Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
I concur with the above statement ... WELL WORTH it !!

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
63 Posts
Most definetly !!!!! Test drove a '01 ML 55 designo bourbon the same day I test drove a '06 ML 350. Too bad it is gone now, it only had 16,000 miles !!!! Love the 55 !!!!!!

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
If it's pure performance your after I suppose an ML 55 would fill the bill. From a practical side consider this. On the MB website for pre owned vehicles the 2001 to 2003ML 55's with 40K to 49K on them cost as much as a new 2005 ML500SE. There are still plenty of 05's on the lot at that same price. If you look at them, except for 18" wheels and a 5.0 engine they look just like an ML55. Same interior, seats, chrome accents inside and out. I drove both too, and bought the 05 500SE because it had a 4 year warranty, no miles, and the performance difference isn't that much different to me. I can get arrested in the 500 just as easy. Each to their own. Just my view! [8D]

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
If it is speed, then my ML430 is just fine. I got that puppy up to 120 the other day, and 105 going up the curvy mountain.

If you are itching to spend the money, then I would get the ML55AMG.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,555 Posts
The ML55 is a great truck but, in terms of reality, I think Dakat has it nailed

except for this statement: ...If you look at them, except for 18" wheels and a 5.0 engine they look just like an ML55.... The 55 with the sports body looks quite different from any regular ML on the outside. Inside, there are subtle touches here and there that are also very tastefully done to differentiate it from a regular ML. The suspension system is also beefed up and those 18x3 (or is it 18x2.5??) rims show a slightly fiercer stance than you'd get from even a ML500. However, practically speaking, you loose storage space due to the spare in the trunk, the ML500 has a very good kick to it and you can get the 500 new with warranty for the price of a used ML55. I don't know if you can get the sports model anymore, but if you want almost the ML55 looks with very good performance, go with a MY05 ML500 Sport. But man, if you want some very good kick-in-the-pants acceleration (with gas prices what they are and what they may become, I'd think twice about that!!!), get the 55. There are some very good used ones out there.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
This is my take on it......l traded my 1999 ML 430, in on a 2002 ML 55, after l saw the new W164 at the Detriot auto show.....Sorry, guys...the new one doesn't do it for me....lf l wanted a Lexus, l get one from work...we build the RX 330, in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.....Pro's.....Unreal acceleration, don't let anyone tell you any different...l like the subtle differences, like the instrument cluster and the twin pipes in the back...especially, with the 02 model...a far more solid vehicle(go with the 02 and higher).....Con's, a thirsty little fella....but l knew that going in, l'm sure everyone does.....Other than that....l can't think of anything else..so far that l don't like about it....When l am on the highway, it is "sick"..l just love it !!!!!!! The Mercedes 55 engine is bullet proof, l can see why, it is so revered!!!!!ln the end, l wanted to drive a rocket, with a little exclusivity...sounds "snobby"...l know..but heck "l'm paying for it".......lf you are tempted..don't drive one, you'll never go back!!!!!

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
ttaleric: My 00 430 would just flatten out at 120 mph because of the H rated tires so they're governed. The 05 500 I just bought last fall has V rated tires and are supposed to go the full 140 mph. That's 204 feet per second, but I might try it on America's Autobahn (Montana) this summer! Point is that's good enough for me! Value wise I'll trade less hp for the 4 year warranty and a new truck.
Darkmann: I stand corrected. I forgot about the fender flares and other bolt on plastic. Maybe because I don't like that stuff. Just more air drag. Best cd is when the fenders are even with the wheels. I haven't seen any sport models around here. I think the 500 SE looks like the 55 because of the hood. I have actually had people ask me if indeed it was a 55. Only died in the wool ML owners like you would know the difference. Anyway for 48k+ I'll take the new truck over the used kick in the pants. But that's just me. Each to their own!! [8D]

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
519 Posts
My ML stops at 118mph.. Does Powerchips remove the governor?

dakat - 4/6/2005 12:02 AM

ttaleric: My 00 430 would just flatten out at 120 mph because of the H rated tires so they're governed. The 05 500 I just bought last fall has V rated tires and are supposed to go the full 140 mph. That's 204 feet per second, but I might try it on America's Autobahn (Montana) this summer! Point is that's good enough for me! Value wise I'll trade less hp for the 4 year warranty and a new truck.
Darkmann: I stand corrected. I forgot about the fender flares and other bolt on plastic. Maybe because I don't like that stuff. Just more air drag. Best cd is when the fenders are even with the wheels. I haven't seen any sport models around here. I think the 500 SE looks like the 55 because of the hood. I have actually had people ask me if indeed it was a 55. Only died in the wool ML owners like you would know the difference. Anyway for 48k+ I'll take the new truck over the used kick in the pants. But that's just me. Each to their own!! [8D]

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,271 Posts
whats so great about it ? I know its got a bigger engine, but a bigger engine in a ml ...is all that does it ?
It has an AMG engine (one man, one engine), and a specially modified liquid-cooled transmission that shifts much faster than the ML500’s. 0-60 in 6.4 seconds in a 5,000lb+ vehicle that also out-handles a Porsche Boxster in the slalom. I have my dealer keeping his eyes open for a 2002 model for me. I’ve driven almost every AMG model MBZ has made and all I can say is once you go AMG, you’ll never go back!

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Wrong comparison

Though not specified, one would think that the question was if the ML55 AMG was significantly better than the ML500. Of course it is going to be much better than the ML320.

In my opinion, the ML55 is a waste of money over the ML500. The M-class just is not a performance vehicle. Buy an E500 if you want to go fast and still be practical.

DelJ

jarhead83 - 4/5/2005 3:04 PM

Most definetly !!!!! Test drove a '01 ML 55 designo bourbon the same day I test drove a '06 ML 350. Too bad it is gone now, it only had 16,000 miles !!!! Love the 55 !!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well worth it now...

At $40k + for a used one, I wasn't interested. I had a 500hp sports car to feed my "go fast" genes. But now, between reliability concerns and gas prices, the bottom has dropped out of the pricing.

I just picked up a very clean 2000 ML55 with 45k on the clock for $26k with bumper to bumper extended warranty. At that price, it is a hell of a lot of car. As well as the truck accelerates from a roll, what really continues to impress me is the compliance. You can take a cloverleaf at 50mph without a trace of tire squeal and just a hint of bodyroll.

Buy one now, if gas prices ever go back down, you might make money on the car, lol (ok, not likely, but you get my point).

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
RE: Wrong comparison

DelJ - 4/6/2005 9:10 PM

Though not specified, one would think that the question was if the ML55 AMG was significantly better than the ML500. Of course it is going to be much better than the ML320.

In my opinion, the ML55 is a waste of money over the ML500. The M-class just is not a performance vehicle. Buy an E500 if you want to go fast and still be practical.

DelJ

jarhead83 - 4/5/2005 3:04 PM

A "waste of money, may be a stretch"...but you are entitled to your opinion....l'm assuming, that you have driven one, to offer this opinion?????

·
Registered
ML55, E320
550 Posts
Yes. Definitely worth the price differential.
The engine/trans isn't the only difference. The suspension is different, so the handling is much better (on-road). It also includes a bunch of appearance stuff and nice seats. I don't like the fact that a $60k+ vehicle doesn't come with a roof rack, running boards, and other items that are included on vehicles half its price, but all in all it's a nice package - a 5500 pound truck that's faster and drives better than most mass market "sports" cars. It's no Ferrari, but you can't put the kids and dogs, in a Modena (or a Cayenne for that matter-unless you have chihuahuas). The stock Dunlop 9000 tires are amazing in dry or wet weather and if you put some winter tires on (I recommend Dunlop WinterSport M2s), you can go through snow and still have dry and wet weather handling almost as good as with the 9000s. On top of all that, there's the warm feeling of driving something a little more exclusive than the regular ML.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts