Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Ok I'm going to order one or both of those back probe tool kits.

My son & I tried very carefully using 2 strands of fine copper wire hooked to a 10' retractable clip test lead set & to meter.

Tested for connectivity "BEEP" - all good. Set meter to 2000 Ohms setting.

Tested it on a random piece of wire - it worked & showed from 1.0 down to .001.

We then inserted correctly into the terminals matched by the Pinout chart Test already posted here by Witek.

Got no reading on any attempt - and we tried all 4 wheel sensors & got nothing.
Meter stayed at 1.0 the whole time.

It's a little bafflng as we were very careful.

For sure we are using an 'improvised tool' in the fine strand of wire, versus the proper back probe connectors.

I'll be ordering the proper tools today - thank you both for the ones Khomer & Witek posted.

We did wonder if we have the correct pin out chart for our exact model ML:

When my son put the wire into the terminal back for either 25 or 26 (corresponding to my Left Rear VSS that does work),he noted that the male terminal set (on BAS unit) didn't even have a pin to match the Female terminal on the plug - so he asked the obvious question if we have a mis-match on the diagram.

Appreciate any input you my have after reading this latest update in the Saga of 'reviving our Dead ML' !!!

Hope you're well - David

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,181 Posts
We did wonder if we have the correct pin out chart for our exact model ML:

When my son put the wire into the terminal back for either 25 or 26 (corresponding to my Left Rear VSS that does work),he noted that the male terminal set (on BAS unit) didn't even have a pin to match the Female terminal on the plug - so he asked the obvious question if we have a mis-match on the diagram.

Appreciate any input you my have after reading this latest update in the Saga of 'reviving our Dead ML' !!!

Hope you're well - David
Test 11.0 LR sensor (1.25) Pink, (1.26) Orange. Connector 1 pin 25, connector 1 pin 26.

Take a close up shot of that area.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Will do asap.
Was there a part of that Star Tekinfo document that correlates connector wire Pin # to wire colors ?
If so, I missed it.
Thanks - David

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I thi
Test 11.0 LR sensor (1.25) Pink, (1.26) Orange. Connector 1 pin 25, connector 1 pin 26.

Take a close up shot of that area.
I think I found our mistake. We're supposed to be testing connector # 1 ?
We were testing connector # 2......

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,181 Posts
Wire colors are part of wiring diagram. What is production date? Do you intend to print wiring diagram?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Heres pic of VIN plate, production date of 11/2001

And Connector #1:
Orange wire: pin 26
Pink wire: pin 25
See pic

Yes I will print relevant wire diagram pages.
IMG_20200720_183417.jpg IMG_20200720_175828.jpg
Thanks so much - David
IMG_20200720_175828.jpg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Witek thanks for wiring diagrams. I'll look & print now.

On that connector photo I posted, did wires / colors look correct ?

The nearest row of wires space 29 & 30 are empty, then counts down towards left side....

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ok wow it took a few minutes to interpret that wiring scheme.

I felt like an Allied code breaker trying to decipher the German code, on the eve of their invasion. (re movie 'Battle for Britain').

Thankfully, this invasion by German machinery is somewhat more peaceful - high quality vehicles with finicky electronics, not bombs.

My Lead kit arrives tomorrow - its got an insulation piercing feature as well as standard fine backprobes.

To Veryify:

This test is done with the Electrical connectors OFF the BAS / ESP Module + Ignition Off.

The range given in the ESP Test is very wide: 0.8 - 2300 Ohm.

Does anyone know what the nominal value expected is for a VSS / ABS wheel sensor ?

What to expect ?

Thanks a ton guys !

I am sure hoping to verify / deny wiring & sensor Integrity OR confirm ESP BAS module failure.......!

David in Texas

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,301 Posts
Or you could just remove the ESP module from W210, plug in W163 and find out. Takes all of 10 mins.

Then it takes all of 10 mins to put ESP back to W210 and clear the codes.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Or you could just remove the ESP module from W210, plug in W163 and find out. Takes all of 10 mins.

Then it takes all of 10 mins to put ESP back to W210 and clear the codes.
Deplore I appreciate your point.

My only reluctance is the fact that the BAS / ESP in the w210 is buried under a nest of wires in the box and I'd have to move a lot of them to unplug & swap it over.

Seems like I'd take a chance at disturbing 20 year old wiring & potentially cause other issues to do the swap.

Am I being too cautious ?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,301 Posts
Yeah you're being a little too cautious. It's not that bad, plus this isn't a British car with wiring insulation made out of dry biscuits. Unless you've submerged the car up to the cluster in water recently?

Remove cover, unplug ECU, unplug ESP, remove both as a unit, then remove bolts holding ESP to the board, and plop in 163.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,181 Posts
My Lead kit arrives tomorrow - its got an insulation piercing feature as well as standard fine backprobes.

To Veryify:

This test is done with the Electrical connectors OFF the BAS / ESP Module + Ignition Off.

The range given in the ESP Test is very wide: 0.8 - 2300 Ohm.

Does anyone know what the nominal value expected is for a VSS / ABS wheel sensor ?

What to expect ?

Thanks a ton guys !

I am sure hoping to verify / deny wiring & sensor Integrity OR confirm ESP BAS module failure.......!

David in Texas
Yes, ignition off, module disconnected.

There is no nominal value. Resistance changes with temperature.

Front 800-2300 ohms or 0.8-2.3 kohms
Rear 600-1800 ohms or 0.6-1.8 kohms

Read numbers of the wires for left rear. 1.25, 1.26 number will be something like xxxxx >> xxxxx.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
82 Posts
Try replacement of both wheel speed sensors and the BAS relay

I have found a similar problem with an ML320.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
ABS sensors are new, but admittedly I can't recall on BAS relay - bare minimum I should swap it over with known good one.
If you've read thru all the thread you know we've 'uncovered several rocks'....lol

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,181 Posts
ABS sensors are new, but admittedly I can't recall on BAS relay - bare minimum I should swap it over with known good one.
If you've read thru all the thread you know we've 'uncovered several rocks'....lol
Stay on track. Don't get derailed.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Yes, ignition off, module disconnected.

There is no nominal value. Resistance changes with temperature.

Front 800-2300 ohms or 0.8-2.3 kohms
Rear 600-1800 ohms or 0.6-1.8 kohms

Read numbers of the wires for left rear. 1.25, 1.26 number will be something like xxxxx >> xxxxx.
Ok Ohm measurement done for all 4 VSS - ABS wheel sensors:

FL:0
FR:0
RL: 1155
RR: 0

So, how do 3 show 0 response to ohm test ?

3 bad sensors or connectors simultaneously ?

Seems impossible.

We have the BAS / ESP module 'off line' - disconnected - so it can't be affecting this test.

I'm totally open to suggestions !
I was thinking of pulling each wheel / sensor connection & measure if AC volts coming from sensor itself.
Or voltage coming from wiring to sensor.

Witek if you or others have those values I should find, much appreciated !

FWIW let me try to link my video of Ohm Test. (May need PC to do this)

Thanks much for all the help - David

·
Registered
W163 W202 W203 W246 MB100D
68 Posts
strange that 3 have no readings, unlikely all are bad at the same time.
I would probably check at least one of the sensors directly (FL or FR or RR) , just to prove it works and eliminate that as a problem. not sure what values to expect but shouldn't be zero

something like this video around the 5minute mark, different car, but thinking ML should have a connector as well near each wheel
was planning to do this when I had all 3 lights bas/esp, ets, abs lighting up (which was due to a relay but now fixed), good thing the scanner showed me all my abs sensors working so I didn't have to go under the car.

or let's wait for a better suggestion from more experienced members

good luck

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,181 Posts
Ok Ohm measurement done for all 4 VSS - ABS wheel sensors:

FL:0
FR:0
RL: 1155
RR: 0

So, how do 3 show 0 response to ohm test ?

3 bad sensors or connectors simultaneously ?

Seems impossible.

We have the BAS / ESP module 'off line' - disconnected - so it can't be affecting this test.

I'm totally open to suggestions !
I was thinking of pulling each wheel / sensor connection & measure if AC volts coming from sensor itself.
Or voltage coming from wiring to sensor.

Witek if you or others have those values I should find, much appreciated !

FWIW let me try to link my video of Ohm Test. (May need PC to do this)

Thanks much for all the help - David
There is no such thing as 0 ohms. Touching both meter leads together may lead to 0 ohms reading but that is because meter does not have enough resolution to show such low resistance.

Grab an H7 halogen bulb and measure it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Sorry about that.

The 3 suspect sensors actually read 1.0 on the display, set to 2k ohm range.

The Left Rear sensor did show 1155 ohms.

It was also the only one that showed functional on the Live Data ABS during Road Test using NT530 - it accurately showed road speed.

The H7 bulb showed .4 ohm @ 200 ohm setting and .000 or .001 @ 2000 ohm setting.

Here's my test of the wheel speed sensors:

Thanks David

61 - 80 of 114 Posts