Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ml55
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound "dumb"... and I know it has been asked in the past in the forums... the best thread i could find that was informative was here.

Ok... I have been refreshing ml 2002 ML55... kind of doing something along the lines of a restomod ... i have already shared some info related to it in various threads.. but for most part, I am waiting for everything to come together before really showing what the project will look like

brakes: suck... weak point on the ml55. yes its a truck... and no... i dont accept it
tried: pagid pads (huge improvement).
goal: bigger brakes, larger rotors, greater brake pressure

can someone inform me what would be involved (as an example) of getting a set of calipers like these from a 2012 CLS 63 or E63 AMG to adapt them to a w163 ?

compared to (ml55) :

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,744 Posts
This is going to sound "dumb"... and I know it has been asked in the past in the forums... the best thread i could find that was informative was here.

Ok... I have been refreshing ml 2002 ML55... kind of doing something along the lines of a restomod ... i have already shared some info related to it in various threads.. but for most part, I am waiting for everything to come together before really showing what the project will look like

brakes: suck... weak point on the ml55. yes its a truck... and no... i dont accept it
tried: pagid pads (huge improvement).
goal: bigger brakes, larger rotors, greater brake pressure

can someone inform me what would be involved (as an example) of getting a set of calipers like these from a 2012 CLS 63 or E63 AMG to adapt them to a w163 ?
That's the first I've heard that ML55 Brakes being a weak point. Our 02 ML500 has the same brakes/calipers. They work perfectly well.
What is the issue? soft pedals (heard a few complaints)

EDIT:
Search a little harder - found this on the first pass - https://www.benzworld.org/threads/ml55-brake-upgrades.2182210/

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
600 Posts
Maybe you need to go to the ml 500 brakes the silver caliper stops sooner then the red one does! I drive both a 350 and 500, I find the 350 a little sub par, the 500 more then adequate. Looked into putting 500 brakes on the 350 but the work involved is not worth it. A 55 does not weigh much more then a 500, 100 pounds aprox.

The problem may not be your calipers but the system, Pads have more to do with stopping then the caliper does. When did you last change them and what did you use? Looks like you used Pagid Pads, how long ago? Many here use the Brembo pads.

When did you last change rotors or have them resurfaced? Use a drilled rotor?

Have you bleed the system or replaced the fluid in all these years?

As to your original question the mounting holes on both look to be in much different positions, hard to tell from the photos.

There is a lot more to braking then just calipers.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the first I've heard that ML55 Brakes being a weak point. Our 02 ML500 has the same brakes/calipers. They work perfectly well.
What is the issue? soft pedals (heard a few complaints)
yeah... its the soft pedal feel.... want to get rid of that. thoughts?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
More reading - if you haven't found these

·
Registered
2002 ml55
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you need to go to the ml 500 brakes the silver caliper stops sooner then the red one does! ...
haha :)

The problem may not be your calipers but the system, Pads have more to do with stopping then the caliper does. When did you last change them and what did you use? Looks like you used Pagid Pads, how long ago? Many here use the Brembo pads.
relatively recently ... 1000 miles probably (?)

When did you last change rotors or have them resurfaced? Use a drilled rotor?...Have you bleed the system or replaced the fluid in all these years?
I haven't done

·
Registered
2002 ml55
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were they fine before?
the 2002 has felt soft since i have owned the car... the other ml55, 2001, feels softer than the 2002 (even after it got a new master cylinder, pads, system flush)

i guess i am used to a feeling of instant "bite" ... instead of a mushy pedal feel? Am I expecting too much, or should they be more responsive?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
the 2002 has felt soft since i have owned the car... the other ml55, 2001, feels softer than the 2002 (even after it got a new master cylinder, pads, system flush)

i guess i am used to a feeling of instant "bite" ... instead of a mushy pedal feel? Am I expecting too much, or should they be more responsive?
Have you started reading thru some of those older posts? to get more insight?

We dont have the mushy feel on ours - both my daughters ML430 or the ML500. I'll compare the brake pedal feeling on both later today when my daughter's off work. And compare, with the E50 and c230k too. Personally, dont recall noticing any spongy feel to the suv brake pedals. Brake hiss on the ML500 was the only brake issue we had and I resolved that with a simple fix on the underside (footwell) a few years ago. No issues since (knock on wood)

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
600 Posts
Have you checked the ABS unit? leaks from the washer fluid res been known to cause issues.

Many have said All i did was change the pads never opened the system. Then they reported even though that was the case after bleeding them it was much better. Just a thought. Was it soft 1000 miles back before the change.

Of course you checked for leaks?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
600 Posts

We dont have the mushy feel on ours - both my daughters ML430 or the ML500. I'll compare the brake pedal feeling on both later today when my daughter's off work. And compare, with the E50 and c230k too. Personally, dont recall noticing any spongy feel to the suv brake pedals. Brake hiss on the ML500 was the only brake issue we had and I resolved that with a simple fix on the underside (footwell) a few years ago. No issues since (knock on wood)
I agree with you with exception of 350 vs 500

·
Registered
2002 ml55
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

We dont have the mushy feel on ours...
Thanks for doing that... i read through one of the links... it is actually helpful.. will look at them later when i can digest it properly (thanks again)

Have you checked the ABS unit? leaks from the washer fluid res been known to cause issues.

Many have said All i did was change the pads never opened the system. Then they reported even though that was the case after bleeding them it was much better. Just a thought. Was it soft 1000 miles back before the change.

Of course you checked for leaks?
Actually, now i am starting to think i may have taken for granted that the ml55 had mushy brake feel...because of my experience with the 2001 ml55 ... so.. now i am going to give more attention to the 2002 .. just make sure everything is in order... i am surprised that i may be completely off about my assessment of the brake system / calipers...

that would be good for me $$$

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
600 Posts
Post back if you try anything and how it works out for you. could save others some time.
There is one write up from someone who by passed the ABS module to get rid of the mushy feel, I am not going to even tell you where that is. JUST PLAIN STUPID. besides if he were ever in an accident the lawyers will nail his coffin shut.

Besides Federal Law says disabling an Auto Safety system is against the Law.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,607 Posts
My ML had good brakes if you needed to jump on them they will pull your face off. Have you ever experienced the BAS going off?
The brembo brakes on the 163 are just fine. Try replacing the rubber braided lines for the stainless braided lines. That will improve the pedal feel.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
600 Posts
My ML had good brakes if you needed to jump on them they will pull your face off. Have you ever experienced the BAS going off?
The brembo brakes on the 163 are just fine. Try replacing the rubber braided lines for the stainless braided lines. That will improve the pedal feel.
Good one matt i like that! Have you done it ?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
DOT approved ones....

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,607 Posts
No but I did buy them just before I sold my 55. I never got around to fitting them but I have heard they do improve the pedal when you have older brake lines.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Member pte (Patrick), I recall upgraded his ML500 with DOT appproved s/s braided brake lines front and rear and posted.
Do a search for that as I recall he enjoyed brake pedal improvement on his suv.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you guys are awesome... i am encouraged to go through my system and see where things stand... starting to think i just need to bleed brakes and possibly get new rotors .... i would like to look into steel braided (DOT approved) lines - if they improve the pedal feel.

(probably just had it in my head that this kind of truck should have a 6- or 8- piston caliper for the weight... i’m happy to be wrong)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts