i wish i had waited a year....'07 ML500 will lose to an '08 550 :(

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
They're probably just doing it like the Launch Edition S550 which had standard designo Graphite and Denebola wheels and few other options standard.

·
Registered
2010 ML 350; 2011 SL550
90 Posts
I have been trying to order the ML550. Don't know about the required AMG option. However, I am told that there is no Distronic. This seems crazy because I have verified that there is a Distronic option on the ML350. Makes no sense!!!

I have Distronic on all of my other MB's. Want it here too. UPSET.

If anybody has clarification on this, please share it with all of us.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
ML500/S550/M5
325 Posts
they may be tweaking the way the system works, just because it's available on the 350 doesn't mean it operates identically in the 500/550. I remember when we got our S550 last year (one of the first from our dealership), The Night Assist option was temporarily unavailable even though the initial few automatic allocations (non special ordered vehicles) had them and all S600's had them (standard option).

but that kinda sucks - they should have made the 'appearance package' standard or something instead of AMG.... it'll become so common now :( AMG W164's were def. more rare before. Now it'll be like the C-Class, where half the cars look like the premium C55 AMG upon first glance. bad move on Mercedes' part. they probably overproduced AMG bumpers and wheels and people didn't want to cough up the cash to order 'em :)

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
^^Same thing with the S550 Launch Edition and the GL450 Premier Edition. Some options were not included in the launch and premier and some were not orderable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, for those of you who are ordering, has the base price (not including AMG pkg) of the ML550 increased over the 500?

PS - have they added anything else to the Launch Pkg besides the AMG?

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
2010 ML 350; 2011 SL550
90 Posts
They do not have pricing info yet.

However, I think I have put together an idea of why there is no Distronic available now. Probably because the launch edition appears to require the AMG Sport configuration.

Those of you familiar with Distronic know that the radar shoots out from behind the big Star logo in the grill. Well, the new AMG grill appears to be 3 dimensional and thus unable to allow the radar signals to pass throught it!!

I think once they are through with the launch edition production volume, then cars will be orderable without the AMG Sport option but with Distronic.

At least that is what I am hoping for.

Any others with more verifiable information?
Mark

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
red308 said:
They do not have pricing info yet.

However, I think I have put together an idea of why there is no Distronic available now. Probably because the launch edition appears to require the AMG Sport configuration.

Those of you familiar with Distronic know that the radar shoots out from behind the big Star logo in the grill. Well, the new AMG grill appears to be 3 dimensional and thus unable to allow the radar signals to pass throught it!!

I think once they are through with the launch edition production volume, then cars will be orderable without the AMG Sport option but with Distronic.

At least that is what I am hoping for.

Any others with more verifiable information?
Mark
You mean with the real star in the middle that actually sticks out a few mm? Why not just replace the star with the flat plastic Distronic cover like current MLs equipped with it?

·
Registered
2010 ML 350; 2011 SL550
90 Posts
I would love to replace the 3-D star with the flat one. However, since you can't
order the Distronic option yet, there would be no reason to do so.

·
Registered
ML500/S550/M5
325 Posts
what i meant to say was, i don't see how the star looks any different? the grille in fact looks identical to my car's.

and asianml's point is valid, the 'star' could have just been the way they did it on the CL or CLK - replace it with the "filled" version.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
revolt1112 said:
what i meant to say was, i don't see how the star looks any different? the grille in fact looks identical to my car's.

and asianml's point is valid, the 'star' could have just been the way they did it on the CL or CLK - replace it with the "filled" version.
I think that's exactly what he meant. For cars equipped with Distronic, they'll have a flat grille star made plasticky (non-3D). For cars that don't have it, you get the regular grille as you've shown above in the ML500 ML550 pictures (3D). See the difference between equipped CL and non-equipped CL and you'll see what he's talking about.

·
Registered
2010 ML 350; 2011 SL550
90 Posts
Yes, asianmi has it right.

Have waited for a clarification on the 2008 ML options for over 5 weeks and my salesman has no information. At this point, I have begun to evaluate brand-x
alternatives. Still like the ML the best, but my wife won't drive it with the AMG sport suspension cuz it is too firm. Oh, well.

·
Registered
ML500/S550/M5
325 Posts
i don't know about 2008, but at least for '07 the "321 AMG Package" didn't change the suspension at all. It's purely aesthetic.
i guess we were all saying the same thing, except i still don't see why it couldn't be offered on the 550. the star or grill didn't change between the '07 500 and the '08 550, yet Distronic was offered on the '07 500, with or without AMG package. See what I'm saying?

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
revolt1112 said:
i don't know about 2008, but at least for '07 the "321 AMG Package" didn't change the suspension at all. It's purely aesthetic.
i guess we were all saying the same thing, except i still don't see why it couldn't be offered on the 550. the star or grill didn't change between the '07 500 and the '08 550, yet Distronic was offered on the '07 500, with or without AMG package. See what I'm saying?
Hold up. I think you're getting things mixed up.

He said he wants the flat grille which is used for Distronic instead of the normal one. But he says there would be no point in getting it since Distronic isn't offered on the ML for 2008.

·
Registered
'10 Mbz S550, '03 Mbz C240, '03 Audi A4 2.0 Stroker, '08 Lexus SC430 PB Edition, '07 Prius
643 Posts
The suspension isn't going to be changed on the ML550, so there is no point to look for alternatives, because an X5 for example is much firmer than the ML550, the 550 is going to be one of the fastest SUV's on the road, hopefully when my lease is up i'll get an ML550. So anyways, there's no suspension changes all u have to do is get airmatic and the ride will be like an old Cadillac Fleetwood, but with better handling and POWER!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts