Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ml55
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My ML had good brakes if you needed to jump on them they will pull your face off. Have you ever experienced the BAS going off?
The brembo brakes on the 163 are just fine. Try replacing the rubber braided lines for the stainless braided lines. That will improve the pedal feel.
never had the BAS light go off. thanks for recommendation of the lines ... i will look into that.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,836 Posts
never had the BAS light go off. thanks for recommendation of the lines ... i will look into that.
Question was not about BAS warning light but rather BAS taking over your braking. It was developed to counteract our hesitation to brake hard in panic situation. When it takes over it will make you kiss that SRS symbol on steering wheel.:)

·
Registered
2002 ml55
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Question was not about BAS warning light but rather BAS taking over your braking. It was developed to counteract our hesitation to brake hard in panic situation. When it takes over it will make you kiss that SRS symbol on steering wheel.:)
ah... no. i never did the panic stop... if i am testing them i usually hit the brakes hard in a rapidly gradual manner

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,605 Posts
ah... no. i never did the panic stop... if i am testing them i usually hit the brakes hard in a rapidly gradual manner
From a stop, accelerate moderately and then instantly hit the anchors. It should kick in if your quick enough.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,836 Posts
BAS looks at time of gas pedal off to brake pedal on. If it is fast it considers it panic stop and takes over. ABS does the rest.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,836 Posts
Ordered hoses October 28, received November 8. Cost $96.91 including shipping. Good deal considering that fronts are $99 a piece, rears $25.

This is set of two front and two rear hoses. Includes copper seals for front banjo fittings. They look to be well made. There is strain relief at each crimp.

IMG_20191109_132658.jpg
IMG_20191109_140656.jpg
IMG_20191109_140745.jpg
IMG_20191109_140906.jpg
IMG_20191109_141000.jpg

·
Registered
2002 ml55
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ordered hoses October 28, received November 8. Cost $96.91 including shipping. Good deal considering that fronts are $99 a piece, rears $25.
Cool. did you order from goodridge direct or another supplier? are these DOT approve ?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,836 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,605 Posts
These are the Hel ones. My friend dropped these back to me yesterday. I’m going to see if they fit my friends SL500.

·
Registered
00' ML55 AMG, 98' E430, 95' S320
77 Posts
I have a 2000 ML55, I have tried just about every possible basic improvement (stainless steel lines x4, race brake fluid, Brembo Pads, and Stoptech Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors). Honestly, they stop just fine, but the improvments really didn't seem to add very much feel, or braking strength, at all. Pedal feel is still mushy (always has been), and while they stop just FINE, they don't feel great.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have a 2000 ML55, I have tried just about every possible basic improvement (stainless steel lines x4, race brake fluid, Brembo Pads, and Stoptech Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors). Honestly, they stop just fine, but the improvments really didn't seem to add very much feel, or braking strength, at all. Pedal feel is still mushy (always has been), and while they stop just FINE, they don't feel great.
yeah... this was my understanding as well. seems like you really chased after trying to improve the brakes. I tried to do a BAS stop in the 2000 ML yesterday .... i think i was able to make it happen just once... it didn't catch me by surprise at all... i could just feel the brake pedal pull down / give way a little under my foot (I think thats the BAS kicking in... not sure)

I will do the stainless steel lines... just for good measure... not expecting much... but... will be happy to be pleasantly surprised. Originally, I was planning to replace the calipers completely... but was advised to not do that. (happy to save money...)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts