Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
Wow this is timely.

Our ML500 has truly nasty valve cover gasket leaks. Mostly on the top near the intake and towards the back of the engine.

I'm thinking upon removal, its gonna take some major league effort to clean these covers !

I used to own a real deal parts cleaner that has a 5 or 10 gal capacity but no more.

Any suggestions ? Just lay them on cardboard & go to town with Gunk Foamy Engine Bright, wait & scrub ?

Yes I did get OEM MB Gaskets.

I belive this M113 needs plugs so this is the time to 'double up' on the project isn't it.

But the ML500 has never run better !

I got the new radiator in, no leaks hurrah !

And the new 'donor' right front Cat from the rear set removed from the w210 has been fully accepted - no CEL.

Time for a clean engine....

Post your pics to inspire us once you're done with the project please.

David in Texas

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,636 Posts
Guys, it took me a while to find this link, but this could very well be your problem and Kent provides a extremely detailed video on how to correct it . Hope this helps !!

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,636 Posts
And yes, if you are going to tackle this project, it is definitely the time to change out the 12 or 16 spark plugs because you will have excellent access to them. So if you plan in the future to change your spark plugs and change your valve cover gaskets and change your breather cover gaskets......THIS is your must-watch video of the process and Kent tells you why this is a perfect project for the owner to do and not the dealer, whom would charge you a bucket-full of money for the time/labor involved !

21 - 24 of 24 Posts