Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML 500 FEb 2003
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Had the ML for about 2 weeks and every now and then go over small bumps on odd sides and the ML starts to sway like your in a boat any Ideas what causes this? Also Brakes done 10,000kms and a lot of deep groves I've only done 1,500 kms of the 10,000kms is this common or should I change pads and Rotors to different brand any suggestions
Thanks Cliff [?]

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Try increasing tire pressure. If that doesn't help then perhaps your shocks are bad.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,473 Posts
Bluefin 565 - 5/14/2005 9:47 AM

Hi everyone
Had the ML for about 2 weeks and every now and then go over small bumps on odd sides and the ML starts to sway like your in a boat any Ideas what causes this? Also Brakes done 10,000kms and a lot of deep groves I've only done 1,500 kms of the 10,000kms is this common or should I change pads and Rotors to different brand any suggestions
Thanks Cliff [?]
Is this a MY03 500? Swaying is usually a suspension component issue, and that meand hardware and tire. In high performance cars, the tire is usually the problem, but with the ML, it could go either way. I completely agree with Mickey that you should experiment with tire pressures. If you have some kind of performance tires (I doubt it though), I wouldn't be surprised at the swaying. If you dont have performance tires and the swaying is present at recommended tire pressure, then you certainly have a suspension hardware problem and that could be a host of things - here again, I agree with Mickey to take a look at the shocks. Why? When you hit a bump, the springs basicsally save you from bouncing too high, but the shocks attenuate the up and down reaction of the springs. So look at the scocks, then the springs and if you still sway, get a W164.

·
Registered
ML 500 FEb 2003
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys
The ML500 was Built Feb 2003 Tyres are Continental 4x4 Contacts M&S 275/55 R17 109V tyre pressure at present 35 psi. We I first got ML found tyre pressure 22psi. Shockers seamed to be all right I'm going To drop tyre pressure down too 32 psi see what happens Thanks Cliff [:)]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts