Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I use shell 134 for the older 7 speed, no issues.

Good thread, that's a big job for DIYers.

If the car shifts after the repair, then you've done your job right. Pay attention to the shifting, it should be very smooth and the engine rpm should drop immediately between shifts. If it flares, jerks, slams or otherwise act un-Mercedes like, you may need to do the specific gear adaptations. SDS has this, some high end autel scanner have it.

Regarding fluid level, fill with car running and fill-up until it dribbles out when you remove the hose... And then it's done. No need to double check.

Fluid temp should be 80c when setting fluid level. Either SDS/autel, or ir temp gun at bottom of oil pan should do it.
Thanks so much for the heads up. s! So on the fluid I thought it was 45c when making sure the fluid was right, is that not the case? Fortunately for the small amount I tested seems to be great so far on shifting but will drive it a bit more.

·
Registered
2007 ML500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
For the transfer case, spec 236.12 is to be used:

However, "in a pinch", 236.1 can be used:

In regards to checking the fluid level, You can do it, but you have to pump in extra, then repeat the whole flow check process. Unless you have leaks, there is really nothing to consume the oil, and the fact that you need to change it every 40K miles, i see no reason to check the level between changes.
Perfect this sounds great, thanks so much for the everything! I'll get to the transfer case next. One last question regarding the fluid check adjustment, I was thinking it was 45c for when you open the pan etc, but above Deplore was stating 80c, I've seen some different numbers elsewhere as well and just wanted to see what everyone thought.

So far with the minimal testing, I did another 10 miles today and it's been running great. No codes/burnt fluid smell/bad pump sound etc. So hopefully this is a good sign!

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,516 Posts
Really it should make as near no difference if you did the fluid level check at 45c or 80c. The difference between the two is about 100ml or less. Just so long it dribbles out of the (updated version, I hope) hose that you install on the oil pan, you're good to go.

·
Registered
2007 ML500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Really it should make as near no difference if you did the fluid level check at 45c or 80c. The difference between the two is about 100ml or less. Just so long it dribbles out of the (updated version, I hope) hose that you install on the oil pan, you're good to go.
Perfect, and yes, I did exactly that procedure, and in addition to the other upgrades, I upgraded to the deeper pan, with the newer overflow plug and the better filter etc. I also added the magnets Mercedes uses that go with that pan. My smaller (original pan) just had that one thin grate looking magnet.

That's what I was thinking on the temp/amount of oil but just wanted to make sure in case, thanks again for confirming this.

So far shifting seems really good but I definitely think I'm ready to get an SDS setup soon... Just with getting the Autel... It was nice to actually see the sensors giving out readings after doing the solder work, but I think the SDS would be very handy. I'll post another update tomorrow, it's just nice to have this car running again.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,236 Posts
The proper temp to check the fluid is 45C (113F). I have no clue what the volume properties of the ATF are related to degree Celcius, so I'll take Deplore's word for it that the volume difference is only 100ml at 45C vs. 80C. At that small amount, i would not worry much about the difference.

Once thing I just noticed, I stated the transfer case spec is for 236.12. That's actually the same fluid specified for the older 722.6 transmission. And that fluid is no longer available and has been superseded by 236.14. So, logically thinking, you should be able to use 236.14 in the transfer case. I am not sure why I didn't understand that when I originally wrote that!

·
Registered
2007 ML500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The proper temp to check the fluid is 45C (113F). I have no clue what the volume properties of the ATF are related to degree Celcius, so I'll take Deplore's word for it that the volume difference is only 100ml at 45C vs. 80C. At that small amount, i would not worry much about the difference.

Once thing I just noticed, I stated the transfer case spec is for 236.12. That's actually the same fluid specified for the older 722.6 transmission. And that fluid is no longer available and has been superseded by 236.14. So, logically thinking, you should be able to use 236.14 in the transfer case. I am not sure why I didn't understand that when I originally wrote that!
Perfect, thanks so much for confirming, I still have some more of the Shell 134 left, so I'll just use that (unless you think anything else might be better). I also did the transmission at 45C.

So far the transmission is running good, no errors etc.. Unfortunately I found a new issue, there looks to be a very small coolant leak, I didn't touch anything on the radiator/hoses etc., but fortunately it looks like it is most likely a hose that is leaking, I'm just glad it looks like it'll be easy to find and not something like a car that's burning it elsewhere. Were there any major spots to look at? I've seen a lot regarding the W163 but not as many major things on the 164.

Regardless I don't think it'll be too bad. The great news is that the transmission isn't leaking :) I am planning on looking tomorrow for it, it's not a major leak, so it must have just started. I basically put down some fresh plastic down under the car in the garage and that's the only reason I really even caught it. I primarily did this just in case the transmission seals were leaking so I'd catch it etc.

Thanks again for everything!

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,516 Posts
Oil cooler or coolant expansion tank?

·
Registered
2007 ML500
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, I didn't get the time like I planned but the leak is so minimal I'm almost certain it's one of the hoses. Like literally a few drops after it sits for 24 hours. Hopefully this weekend I can get to it... Been busy with a few other car projects still.

Thanks again for everything!! Fortunately the car has been running great so far! Unfortunately we've only driven about 150 miles (highway and city) but all sensors are good/ready for testing on the ECM (state inspection) and no MIL/stored codes/TCM issues etc. I think this is looking really good, I mean before I did this work the transmission was doing awful and would be in limp mode and of course smelling like that burnt transmission fluid.

I'll hopefully have an update on the antifreeze but if anyone has questions on the 722.9 that wasn't answered here, let me know.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts