Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At around 20k, my mother's '03 ML500 developed this terrible brake squeal from the rear. This is not your typical brake squeal. It happens almost 100% of the time when backing up at very low speeds. The rear brakes SCREAM. It can easily be heard from blocks away. Both rear brakes do this, but at slightly different pitches, so they create a very high pitched and loud disonant sound which wants to make you tear your hair out.

It was taken to the dealer and we were quoted $600 to replace the rear pads and rotors. Instead of doing it through the dealer, my dad ordered wagner thermo-quiet pads and brembo OEM rotors for the rear. We first installed the pads using some generic brake grease and took it out for a bed in and test drive. There was absolutely no change in the shrieking brakes. I did some research on this forum and found out about the anti brake squeal paste. I picked up a tube of that, and applied it very generously to the back of the shims, on the caliper lip, and on the sliders. Took it out for another drive and there is still no change. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be and how to resolve it?

Thanks a lot,

Simon

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
I just replaced the brakes (rotors/pads) on the fronts of both our ML and SL with OEM products- the SL still squeals like a banshee!

We tried brake paste and a number of other products touted by others--all to no avail. Did some high speed stops to get `em glowing--again with no effect. We're going to try taking a light turn on the new rotors to resurface and will try a different pad if that 's not the cure.

Our dealer says that the mandate to eliminate asbestos is the primary cause- but I'm wondering if your situation might be parking brake related?

regards-

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Had the same problem on the 02 ML500 that I recently traded for an 06. The dealer changed the pads and rotors about 5 times in the first 5000 miles to no avail. About a year later MB revised the brake pads and the dealer installed them. again with new rotors. This helped greatly and they only squealed when cold and in extremely cold weather. My suggestion is to replace the pads with the latest part number OEM pads and install new rotors at the same time. Use the MB paste but keep in mind that the paste is only a band aid and will eventually become ineffective. They also "surfaced" the new rotors (not turned down). All the V8 ML's have some brake squeal which the W164 does not have as the brakes are different than the W163.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Hey Simon.....l'm going through the same issue with my rear brakes on my 02 ML 55...lt is going in on Tuesday, for apparently new updated brake pads and shims...lf you can wait, l can get you those part numbers to help you out...l had replaced my pads and rotors less than 3 weeks ago, to no avail...Still squealing....So l lost it on them!!!! and dealt with the General manager..forget the service manager. That got things stirred up...you might have to use the threat of bringing in the regional rep..that also will help.[:(!]

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,484 Posts
I have the same problem. Like sosh said, during the summer all was fine. Now that it's gotten colder, it's absolutely unbearable. Mine don't squeal when backing up, only at the tail end of a braking-to-a stop maneouver. I had a lengthy discussion with my SA and one of the head techs and they said it was "normal" Normal my butt - my E doesn't do that, my 02 320 never did that, none of the MB loaners I've gotten from them does that. To make matters worse, they told me that MBUSA absolutely will not pay for any brake squeal related work!!!!!

C-Rod did post a couple of weeks ago about this new pad/rotor. I think we'll all benefit from his review of the new hardware. I plan to go back to my SA and ask one of them to keep the truck for a day and then tel me if that's truely "normal"!!!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Darkmann - 12/18/2005 2:35 PM

I have the same problem. Like sosh said, during the summer all was fine. Now that it's gotten colder, it's absolutely unbearable. Mine don't squeal when backing up, only at the tail end of a braking-to-a stop maneouver. I had a lengthy discussion with my SA and one of the head techs and they said it was "normal" Normal my butt - my E doesn't do that, my 02 320 never did that, none of the MB loaners I've gotten from them does that. To make matters worse, they told me that MBUSA absolutely will not pay for any brake squeal related work!!!!!

C-Rod did post a couple of weeks ago about this new pad/rotor. I think we'll all benefit from his review of the new hardware. I plan to go back to my SA and ask one of them to keep the truck for a day and then tel me if that's truely "normal"!!!
Darkmann, MB picked up the entire tab under warranty for all the work and parts on the 02 ML500 I had. That was thousands of dollars at retail. I was told that they will on the brakes up to 12000 miles. All of mine occurred well earlier than that. You will never get rid of the squeal entirely with your 500. Its lots different than all the other vehicles you mentioned. My new 06 ML500 also has entirely different brakes and absolutly no squeal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate all the responses.

CQRT, my dad and I actually thought it was possibly the parking brakes as well. We removed the shoes completely and did a test, and the squeal was still there so that's ruled out.

C-Rod, that would be great if you can get the part # up for the new pads and shims, also, let me know how it sounds.

At this point I wish I had just gone to the dealer the first time. I'm worried now that if I take it back, they'll blame it on the non OEM pads and insist to do the 600$ job just to have it squeal again. At least if they had done that the first time I could have taken it back and yelled at them. [:eek:)]

Simon

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Simon A - 12/18/2005 5:46 PM

I really appreciate all the responses.

CQRT, my dad and I actually thought it was possibly the parking brakes as well. We removed the shoes completely and did a test, and the squeal was still there so that's ruled out.

C-Rod, that would be great if you can get the part # up for the new pads and shims, also, let me know how it sounds.

At this point I wish I had just gone to the dealer the first time. I'm worried now that if I take it back, they'll blame it on the non OEM pads and insist to do the 600$ job just to have it squeal again. At least if they had done that the first time I could have taken it back and yelled at them. [:eek:)]

Thats correct, you should have not used the aftermarket parts. Perhaps you can put the old MB pads back in before it goes back. But, on an ML500, W163 you will never get all the squeal out.

Simon

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Use Raybestos quiet stop the problem will go away. I work on vehicles for a living, I know what works...

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Brake Squeal Service Bulletin

Here's the latest brake squeal service bulletin. It applies to V8 MLs from model year 2000 to 2005. Part numbers for pad and paste are included.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1130918400000_1133251200000_T-42-10-18E/index.html

163 420 10 20 front pads
163 420 11 20 rear pads

PS. It doesn't apply to the ML320/ML350 with floating calipers. [;)]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RE: Brake Squeal Service Bulletin

Wolfgang - 12/18/2005 10:23 PM

Here's the latest brake squeal service bulletin. It applies to V8 MLs from model year 2000 to 2005. Part numbers for pad and paste are included.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1130918400000_1133251200000_T-42-10-18E/index.html

163 420 10 20 front pads
163 420 11 20 rear pads

PS. It doesn't apply to the ML320/ML350 with floating calipers. [;)]
Wolfgang,

Great post. I noticed in the rear squeal TSB it said

"The following allowable labor operations should be used when submitting a warranty claim for this repair."

Does this mean they will do this work under warranty? If so I'll put the OEM rotors/pads in and take it in with this TSB.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
RE: Brake Squeal Service Bulletin

Simon A - 12/18/2005 7:37 PM
Does this mean they will do this work under warranty?
Yes, brake squeal should be covered to 12,000 mi under warranty as sosh stated above. After that it may be possible to work something out with a friendly dealer.... [;)]

·
Registered
2002 ML500
104 Posts
I just changed my rear brake pads on my 02 ML500 and I do not have brake squeal (knock on wood). BTW the were mintex pads. I used CRC brake paste which works great. I put a layer on the back of the brake pad and let it set for 10 minutes. I then placed the metal shim on the back and sandwiched the paste. Then I put 1 more layer of paste on the back of the shim where the piston touches. So far so good. I never used the mercedes paste so I do not know what the consistency is but the CRC stuff gets tacky after setting. It feels like rubber cement and definitely looks and feels like it will dampen noise or vibration.

Wolfgang: Are the shims in that bulletin the same ones that came with my vehicle or are they a new design?

sosh - 12/18/2005 2:33 PM

Darkmann - 12/18/2005 2:35 PM

Darkmann, MB picked up the entire tab under warranty for all the work and parts on the 02 ML500 I had. That was thousands of dollars at retail. I was told that they will on the brakes up to 12000 miles. All of mine occurred well earlier than that. You will never get rid of the squeal entirely with your 500. Its lots different than all the other vehicles you mentioned. My new 06 ML500 also has entirely different brakes and absolutly no squeal.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
tuRRtleSpeed - 12/19/2005 11:47 AM
Wolfgang: Are the shims in that bulletin the same ones that came with my vehicle or are they a new design?
They are the same ones as far as I can tell. There are probably new ones packaged with the new MB pads. Here are the workshop info system (WIS) infos referred to in that TSB... [;)]

<a href="http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Miscellaneous%20Info/Removing%20and%20installing%20brake%20pads%20on%20fixed%20caliper.pdf">AR42.10-P-0161GI and AR42.10-P-0161-01GH</a>

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
My brand new 2005 ML 500 began to squeal badly when I used my brakes while on traffic. When it was new, it barely squealed, but it was not loud enough to make it a problem at that time. I just returned from the dealer from an appointment, and they performed the following TSB: T-B-42.10/18e

Thanks Wolfgang for the valuable information. I did not mentioned it, but they arrived at the same conclussion and solution. Though, it was valuable to know that there was a potential solution to the annoying problem.

They changed the front and rear brake pads, and so far so good. Not a hint of sqealing.

AC

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
C-Rod,

I'd like your part no's for my AMG ML55 Caliper update mod soon. I'll get the rotors & brakes at the same time. ..... no point just changing the calipers .... given that they might not even match!

cheers

·
Registered
2005 ML500-SE
50 Posts
I replaced the pads on my wife's '05 ML500 with Mintex pads, because I was tired of the terrible brake dust. I used Permatex Anti Seize paste (silver), on the backs of the pads, and bedded them in twice. So far, no squeal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, sorry to bump this back up.

I read C-Rod's post about the new updated pads working for him, so I bought a set from the dealer for $150. [:(!]

Anyway, I want to make sure I do everything absolutely right htis time, so can anyone give me the torque specs on the allen screws that bolt the caliper halves together and the two 18mm bolts that attach the caliper to the car?

I'll let you guys know how the updated pads and shims work out.

Thanks again,
Simon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to bump this back up again. [:p]

I installed the updated pads. I went out for few hours for a test drive and the brakes were perfectly silent!

The part number of the pads I used are the ones in the TSB.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Simon A - 12/24/2005 2:51 PM

Sorry to bump this back up again. [:p]

I installed the updated pads. I went out for few hours for a test drive and the brakes were perfectly silent!

The part number of the pads I used are the ones in the TSB.

Thanks again for all the help!
Hello.."S"....when you installed the pads..did you install the shims as well???? l just wanted to know, because my dealership did not...They just installed the pads and the paste.....[?]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts